How would you deal with this argument?

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 1 Average
22-05-2014, 06:18 PM
RE: How would you deal with this argument?
(22-05-2014 04:41 PM)WhiskeyDebates Wrote:  
(22-05-2014 03:30 PM)diddo97 Wrote:  There was never hope for me anyway. We're all damned to hell.

I'm not, I'm fucking adorable.

Pics or it ain't so.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-05-2014, 06:20 PM
(22-05-2014 04:51 PM)diddo97 Wrote:  
(22-05-2014 04:41 PM)WhiskeyDebates Wrote:  I'm not, I'm fucking adorable.

What gives you the right to say that? Why so arrogant?

What the fuck? Maybe people have said so, and demonstrated it. Maybe it's confidence.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
22-05-2014, 06:54 PM
Re: How would you deal with this argument?
There's a reason to trust your brain if God did exist? That makes less sense than the question being posed.

If God existed none of your thoughts or actions can be assured to be of your own mind.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like ClydeLee's post
22-05-2014, 07:07 PM
(22-05-2014 06:18 PM)Chas Wrote:  

Pics or it ain't so.

You bring the whiskey and the camcorder and you got yourself a date.
22-05-2014, 07:22 PM
(22-05-2014 04:51 PM)diddo97 Wrote:  

What gives you the right to say that? Why so arrogant?
After enough whiskey, anybody looks adorable. Big Grin

@DonaldTrump, Patriotism is not honoring your flag no matter what your country/leader does. It's doing whatever it takes to make your country the best it can be as long as its not violent.
23-05-2014, 12:07 AM
(21-05-2014 09:46 PM)diddo97 Wrote:  Without God, I have no reason to think that my brain can be trusted at all. Therefore, I can't use thought to disprove God. (Sort of like Eric Hovind's "Without God, ya can't know anything". His wording is quite poor though, since it leaves several loopholes.)

Um....

Given that your brain holds your belief in OR disbelief of God, how could you trust either? Or for that matter, how can ANYTHING that passes through your brain... including sight, sound, hunger pangs, emotion, etc... be trusted? Why trust this argument that you just posted?

Either we don't have the ability to know anything... and that includes knowing whether there is some god... or we do. If we do, proof is valuable. If not, then we can't know that we do not, and also we can't trust that we aren't wasting our time.

But hey, you know what? Let's assume our senses have at least something to do with the world around us... no brains-in-vats... but let's not trust our reasoning process entirely. Let's actually look for every possible way of testing our ideas against reality. Let's form hypotheses. Let's conduct experiments that give reality a chance to falsify these hypotheses or not. Let's do this at every conceivable opportunity.

And then let's go big. Let's examine our own thought processes. Let's analyze which modes of reasoning tend to produce ideas that are verified in reality, versus which modes don't. Let's construct lists of fallacies on this basis. Let's reject as unreliable arguments grounded in those fallacies.

And then let's realize that what you've posted isn't actually an argument.
23-05-2014, 03:16 AM
(21-05-2014 09:46 PM)diddo97 Wrote:  Without God, I have no reason to think that my brain can be trusted at all. Therefore, I can't use thought to disprove God. (Sort of like Eric Hovind's "Without God, ya can't know anything". His wording is quite poor though, since it leaves several loopholes.)

Without Jupiter, I have no reason to think my brain can be trusted at all. Therefore, I can't use thought to disprove Jupiter. (Without Jupiter, ya can't know anything")

Without Apollo, I have no reason to think my brain can be trusted at all. Therefore, I can't use thought to disprove Apollo. (Without Apollo, ya can't know anything")

Without Shiva, I have no reason to think my brain can be trusted at all. Therefore, I can't use thought to disprove Shiva. (Without Shiva, ya can't know anything")

Without a brain you can't know anything...and you don't.Facepalm
[+] 2 users Like Deltabravo's post
23-05-2014, 07:55 PM
Well, you are using your brain to think of your supposed god, so how do you know that your brain is not deceiving you in the first place?
[+] 2 users Like UndercoverAtheist's post
24-05-2014, 03:35 AM
(23-05-2014 07:55 PM)UndercoverAtheist Wrote:  Well, you are using your brain to think of your supposed god, so how do you know that your brain is not deceiving you in the first place?

Interestingly there is tonnes of empirical evidence we deceive ourselves about supernatural issues, but zero evidence of god.
You need faith to prove god, yet only need observable reality to show the absence of one.

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
[+] 1 user Likes sporehux's post
24-05-2014, 05:03 AM
In many ways this is like saying "I can't trust my hands. Every pretty woman that walks past, my hands reach out and slap their ass. They are so irresponsible. I just can't trust them."

But seriously. You know what happens when your brain doesn't map as close to 100% of reality as humanly possible ?

You get severely injured, you may die, end up locked away in a looney bin or you become religious.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results