How would you disprove god?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-11-2011, 11:37 PM
How would you disprove god?
I was watching atheist and creationist videos on Youtube when I came across this one:

For the strong atheists here, how would you go about answering the question? There are so many avenues to approach it from that I personally would have problems laying out the evidence point by point in a smooth, coherent discourse. I guess I could come at it from the following areas:

1. Existence - The BB is our best guess on how the universe came about. This also explains the origins of the planets, stars, and elements.

2. Genesis - Abiogenisis and evolution explains the plethora of flora and fauna, including humans, that we see today.

3. Morals - Religions from all over the world have similar morals, meaning they are common traits to human society. They guaranteed strong social groups during our early human and hominid past. Other social animals have their own systems of right and wrong too.

4. Gods - There have been numerous other gods throughout history with plenty of religious documents, historical people, and "eyewitnesses" to support their existence. How can all of them be true? Also, there is a linguistic connection between the names of gods from different religions, such as those from Greece and India. In addition, all religions have reoccurring themes like world trees, serpents, the father in heaven, the evil below, the resurrecting son, etc. Many of the religions can therefore be traced back to the earlier Indo-European culture.

I realize these are overly simplistic and would require more time to explain than a creationist would care to allow, but these are good evidence against him / her / it. I'm sure others can come up with more philosophical based arguments.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-11-2011, 12:10 AM
RE: How would you disprove god?
He claims to have mountains of evidence. I haven't seen it. Doubt i'd find it as convincing as he does.
But never mind. Try this:

I'm arresting you for the murder of James Hoffa.
Prove you didn't do it.

If you pray to anything, you're prey to anything.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Peterkin's post
10-11-2011, 09:38 AM
Typical. He claims mountains of evidence, but never gives an example, and then says all atheists shrug off the "evidence" for Christianity. Evidence that apparently includes the testimony of 500 (from the bible? Other religious books?) that are irrelevant... I can find more than 500 people that would claim to have been probed by aliens. Millions also follow/followed other religions. Testimony is worthless evidence on its own.

Not to mention the supremely illogical "you can't prove he doesn't exist" argument that he ends up making...

Better without God, and happier too.
[+] 1 user Likes Azaraith's post
10-11-2011, 12:06 PM
1) If the "mountains of evidence" is only ancient manuscripts, credibility does not stand. Those manuscripts must be backed by testable, physical, or other types of tangible evidence for it and its contents. If you are to argue that ancient scripture is solid evidence, then you also have to argue that ancient cave paintings are solid evidence for whatever it might depict. Trust me, there are some crazy cave paintings out there. In fact, those cave paintings are even more likely to have been unaltered. Manuscripts are easily manipulable.

2) Just because we can't explain, beyond a reasonable doubt, the origin of life, does not necessarily make the default position, "God did it". If you find money on the ground, there are many possible reasons as to how that money ended up there. It's not a matter of either someone dropped it or someone intentionally left it there. The money could have flown off of someone's table at an outdoor restaurant and landed there. A dog could have taken it off their owners coffee table and dropped it there. A thief could have dropped it while running from the person he/she stole it from. But fact is, we have more evidence to support the scientific theory of abiogenesis than religion with their claims of a deity.

3) The burden of proof lies on the shoulders of those who make the claim. Religion claims that a deity exists. Atheism is not a religion or even a stance. Atheism is just a lack of belief in ALL gods. Atheists do not try to prove that deities do not exist. Atheists refute religion's claim that a God does exist because the lack of evidence. If we follow this "Prove God doesn't exist" logic, then I can tell that theist to prove to me that I don't have an invisible pet dragon. In fact, I can use that theist's exact argument to defend my dragon's existence. This type of logic leads us to nowhere very fast and thus has no place in a debate.
[+] 3 users Like NoahsFarce's post
10-11-2011, 01:17 PM
The goals of an Atheist is not to disprove anything... Remember that we are Atheists due to the lack of proof for the existance of a God.

If your having a debate with a brainwashed individual you have nothing to prove or disprove... they've got to provide the proof. When the guy in the video asked his big stumper of a question.. Show me the evidence that there is no God...

my first thought was all the lacking evidence of the existance of a God could be viewed as "evidence that there is no God."

Anyhow....

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. -- Voltaire
[+] 1 user Likes ddrew's post
10-11-2011, 01:18 PM
The Book of Job. As the oldest extant scripture, its conclusion is paramount: god is beyond understanding. Therefore any true understanding of god can only occur at the personal level, making atheist the only sensible position. Case closed. Big Grin

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
10-11-2011, 01:19 PM
First of all, major LOL at the "mountains of evidence" that atheists just brush aside.
Second, I have an invisible pink dragon in my garage. Prove that isn't so.

PS: there is one version of god that can be disproved, and that's the 3-omni god, which being logically contradictory, it can actually be proved to not exist.

English is not my first language. If you think I am being mean, ask me. It could be just a wording problem.
[+] 1 user Likes sy2502's post
10-11-2011, 01:23 PM
(10-11-2011 01:19 PM)sy2502 Wrote:  First of all, major LOL at the "mountains of evidence" that atheists just brush aside.
Second, I have an invisible pink dragon in my garage. Prove that isn't so.

PS: there is one version of god that can be disproved, and that's the 3-omni god, which being logically contradictory, it can actually be proved to not exist.

3-omni god. Big Grin

There isn't even 0-omni god. That "omni" just bad joss all the way around.

[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
10-11-2011, 04:47 PM
If for some reason I was forced to answer this bumbling man, who at least in his heart is tryingHeart but can't seem to understand the order of logic and what evidence happens to be.

First I would build up to explain how there is no way to prove one God is greater than another God. He tries to claim Jesus is true and divine by the works of holy texts as non-contradictory sources which is hilariously false. Along with the New York Exists, therefore Spiderman exists defense(There's also incorrect time/date location settings founds out archaeologically such as Nazareth or Walls of Jericho), and tops it off with a made up statistical probability... oh and I forgot his kicker that the bible being the most bought book is evidence for why it is true. In fact there is no evidence for any supernatural aspects of the bible or other religious claims on a straightforward equal level.

I'd continue on the point of how we know things about Gods, know how various holytexts were written and where ideas and Gods came from. El has been studied and found to be stolen from the Canaanites as he was their God of War. There were some other biblical references to God's of their religious from their texts that in English until more recently were mistranslated as words. The Goddess Asherah was El's wife and there was a lot of other stories involved you expect from deities. This same trend can be done throughout history and seen the obvious trends of Gods being borrowed from other Gods down to naturalistic reasons of understanding the unknown for why Gods were invented by Man. For instance, those Canaanite God's were seen as borrowed from Syrian Gods. The well known trend is how the Roman Gods were copied from the Greek Gods and nothing is there to prove these Gods exist in any way more or less than YHWH or Brahma.

I'd go on to explain, in the best way I can although I'm no expert, the collection of hypothesis and proven theories that make up the truth that God doesn't need to exist in our order of the world. Breaking it down from the point where evolution is a fact and is seen and proven. It has been witnessed in lab and in the wild directly and the genomes mapped are sufficient proof for anyone willing to grasp the idea. Evolution doesn't destroy God as creator of life, but we have gotten to the reasonable point in studies of Abiogenesis that it has been experienced that proteins required for life can be simulated to be formed in early earth like conditions and while the true answer of how it occurred may not be proven yet, there is the possibility of replicating life in a lab and understanding keeps growing. Now still the universe itself remains a question, but it has been understood on a much greater level these days. The concept of the big bang can be explained by the natural law of physics in order that spread out the space and time we see exist. The multiverse theory is starting to become more widespread in scientific understanding but even with or without it, at this point it seems evident that no God is necessary in answering any of the questions of pre-human/origins of life.

At this point, if you believe in a God with these types of reasoning examined fully and detailed like it has been done for me.. It can only be believing a intentionally deceiving, vindictive, megalomaniac tyrant who wants you to go through the ultimate test of "faith" for no reason or a God who is just synonymous with the laws of the universe or nature which gives little justification to be called a God outside of social fears.

Now that I typed a bunch of what I think most people here are aware of anyway, I will say I think I just needed that to be clear for myself obviously.
[+] 2 users Like ClydeLee's post
10-11-2011, 04:58 PM
(10-11-2011 04:47 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  If for some reason I was forced to answer this bumbling man, who at least in his heart is tryingHeart but can't seem to understand the order of logic and what evidence happens to be.

First I would build up to explain how there is no way to prove one God is greater than another God.

Won my Heart

See how easy that was? No god greater than Gwyneth Paltrow - that's crazy talk. Big Grin

[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post