How would you disprove god?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-11-2011, 05:07 PM (This post was last modified: 10-11-2011 05:12 PM by Azaraith.)
RE: How would you disprove god?
(10-11-2011 04:58 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
(10-11-2011 04:47 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  If for some reason I was forced to answer this bumbling man, who at least in his heart is tryingHeart but can't seem to understand the order of logic and what evidence happens to be.

First I would build up to explain how there is no way to prove one God is greater than another God.

Won my Heart

See how easy that was? No god greater than Gwyneth Paltrow - that's crazy talk. Big Grin

Methinks you have an obsession with Gwyneth lol. Here's a present:

[Image: Gwyneth_Paltrow_BollywoodSargam_hot_408633.jpg]

I don't think the video's author really understands the issues he talks about, so trying to convince him will probably be pointless...

Better without God, and happier too.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Azaraith's post
10-11-2011, 05:12 PM
(10-11-2011 05:07 PM)Azaraith Wrote:  Methinks you have an obsession with Gwyneth lol. Here's a present:

[Image: Gwyneth_Paltrow_BollywoodSargam_hot_408633.jpg]

Need one for each eye. Big Grin

Should I mention there's 3k pics and multi-gig Gwynnies on this laptop? Big Grin

I'm not actually obsessed. Yeah, right! No, really. After 11 years, I just love her like fellow human being - I used to be obsessed.

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-11-2011, 06:23 PM (This post was last modified: 10-11-2011 09:48 PM by GirlyMan.)
(10-11-2011 05:12 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Need one for each eye. Big Grin

I need one for each hand, Azaraith. ... wait the wife's indicating an interest as well, we may need more. Big Grin

As for the scary question that I'm afraid to answer, "Show me the evidence there is no God.", I don't even bother with the inherent logical fallacies of even attempting to prove a negative, because I agree with him. There is a God and it is us. I am God and so are you. And so was Jesus and his message was the same as the Buddha, "Realize that 'I am God and so are you.'" I just don't see how a bullshit promise of a postmortem preservation of identity is even conceivable or imaginable let alone tenable. That shuts most of the Christians up right away. ... But not all of them, and those it doesn't are the ones I like talking to.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
10-11-2011, 11:03 PM
(10-11-2011 06:23 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(10-11-2011 05:12 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Need one for each eye. Big Grin

I need one for each hand, Azaraith. ... wait the wife's indicating an interest as well, we may need more. Big Grin

As for the scary question that I'm afraid to answer, "Show me the evidence there is no God.", I don't even bother with the inherent logical fallacies of even attempting to prove a negative, because I agree with him. There is a God and it is us. I am God and so are you. And so was Jesus and his message was the same as the Buddha, "Realize that 'I am God and so are you.'" I just don't see how a bullshit promise of a postmortem preservation of identity is even conceivable or imaginable let alone tenable. That shuts most of the Christians up right away. ... But not all of them, and those it doesn't are the ones I like talking to.
You prolly like me, a lifetime of epiphany. It's August of 2008. My boss wants me to "recycle the ceiling tile;" a job I know is straight crap. I'm up on the ladder when I realize that my "Gwynnite morality" is every bit as valid as Christian morality. I turn my head - and see a future 300 years down the road (but perhaps not this timeline) where one of the worlds few religions is Gwynnite - worship of Gwyneth Paltrow - that everybody knows is harmless fluff.

Boss comes back later, after I smashed all but eight tiles. I'm smiling, he just gives me the look... did get a two-buck an hour raise that month...

Yay Gwyneth Paltrow, I'm saying - it could have been worse. I could have obsessed over Lindsey Lohan... yikes! Big Grin

10-11-2011, 11:06 PM
I would tell him that I CAN'T prove that there is no God and that no one else can either. I’d also say that I can’t prove that there is a God and that no one else can either. In my particular case, these admissions are central to my worldview.

I like what Drew said:
Quote:The goals of an Atheist is not to disprove anything... Remember that we are Atheists due to the lack of proof for the existance of a God.

I think that that statement really cuts through a lot of the spin and really gets to the real issue. Nice shot, Drew.

It strikes me that an Atheist could simply say, "Y'know what? I can't prove that God doesn't exist. I admit that. But that's irrelevant to me. I'm an Atheist because there is no proof that he does."

It seems to me that the whole can/can't pissing contest is just that, a pissing contest. In the wind no less. I don't see why people can't just be like, "I believe in the absence of evidence," and, "I will not believe in the absence of evidence." I mean, there is no evidence. Anywhere. Of any kind. So it seems to me that any honest and intelligent discourse has to begin with that understanding.

I will say this. When the guy fired off his list of evidence, a couple points piqued my interest, but on a couple I was calling shenanigans pretty hard-core. That being said, I think whatever evidence he has is either hearsay or circumstantial.

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
[+] 1 user Likes Ghost's post
10-11-2011, 11:15 PM
(10-11-2011 11:06 PM)Ghost Wrote:  I would tell him that I CAN'T prove that there is no God and that no one else can either. I’d also say that I can’t prove that there is a God and that no one else can either. In my particular case, these admissions are central to my worldview.

I like what Drew said:
Quote:The goals of an Atheist is not to disprove anything... Remember that we are Atheists due to the lack of proof for the existance of a God.

I think that that statement really cuts through a lot of the spin and really gets to the real issue. Nice shot, Drew.

It strikes me that an Atheist could simply say, "Y'know what? I can't prove that God doesn't exist. I admit that. But that's irrelevant to me. I'm an Atheist because there is no proof that he does."

It seems to me that the whole can/can't pissing contest is just that, a pissing contest. In the wind no less. I don't see why people can't just be like, "I believe in the absence of evidence," and, "I will not believe in the absence of evidence." I mean, there is no evidence. Anywhere. Of any kind. So it seems to me that any honest and intelligent discourse has to begin with that understanding.

I will say this. When the guy fired off his list of evidence, a couple points piqued my interest, but on a couple I was calling shenanigans pretty hard-core. That being said, I think whatever evidence he has is either hearsay or circumstantial.

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt

What's with the caps. Matt? Wink

I got no beef with you. I just got to thinking "weak atheism" when I read your post. There ain't nothing "weak" about weak atheism; I'm not a "strong" atheist saying "God cannot exist" (which is one of the funniest things I ever heard come out of a human mouth, btw)

I'm just an atheist. As a naive philosopher, I have reduced YHWH to the fourth identity (and the number 4, which is a very large - but numerological - consideration), whereas I consider the statement "I can't prove there is a god and neither can you;" is a denial of the theist's identity. Bad joss, in other words.

11-11-2011, 07:26 AM
The only problem with saying you can't prove God does exist is the religious will say, and believe, that the Bible is all the proof they need. To them that is the period at the end of the sentence. A collection of stories written 2,000 years ago by people that were superstitious and scientifically ignorant is their "proof". If they were on a jury would they believe eye witness accounts or DNA evidence if they contradicted one another?

I like the prove my dragon doesn't exist response. I think I'll go purchase a "Puff the Magic Dragon" book and use that as my evidence.
[+] 2 users Like free2011's post
11-11-2011, 08:53 AM
God is everywhere all the time. Omnipresent! All you have to do is find one place where god is not (for instance, in one of my turds) and it proves he doesn't exist at all!

Done and done, next?
11-11-2011, 09:17 AM
(11-11-2011 07:26 AM)free2011 Wrote:  I like the prove my dragon doesn't exist response. I think I'll go purchase a "Puff the Magic Dragon" book and use that as my evidence.

Hahahaa.... funny.

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. -- Voltaire
11-11-2011, 11:23 PM (This post was last modified: 11-11-2011 11:34 PM by PeterK.)
(10-11-2011 01:18 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  The Book of Job. As the oldest extant scripture, its conclusion is paramount: god is beyond understanding. Therefore any true understanding of god can only occur at the personal level, making atheist the only sensible position. Case closed. Big Grin

Brilliant.
(11-11-2011 08:53 AM)jimmygun Wrote:  God is everywhere all the time. Omnipresent! All you have to do is find one place where god is not (for instance, in one of my turds) and it proves he doesn't exist at all!

Done and done, next?

These words are labels which WE marked onto God. Omnipotent, Omnipresent, All knowning. These are words that the creationists you are debating have created, so i dont think that you can use these words to discredit the people who you rely your argument around. That paradoxical.

Unless God himself said he was omnipresent, you cant disprove his existence by saying he is not somewhere.

Even the big bang theory is a sham. Nowadays there are a dozen ways to theorize the beginning, creationism is not any less credible than these theories. NONE of them are proven.

One of the most modern ways to explain he beginning is the M theory/branes theory which is equally as farfetched as creationism. 11 dimensions in space, multiple universes, blackholes that disappear and disobey the E=mc, laws of conservation. States of matter called the bose-einstein condensate/ TELEPORTATION/ these are theorys which have been PROVEN. They are fact. They are farfetched and we do not understand them. We cannot say that they aren't true just because its beyond our grasp just as we cannot say creationists are not right because it is beyond our grasps. Science contradicts itself(newtonian laws break down at certain points and enter quantum physics, so you cannot use science to debate anything unless you include ALL of science; and the most recent science saids that we know nothing and should be open minded to crazy ideas).

Einstein responded shockingly when he first heard about quantum physics saying "God doesn't play dice with the world", because these ideas are so crazy but yet are true.

The tangible world comprises about 6% of the universe. The rest of the 96% of unmeasured mass has not been seen or touched. How can we say that this proves anything.