How would you live if you had only a year to live?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-08-2011, 05:29 AM

How would you live if you had only a year to live?
How would you live if you had absolutely nothing to lose? If you knew for a fact that you would die in a year? Healthy till then and then it is over? What would be important during that year and what would become irrelevant?

While we have a time-span of an unspecified length ahead of us, we play-act a lot, try to hide our deepest feelings from most of the world. We try to belong, to be accepted, not to stand out too much. We are resigned to the belief that the obvious solutions are all impractical and all we can ever hope for is tiny incremental improvements that never challenge the basic assumptions.

And since most of us live like that, most of the time, nothing really ever changes. In detail yes, in essence no. If I had only a year to live, I would throw caution to the wind and live without worry and fear. I would speak my mind all the time, I would let everyone know exactly how I feel, what I think makes sense, what I think is stupid and cowardly, hypocritical and self-defeating, I would not be intimidated into silence.

Not because I would change anything or anyone, I am a lot more realistic than believing in miracles. But because it is such a pleasure to stand up for what I believe in, to call things by their proper names, to indulge in maximum sanity.

I was born in an age that may prove to be the twilight of humanity. Even if there is a new dawn somewhere ahead of us, and somehow mankind overcomes its self-destructive obsessions, I will be long gone before that happens.

So, if I had only one year, I would want to live it as if I lived in that far-away, hypothetical utopia that I will never see. Not being religious, I have to believe in the here and now, and I won’t be denied a taste of real freedom and real sanity.

And, since I made this decision many years ago, ever since then I have been living as if I had only one year left. It works for me and this make-belief freedom is the most glorious experience I have ever had.

So, let's entertain each other with our fantasies of how we would live if we had only one year left.
Quote this message in a reply
20-08-2011, 09:36 AM
RE: How would you live if you had only a year to live?
I have a little saved up in the bank acct. I would probably go and blow it. Skydiving, a month on the beach, etc... I also have never seen the blue belt of the milkyway in the sky so that would be nice.

"We Humans are capable of greatness." -Carl Sagan
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-08-2011, 10:41 AM
I live expecting to die at any moment, but in some ways am still reserved. However when I had the chance to travel abroad I spent all my money to travel (3 times so far). I am not really prudent, simply a bit shrewd, because I realize as long as I live within conventions they won't let me get certain things without a duration of time.

As it stands if I had one year to live I'd sneak back to Canada and make that year the best year possible for my partner. As it stands I'm recklessly seeking the money to legally change countries so that we aren't separated, but if I knew there was no time I'd do it illegally. I also would get life insurance =p I've always lived for others because that to me is the most rewarding choice, so the amount of time I had left would not mean as much since others would benefit from my actions.

I knew a young teen with muscular dystrophy whose parents let him do as he pleased since he had a short life expectancy. He ended up pretty much staying at home all the time on the computer and really failed to enjoy it as much as he could have. Sometimes when we know we have a limited amount of time we allow depression to set in, and fail to make it the best time ever.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
20-08-2011, 07:22 PM (This post was last modified: 20-08-2011 07:25 PM by Peterkin.)
I'd sort, tidy and clean out all my accumulated junk and destroy any writing and pictures that could embarrass anyone still living.
I have done that second bit once before, when i was 17 and (very mistakenly!) thought i wouldn't be around long - burned a lot of poems, journals and letters that i later missed.

Why don't i sort and tidy the junk? Oh, i mean to, but it's no fun, so i put it off. Does this mean i'll have to spend my last year having no fun? Geez, i'd better get after that junk! But i'll hold on to the memorabilia a little longer.

(PS Lillith - Good luck. In real time.)

It's not the mean god I have trouble with - it's the people who worship a mean god.
20-08-2011, 09:14 PM
Hmm...
Every morning, I'll wake up, have breakfast with my family, and then I will read a book, or learn a new skill.
In the afternoon, maybe I'll relax, help out with household chores, have lunch, talk to my family.
In the evening, I may take a nice walk, go out for dinner with my family.
In the night, if the sky is clear, I'll go stargazing and see the stars. If not, continue my experimentation and hope to discover something new to help the world.

That's it. I just want to spend more time with my family and make everyone happy. Can't wish for anything for except seeking solace, something I don't have for the past 6 years.

Welcome to science. You're gonna like it here - Phil Plait

Have you ever tried taking a comfort blanket away from a small child? - DLJ
20-08-2011, 10:00 PM
Hey where did my post go? Another thread by accident? Anyone finds it let me know.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
20-08-2011, 10:59 PM (This post was last modified: 20-08-2011 11:06 PM by GirlyMan.)
(20-08-2011 05:29 AM)Zatamon Wrote:  And, since I made this decision many years ago, ever since then I have been living as if I had only one year left. It works for me and this make-belief freedom is the most glorious experience I have ever had.

I needed to go down to a week to make it work for me, but I was suicidal for many years so that might explain the difference. But yeah, that is the only way to live. If you're not living that way, you're not living.

I am us and we is me. ... bitches.
21-08-2011, 05:44 AM

(20-08-2011 10:41 AM)Lilith Pride Wrote:  As it stands if I had one year to live I'd sneak back to Canada and make that year the best year possible for my partner. As it stands I'm recklessly seeking the money to legally change countries so that we aren't separated, but if I knew there was no time I'd do it illegally.
Just curious: Why do you need to sneak back to Canada? Most of us folks are very welcoming here (except for our moronic government at the moment -- maybe that's why?).
Quote this message in a reply
21-08-2011, 07:30 AM
There's no open boarder. If I do it all legally I have to leave in 6 months, by sneak in I mean do not return home. They will let me in just fine. I don't have the funds though to afford 6 months right now.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
23-08-2011, 09:18 AM
I'd do things to make sure I can get the best possible cryonic suspension. I've had arrangements for mine with the Alcor Life Extension Foundation since 1990. I decided nearly 40 years ago that a properly advanced civilization would make it a priority to find cures for aging and death.