How would you phase out religion?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-12-2016, 09:01 AM
How would you phase out religion?
I was having a discussion with a group of friends about religion and I stated that If I was somehow in a position of power, I would ban religion.

This led to an interesting exchange on this scenario and I agreed that simply banning religion outright, would not work. It would push people underground and would insight a lot of public outrage and disorder.

Such a huge step, if ever undertaken, would need to be implemented slowly, probably over many generations. Whilst its ban would be unrealistic, working against it could possibly work.

We agreed on these steps, which should be implemented seperately and over a few decades:

- Revoking the tax free status on religious institutes. With a tax increase of 0.2% every year.
- Denying any further planning permission for new religious buildings to be built, or any building to be converted into one.
- A new national anthem, currency, oathes etc to be devised that do not include god.
- Religious literature must be catergorised as fiction if it is sold or gifted.
- Critical thinking to be placed on school's curriculum's and taught, alongside philosophy, throughout a persons schooling career.
- Harsh penalties for those who use religion as a justification to intimidate or harm groups and individuals.

I'm not an expert in any of the above. I am sure there are flaws or ways people would find to attempt to bypass these laws. I'm interested to hear why they may not work and your own ideas on what you would implement.

For those members who do not know, I'm from the UK. I appreciate that the rules i've suggested will probably be met with much less resistance here, as opposed to many other countries. Over here, many think your slightly tapped/deluded for believing in god.

I feel so much, and yet I feel nothing.
I am a rock, I am the sky, the birds and the trees and everything beyond.
I am the wind, in the fields in which I roar. I am the water, in which I drown.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes bemore's post
22-12-2016, 09:13 AM
RE: How would you phase out religion?
What have the Hindus, Buddhists, Jains, Sikhs, Jews, Native Americans, and other such mind-our-own-business people done to warrant the destruction of their religions and ways of life?
22-12-2016, 09:21 AM
(22-12-2016 09:13 AM)Aliza Wrote:  What have the Hindus, Buddhists, Jains, Sikhs, Jews, Native Americans, and other such mind-our-own-business people done to warrant the destruction of their religions and ways of life?

Because religion is bullshit?????

I feel so much, and yet I feel nothing.
I am a rock, I am the sky, the birds and the trees and everything beyond.
I am the wind, in the fields in which I roar. I am the water, in which I drown.
22-12-2016, 09:38 AM
(22-12-2016 09:13 AM)Aliza Wrote:  What have the Hindus, Buddhists, Jains, Sikhs, Jews, Native Americans, and other such mind-our-own-business people done to warrant the destruction of their religions and ways of life?

Not developed quick enough to keep up with western European countries throughout history and in particular the last 600 years and thus not be in a position of wealth and power that said countries, along with the rest of the OECD countries, are at today.

And all those religions and cultures can be plenty aggressive when they want to be, don't be fooled into thinking any of them are "peaceful", Buddhists included.

[Image: oscar.png]
[+] 2 users Like earmuffs's post
22-12-2016, 09:41 AM
In the states, you couldn't do all that without a public upraising.

Mandatory science classes would work here.

Imposing taxes on churches would raise hell but probably worth it.

The rest - it's not important IMO. I am not for banning religion, I am for educating people and removing the financial incentives for mega preachers.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 3 users Like Dom's post
22-12-2016, 09:42 AM
(22-12-2016 09:01 AM)bemore Wrote:  I was having a discussion with a group of friends about religion and I stated that If I was somehow in a position of power, I would ban religion.

This led to an interesting exchange on this scenario and I agreed that simply banning religion outright, would not work. It would push people underground and would insight a lot of public outrage and disorder.

Such a huge step, if ever undertaken, would need to be implemented slowly, probably over many generations. Whilst its ban would be unrealistic, working against it could possibly work.

We agreed on these steps, which should be implemented seperately and over a few decades:

- Revoking the tax free status on religious institutes. With a tax increase of 0.2% every year.
- Denying any further planning permission for new religious buildings to be built, or any building to be converted into one.
- A new national anthem, currency, oathes etc to be devised that do not include god.
- Religious literature must be catergorised as fiction if it is sold or gifted.
- Critical thinking to be placed on school's curriculum's and taught, alongside philosophy, throughout a persons schooling career.
- Harsh penalties for those who use religion as a justification to intimidate or harm groups and individuals.

I'm not an expert in any of the above. I am sure there are flaws or ways people would find to attempt to bypass these laws. I'm interested to hear why they may not work and your own ideas on what you would implement.

For those members who do not know, I'm from the UK. I appreciate that the rules i've suggested will probably be met with much less resistance here, as opposed to many other countries. Over here, many think your slightly tapped/deluded for believing in god.

Your suggested mechanisms would seem extreme in the US. The First Amendment protects a lot of shit. They also have no chance in Congress - more than half the Congress, if not all of it, profess religious beliefs; it's almost a requirement. I doubt there is a single professed atheist on the hill. You won't get past the primaries if you say you don't believe in God. If there are any atheists there, they will keep it to themselves.

Such changes would also be difficult, just because of how things are structured in the US. These are things are typically handled locally, as opposed to Federally.

The only chance for the US, a free education up to a very high level. This does not guarantee the elimination of religion, because a lot of educated people, still believe in God. But it increases the pool of those who don't.

We have to remember that what we observe is not nature herself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning ~ Werner Heisenberg
[+] 1 user Likes tomilay's post
22-12-2016, 09:53 AM
I would look to example of non religious countries, which if I'm not mistaken are Scandinavian ones and copy their solution if applicable.

But it could be long term solution so I would cut all governmental founding to religion and make mandatory church tax coupled with easy church leaving procedure in nearest tax office. Next thing would be education being about more than standardized testing and battle for language - abortion is not murder, being gay is not abomination and sin is meaningless word in secular world. Most important would be increasing quality of life and making people sure that they can count on their own gov assistance when their life go to shit - wealthy and happy people who know that there is real someone who would help them in case of crisis wouldn't be susceptible to opium of religion I assume.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
22-12-2016, 09:54 AM
I don't think it can be done. Any attempt to phase out religion will make people hold to it more strongly.

However, I would definitely support religious institutions being taxed and audited the way other businesses are, especially in terms of real estate/property taxes.
[+] 1 user Likes julep's post
22-12-2016, 10:43 AM
The easiest way is to simply tax stupidity...............

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
22-12-2016, 11:10 AM
I'd say just focus on technological advancement and let evolution do the rest passively. The best way to phase out irrationality is to create a context in which such beliefs create a survival disadvantage.

'Murican Canadian