How would you reply....

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-03-2014, 10:33 PM
How would you reply....
A Christian family member asked this question....

So if by Baptist Christianity you can not enter into Heaven unless you believe in Jesus the Christ and confess your sins and ask
Jesus into your heart-what about all of the Jews especially those killed during Hitler's rule? Did they all go to Hell?

Clearly she is questioning....I don't want to blow her out of the water....I wan't a kind but honest answer.

The one response (this is on her facebook) is this:

Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father, except through Me." No one means no one....there's alot of great people that will not spend eternity with God, because they didn't accept the free gift of salvation. Its open to all...Jew, white, black, Asian....anyone that will place their faith in Christ. We all deserve Hell...but thank God for His Son's life, death, and resurrection.

Thoughts?

Daniel
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-03-2014, 10:57 PM
RE: How would you reply....
you could go a couple different ways.....the two that quickly come to mind are

1. your religion is largely determined by where you were born and the faith of your parents. You can google some more info on this.

or

2. if god is all knowing, all powerful, then he created the Jews knowing they would be destroyed. A quote by Sam Harris :

Quote:Either God can do nothing to stop catastrophes like this, or he doesn’t care to, or he doesn’t exist. God is either impotent, evil, or imaginary. Take your pick, and choose wisely.

The only sense to make of tragedies like this is that terrible things can happen to perfectly innocent people. This understanding inspires compassion.

Religious faith, on the other hand, erodes compassion. Thoughts like, “this might be all part of God’s plan,” or “there are no accidents in life,” or “everyone on some level gets what he or she deserves” - these ideas are not only stupid, they are extraordinarily callous. They are nothing more than a childish refusal to connect with the suffering of other human beings. It is time to grow up and let our hearts break at moments like this.”

there might be other approaches, but its late and I'm off to bed. I'm sure others will chime in too.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 4 users Like Bows and Arrows's post
05-03-2014, 11:15 PM
I'm a serial killer.

I have accepted Jesus into my heart.

See you in heaven!

See how that works?

It may be a little early for her on her journey to enlightenment but you could point out the marketing power, for recruitment purposes, of a low risk / high reward promise like this at the low price (as Hitch would say) of your critical faculties.

I think the key thing here is to NOT supply answers but to encourage more questions and let her work it out for herself.

Say things like "why do think that is?"

[+] 6 users Like DLJ's post
05-03-2014, 11:55 PM
Jesus has a place in Muslims' hearts, too ... So, see them in heaven ?

Want something? Then do something.
[+] 1 user Likes HU.Junyuan's post
06-03-2014, 10:10 AM
Disregard the question. The next time remind this person or anyone else that it states in the bible that Jesus says to "closet your feelings" ie. keep your beliefs to yourself. I wish I could tell you where to look, but alas. I did read it many times to be certain I wasn't reading something else into it.
06-03-2014, 11:49 AM
There are the replies from her family so far. They are obviously Christians. Its hard no to jump in this, but it might not be worth the trouble or effort.....

"Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father, except through Me." No one means no one....there's alot of great people that will not spend eternity with God, because they didn't accept the free gift of salvation. Its open to all...Jew, white, black, Asian....anyone that will place their faith in Christ. We all deserve Hell...but thank God for His Son's life, death, and resurrection."

and

"Did the Jews that died believe in Jesus as their Savior? Who is gonna know? Your relationship with God is between u and God, no one else can depict who will or will not go to heaven but he writes it out plain and clear in the Bible. There are a lot of religions that believe and translate the word differently and are hypocritical but that's not for us to be concerned about, he will judge, not us."

I ended up just suggesting Seth and Charles Templeton's books....if she is curious she can read those.

Thanks,
D
06-03-2014, 09:32 PM (This post was last modified: 06-03-2014 09:36 PM by Chas.)
(05-03-2014 10:33 PM)DeeJay522 Wrote:  A Christian family member asked this question....

So if by Baptist Christianity you can not enter into Heaven unless you believe in Jesus the Christ and confess your sins and ask
Jesus into your heart-what about all of the Jews especially those killed during Hitler's rule? Did they all go to Hell?

Clearly she is questioning....I don't want to blow her out of the water....I wan't a kind but honest answer.

The one response (this is on her facebook) is this:

Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father, except through Me." No one means no one....there's alot of great people that will not spend eternity with God, because they didn't accept the free gift of salvation. Its open to all...Jew, white, black, Asian....anyone that will place their faith in Christ. We all deserve Hell...but thank God for His Son's life, death, and resurrection.

Thoughts?

Daniel

I would reply
"That is one of the ugliest things I've ever read. It is dehumanizing, cowardly, cruel, and irrational to say that we deserve Hell.
There is no evidence that any of it is true; it is used to subjugate the free, cow the intelligent, and punish the willful.
I will live a full life as a thinking, feeling human unafraid of death.
Stick that inhuman bullshit up your ass."

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-03-2014, 09:32 PM
(06-03-2014 11:49 AM)DeeJay522 Wrote:  I ended up just suggesting Seth and Charles Templeton's books....if she is curious she can read those.

Thanks,
D

You know you are dealing with a emotional thing rather than a rational debate, right ?

'Cause one preacher revealed the essense of Christianity, "simple belief", which there's no rational element within.

So I think to find how to convey your message and love without starting a big fight seems more urgent. What do you think ?

Want something? Then do something.
08-03-2014, 12:10 PM (This post was last modified: 08-03-2014 02:54 PM by GirlyMan.)
(05-03-2014 10:33 PM)DeeJay522 Wrote:  Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father, except through Me."

Yeah, Christians generally misinterpret that shit. Girly don't. 'Cause I ain't no fucking fool, .... bitches be crazy and shit.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.