How would you respond to this?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-10-2013, 07:50 AM
RE: How would you respond to this?
I've yet to personally encounter charity work of a religious variety that does not also include some level of evangelization. If it were me, I'd tell her that you will participate in an a secular charity with her, but not one sponsored by her church. She can even pick the secular charity.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-10-2013, 08:09 AM
I have mixed feelings about this issue. On the one hand, I think it wouldn't be such a bad idea to go. If you're open about being an atheist with people at the charitable function, it would probably be great for them to see an atheist out and about doing good things and cooperating with people even though there's disagreement. On the other hand, I know how Christians just want to convert people all the time, so getting you to said function would be like a victory for your Christian friend and your atheism might just be ignored and/or pitied.

Hmm, that's not really advice is it?

Go with your gut!

Atheism is the only way to truly be free from sin.
[+] 2 users Like Colourcraze's post
07-10-2013, 11:31 AM
If it's about the charity there are secular (and even *gasp* atheist!) charities out there. I know in Tulsa the Atheist Community of Tulsa does local events such as soup kitchens and other charitable events. The down side is that you do have to look for these groups, and that they're not horribly common. They generally don't advertise, or at least not very well. Otherwise look into a charity that does things you care about WITHOUT a religious message. Donate to Goodwill, or give blood to the Red Cross. I have been to several Red Cross events, and they never pester anyone about religion.

I was in a speech class where one of the students was a missionary, and stated that they brought aid and relief, and wasn't I such a bad person for not supporting their efforts? I responded that while I sympathized with the bringing of food, vaccines, and blankets, the evangelizing was the last acceptable form of Imperialism and as such was reprehensible. What right did she have to tell them that their culture and beliefs, which were what they clung to, were wrong?

As such I am not one to participate in church sponsored charitable events. If the church wants to help out, wonderful. If people go to the church for aid and relief, fine. But to push it because you fear the invisible big brother will be pissed if you don't? And to push that fear on others under the guise of good will and generosity? Not cool.
07-10-2013, 12:50 PM
The worst thing you can say to her is "no". And whatever Reltzik was gonna say. Tongue

Oh my! Teh Lordz werks in mysterious and manipulative ways. Big Grin

I'm thinking this is more an issue of "Why can't you think like me?" rather than "I want to know why you don't want to do X. Sucks donkey balls.

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
07-10-2013, 02:35 PM
Charity work for the church will only get them more recognition which leads to more funding. If you see religion as a blight, I'm sure you don't want to help it advance.

Secular charities would be the way to go if youre looking to help out. Tell your neighbor you will come to the church when its being rebuilt into a hospital or something useful.
07-10-2013, 02:45 PM
Why is everyone so intent on being polite all the damn time? I'd just tell her to get lost. As you can tell, I'm a lovely neighbour.

[Image: opforum1.png]
[+] 1 user Likes frankiej's post
07-10-2013, 02:51 PM
I'd go anyway. A chance to help people is a chance to help people. If they really need the extra hands then who cares whether it's at a church or not. If it ends up being an exorcism of your satanic atheistic soul don't go again.
07-10-2013, 02:55 PM
The problem with that is that it is appeasement. She has been after the OP to go to church and has used the phrase "get over yourself." That's confrontational and a line has to be drawn. If the OP gives in and goes to this that's seen as caving in and being open to the religion.
[+] 1 user Likes natachan's post
07-10-2013, 03:11 PM
I think it depends.

First, what is the nature of the work you would be doing at the church? If it's something like gathering food for the poor that has nothing to do with religion necessarily, then there would be no harm in participating. On the other hand, if it's something specific to religion, like donating Bibles to the poor, then there's your reason not to help out.

Second, are you already doing any charitable work? If so, that can be a reason not to participate. Tell her you are already doing your part in your own way.

Third, would you be volunteering AT the church or with church members elsewhere? At the church would obviously be more awkward.

Also, I think honest communication is a good idea. Ask her why she thinks her church is the best place for you to do your charitable work. Point out that you can't help but think she is trying to involve you in church activities because you're an atheist and see what she says.

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair
07-10-2013, 03:15 PM
Tell her I don't want you, or any of your crap! Thumbsup

Or say if you want to be doing something good, you'll do it on your own time; not in an effort that supports principals you aren't exactly fond of.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson