How would you respond to this?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-10-2013, 02:51 PM
RE: How would you respond to this?
You could tell her,

"I simply don't want to participate in church activities. So, it happens to be more important to me to freely associate with people of like-minded belief than to have to be forced associate with others for altruistic reasons. In other words, even if it's bad to not do good, I want to do bad to assert my intellectual freedom."

In other words, just say, "I'm an atheist."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-10-2013, 04:53 PM
RE: How would you respond to this?
(06-10-2013 09:12 PM)FICKLEish Wrote:  My very religious neighbor knows that I'm an atheist, we've maintained a friendly relationship anyway. She has, in the past, put a lot of effort into trying to get me to go to her church. I've responded bluntly that I'm not interested in any religion and don't want to go to her church. Her most recent thing has been to invite me to do volunteer work with her church and insinuate that if I were really a good person I would 'get over myself' and just go, because the church is doing this good thing and why should I be opposed to participating. I almost feel like thats true, why should I stubbornly refuse to participate in a good thing...but I just want nothing to do with church or religious people. How would you feel about this and what would you say?
*I've not read this thread. Forgive the peanut. I just HAD to respond with my immediate, unbiased by other posters' opinions opinion.*

I'm a recently self-admitted passive individual. I have learned that I had let people walk all over me in major and (mostly) more innocent ways. I would get offended, but could never find the words to tell them how I felt. Now I am slowly coming into my own and being more vocal when I disagree with something/someone. I'm wondering if you have a tendency to be nice to people when they are offensive to YOUR "beliefs.".

I know you asked how I would respond, but I doubt I woulda done much more than awkwardly stand there, unable to come up with a legitimate reason I am not interested and never would be interested in participating...
This post made me picture you cleverly/swiftly hiding your sudden "wtf did she just say? 'Get over myself?'" Face and politely nodding along. She should get over HERSELF. Who does she think she is? She obviously feels she can say whatever she wants to you and she feels she must be slowly breaking you down over time. If you don't come up with a valid, straightforward response with no leeway for her to challenge your stance, she will continue to do it.

Oh! One thing I do with my religious sister now is by stating, EVERY TIME SHE TRIES TO TALK RELIGION TO ME, is, "We agreed that we disagree about this. I will NOT talk about it with you." *insert smile and change subject* So far, so good.

"It was life, often unsatisfying, frequently cruel, usually boring, sometimes beautiful, once in awhile exhilarating." -Stephen King
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply