How would you respond to this?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-10-2013, 09:16 PM
How would you respond to this?
I posted this in another area, but just discovered this might be a better place to ask the question...
My very religious neighbor knows that I'm an atheist, we've maintained a friendly relationship anyway. She has, in the past, put a lot of effort into trying to get me to go to her church. I've responded bluntly that I'm not interested in any religion and don't want to go to her church. Her most recent thing has been to invite me to do volunteer work with her church and insinuate that if I were really a good person I would 'get over myself' and just go, because the church is doing this good thing and why should I be opposed to participating. I almost feel like thats true, why should I stubbornly refuse to participate in a good thing...but I just want nothing to do with church or religious people. How would you feel about this and what would you say?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-10-2013, 09:18 PM
RE: How would you respond to this?
Guess I posted my response in the wrong place then too...

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
06-10-2013, 09:20 PM
You can do good things without it being church sponsored. Sounds like she is trying every way she can to get you to church.

There are plenty of secular ways to help, she is being pushy and not respecting your boundaries. Don't let guilt guide you.

[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
06-10-2013, 09:29 PM
Personally for me part of the reason i refuse to participate in religion sponsored charity (or any event for that matter) is that it gives credibility to a broken and corrupt religious system. Then again the situation and/or your mentality with regards to your position on this might be different. In my country the roman catholic church is one of the corrupt organizations that hinder our progress. So if they sponsor something i treat is as a hardcore skeptic and carefully assess their motivation. However i will be more charitable in evaluating similar community or family organized events.

If you don't want a sarcastic answer, don't ask stupid questions. Drinking Beverage
[+] 2 users Like ivaneus's post
06-10-2013, 09:34 PM
What are you interested in, or have a talent in? There are often programs to help teach people to read. Abuse shelters need clothing donations. Cancer support groups look for people to mow lawns, run errands, and do other things for people who are going through treatment. You may simply have an elderly neighbor that could use a hand with something...hanging a ceiling fan, trimming hedges. Hospitals and care facillities gladly take quilts, blankets, knit hats, lap blankets and the like for people who need them. Older people who are in care facilities often don't get a lot of visitors. The possibilities are nearly endless if you have the desire and the ability to help.

06-10-2013, 09:44 PM
This is something..Not long ago a church was offering free pizza. Thats fine I guess but when they scheduled it right after the PUBLIC high school let out I got suspicious. Maybe this wasn't exactly charity but it definitely cemented how I viewed such things. What was their motivation, was it to just give out pizza? What if these children were not of the christian faith, would they get pizza too? Or were they trying to send a message. I will not partake of their pizza. Maybe you get the analogy...but I like making things clearSmile You see these organisations are more than just charities, they are news spreaders. Sure its unquestionable that they do good work. (strike that some are down right dangerous, look at the "humanitarian" work Mother Teresa did. Just offered beds..more like sheets on the floor with little to no medical care where disease can spread among them and many died since they weren't properly cared for.) I'm saying they aren't just spreading charity they are spreading the good word.
06-10-2013, 10:06 PM
Tell her you already do charity at a secular organisation and that although you would like to do more charity work,you don't want to help spread a message that religion only does good. Or you can go with a t-shirt that has a huga atheism logo on it...

I don't really like going outside.
It's too damn "peopley" out there....
[+] 4 users Like Lightvader's post
10-10-2013, 01:33 PM
I definitely do volunteer work on my own. I think from now on I'll just be honest and say that I don't want to appear to support religious agendas..
[+] 1 user Likes FICKLEish's post
10-10-2013, 01:43 PM
People call the business where I work and ask for donations, sponsorships, etc. I tell them that the owner already has specific charities that she supports. That is the truth and no one else needs to know the specifics.

Maybe just say that you have a charity that you help support and that is where you invest your time and/or money. If she pushes after that then tell her what you said above. Cause if she goes beyond you telling here that you do charitable work, it's obvious that she is looking to convert.

Maybe she gets a prize if she manages to drag an Atheist to the church. Sheesh...it's so hard to remain polite when they are trying to ram their faith down your throat.

Good luck.

[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
12-10-2013, 10:48 AM
You could tell her that you thought her god looked down upon trying to manipulate people.