How would you respond to this?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-09-2014, 11:50 PM
RE: How would you respond to this?
When I read this, the wording and the tone jumped out at me.

" virtual plague of one-parent bastard children"

"mental disease that is liberalism"

"abusing their free speech rights"

"tyranny of the minority"

"abomination and ludicrous"

Whoever wrote this has visceral hateful contempt towards a lot of other people in their country. It is filled with judgmental self righteousness on subjects that I don't think deserve this much vitriol. It might be worth pointing out to such a person that perhaps it is not everyone else who is the problem, but they who are the common denominator.

I have heard arguments about traditional family structure and values before, but they are usually respectfully presented with emphasis on the well being of other people. People usually argue for traditional family structure because they believe it will make people more stable and happy, not because they are privately disgusted and full of contempt towards "one parent bastard children." The angry spitting way "bastard" is thrown out is enough to make me question this person's ethics and motives. What kind of moral crusader actually uses bigoted labels like that to describe innocent children? It denotes moral outrage over a standard that is not shared by everyone, and which in any case isn't the fault of the child.

I actually don't mind it when Christians claim that they are being overruled or controlled by a minority. Calling it a tyranny is enough to put a genuine smile on my face. It is so easy, even laughably so, to point out how dominant Christianity is in America, that is argument is quickly dispatched, and with pleasure.

I suspect this kind of complaining has more to do with a threat to Christian supremacy in America than upholding history and moral tradition. I have to ask myself if I think they would be defending the founding documents if they established a Jewish or Muslim state. I think these people's primary concern is with their own power and influence than all that. I ask myself whether they would object to displays of religion on public land if they were all Hindu or Muslim? Would they objection to fanatical preaching in the streets and displays of threatening billboards about Muslim hell? I think they would.

It was actually a pleasure to hear a theist, or at least someone who is not a member of this community, genuinely outraged at the idea that Atheism is a religion. Isn't that nice. Just for once, I don't have to argue that point. He almost ruined it by claiming that Atheists are attempting to argue the opposite, but not quite. I can forgive his ignorance.

The argument that freedom of religion is not also the freedom to abstain has become a favorite of mine. This is because of the ease of its explanation. It is rather like establishing a freedom to drink any type of alcohol you wish without coercion, and then insisting that you had better drink something because you are not allowed to abstain. It is actually so silly an idea, that any respectable conversation with someone who believes it should end with them changing their mind and feeling better for it afterwards.

Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, just as it is the spirit of a spiritless situation. The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness.

-Karl Marx
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Dark Phoenix's post
05-09-2014, 12:02 AM
Well, I would use their own weapons against them.

I will hold up a Cross and say three times to those words, "in the name of the Goddess I compel you. I compel you to come out of there you bastard."

"If you want a happy ending, that depends, of course, on where you stop your story." Orson Welles
05-09-2014, 04:50 PM
The thing that bothers me, is that Christianity is the 'religion' they're speaking of, when talking about the US. No other religion throws as many tantrums as Christianity. And they're the abusers of free speech, not atheists.

Ho hum...

Be true to yourself. Heart
05-09-2014, 05:34 PM
I like turtles.
06-09-2014, 03:18 AM
Anyone else notice the separation of church and state comment?
Not part of the constitution? It's what our country is founded on....well one of the many things anyway.
LIAR!

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ