How would you respond to this?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-12-2015, 12:13 PM
RE: How would you respond to this?
Share some knowledge of christian doctrinal interpretation with her:

Hell is allegedly and simply a place devoid of god, thus devoid of good, no fire, no pitchforks, no little demons running around, no eternity in pain.

Source is Reason, Faith and Tradition by Martin C. Albl, Chapter 7 page 188 – describing hell.

"We begin with a reminder of limitations of our language. Since hell, according to Christian doctrine, is a supernatural reality, it can only be described in analogies. Holy Scripture teaches us the essence of hell in images. When it speaks of the fire of hell, it is not to be understood in a grossly realistic sense. The images of fire and pain were ways of expressing the essential Christian understanding of hell – that it is a separation from God. We may define heaven as simply being with God, and hell, in contrast, is simply being without God. It is thus an existence without goodness and without meaning."

Evil_monster

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-12-2015, 07:31 PM
(16-12-2015 09:47 AM)izel Wrote:  
(08-12-2015 05:17 PM)seeker13 Wrote:  I have a friend of my mom's who insists on reminding me of hell constantly since she found out i'm no longer a believer. Today she posted this on my facebook.

"What you believe, is it good enough at THE POINT OF DYING????"

What would you say to that? I have rolled my eyes so hard at this crap so many times. I'm out of responses.

I'd say I don't know, is yours good enough comparing to these?
There are literally thousands of religions being practiced today. Here are 20 of the most popular, along with an estimate of the number of followers:

Christianity: 2.1 billion
Islam: 1.3 billion
Hinduism: 900 million
Chinese traditional religion: 394 million
Buddhism: 376 million
African Traditional & Diasporic: 100 million
Sikhism: 23 million
Juche: 19 million
Spiritism: 15 million
Judaism: 14 million
Baha'i: 7 million
Jainism: 4.2 million
Shinto: 4 million
Cao Dai: 4 million
Zoroastrianism: 2.6 million
Tenrikyo: 2 million
Neo-Paganism: 1 million
Unitarian-Universalism: 800 thousand
Rastafarianism: 600 thousand
Scientology: 500 thousand
(Source: Encyclopedia Britannica)

Wait, wait, wait. Izel, we all know that a huge amount of those christians aren't True Christians™. Your source seems a bit at odds with personal experience which as we all know, is the best kind of evidence there is.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
18-12-2015, 07:39 PM
Maybe you should start reminding her about the islamic hell every now and then.

Afterwards you could just say "Annoying isnt it?"

Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes Talviomena's post
18-12-2015, 07:50 PM
(18-12-2015 07:31 PM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  
(16-12-2015 09:47 AM)izel Wrote:  I'd say I don't know, is yours good enough comparing to these?
There are literally thousands of religions being practiced today. Here are 20 of the most popular, along with an estimate of the number of followers:

Christianity: 2.1 billion
Islam: 1.3 billion
Hinduism: 900 million
Chinese traditional religion: 394 million
Buddhism: 376 million
African Traditional & Diasporic: 100 million
Sikhism: 23 million
Juche: 19 million
Spiritism: 15 million
Judaism: 14 million
Baha'i: 7 million
Jainism: 4.2 million
Shinto: 4 million
Cao Dai: 4 million
Zoroastrianism: 2.6 million
Tenrikyo: 2 million
Neo-Paganism: 1 million
Unitarian-Universalism: 800 thousand
Rastafarianism: 600 thousand
Scientology: 500 thousand
(Source: Encyclopedia Britannica)

Wait, wait, wait. Izel, we all know that a huge amount of those christians aren't True Christians™. Your source seems a bit at odds with personal experience which as we all know, is the best kind of evidence there is.

Well of course, even with Muslims its the same case I'd say. Quite honestly, I'm not even sure how recent these statistics are. This is according to Encyclopedia Britannica Smile

1 Like = 1 Prayer
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes izel's post