How would you structure a critical thinking course for schools?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-02-2016, 01:22 PM
How would you structure a critical thinking course for schools?
I was thinking that examining pseudoscience would probably be a good place to start.

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-02-2016, 01:30 PM
RE: How would you structure a critical thinking course for schools?
(18-02-2016 01:22 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:  I was thinking that examining pseudoscience would probably be a good place to start.

On an age appropriate level, little kids...cartoons...

Slightly older, sit coms, tv shows (would someone really say this? Does canned laughter make something feel more funny or the biggest one how advertisers get you buy their products), some current events or news for older kids.

Jr High and older, getting into pseudoscience, the nightly news...

Showing kids how divide something that's socially true, verses something that's literally true. To make those distinctions.

The biggest problem is steering clear of button issues...abortion, religion, but politics could be fair game. When a politician says one thing, but their donations and voting habits (public record), say the opposite.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
18-02-2016, 01:38 PM
(18-02-2016 01:22 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:  I was thinking that examining pseudoscience would probably be a good place to start.

Start by teaching actual, formal logic. I'm not a teacher, so I don't know which grade level would be most appropriate for this, but the fact that it isn't taught at any point in our current education system is absolutely atrocious.

There is no excuse for being past high school and not knowing what a fallacy is, how to identify non sequitur statements, the difference between premises and conclusions, and so on. And yet I frequently run into adults who don't understand this.

There is no excuse.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
[+] 5 users Like Unbeliever's post
18-02-2016, 01:39 PM
Less workbook stuff, more process based activity.

That is part of what common core math is, and probably why so many parents hate it. It is about learning a process by which to speed up basic math as well as continuing to learn new ways to use and connect math.

For science classes, don't make them about being a history of science, but about doing and learning about scientific processes and discoveries. It's easy to talk about what Darwin did and say it's important, it is far more difficult to put it into context to see how challenging it must have been to connect the dots through basic observation. But you can show students this by having them make the same observations.

Too much of our teaching right now is about making the students listen and not making the students engage and discuss. The result is that I have a classroom full of students who don't (or won't) discuss things with me in class as I try and make them think.

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
[+] 4 users Like TheBeardedDude's post
18-02-2016, 01:46 PM
(18-02-2016 01:30 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  

On an age appropriate level, little kids...cartoons...

Slightly older, sit coms, tv shows (would someone really say this? Does canned laughter make something feel more funny or the biggest one how advertisers get you buy their products), some current events or news for older kids.

Jr High and older, getting into pseudoscience, the nightly news...

Showing kids how divide something that's socially true, verses something that's literally true. To make those distinctions.

The biggest problem is steering clear of button issues...abortion, religion, but politics could be fair game. When a politician says one thing, but their donations and voting habits (public record), say the opposite.

I'm not 100 percent against them talking about button issues. Might be the only time kids are exposed to different view points. But I can understand how hard it would be to walk that line.
18-02-2016, 01:49 PM
Regarding the common core math, I think most people, and even some teachers just heard it's bad, but don't understand why it's good or bad. Many feel the old way of just memorizing shit is the best and easiest to teach.

18-02-2016, 01:52 PM
I get the idea behind it. Try to teach kids to understand whats happening when they add 2 to 3 instead of just memorizing the process. I dont know too much about it my self but I suspect it would have gone over better if parents had be given lessons on how and why they do it (as well as HOW to do it) instead of just suddenly sending it home and everyone going WTF?!
18-02-2016, 01:57 PM
(18-02-2016 01:52 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  I get the idea behind it. Try to teach kids to understand whats happening when they add 2 to 3 instead of just memorizing the process. I dont know too much about it my self but I suspect it would have gone over better if parents had be given lessons on how and why they do it (as well as HOW to do it) instead of just suddenly sending it home and everyone going WTF?!

No clue. I recall when my oldest was in kindergarten bringing home math homework that was all pictures. He's 22 now.

After he was in Jr high school I stopped looking at his homework to be honest. As long as his grades were ok.

18-02-2016, 01:59 PM
(18-02-2016 01:57 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(18-02-2016 01:52 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  I get the idea behind it. Try to teach kids to understand whats happening when they add 2 to 3 instead of just memorizing the process. I dont know too much about it my self but I suspect it would have gone over better if parents had be given lessons on how and why they do it (as well as HOW to do it) instead of just suddenly sending it home and everyone going WTF?!

No clue. I recall when my oldest was in kindergarten bringing home math homework that was all pictures. He's 22 now.

After he was in Jr high school I stopped looking at his homework to be honest. As long as his grades were ok.

Luckily for me I still have 1 or two weeks before I have to worry about this stuff. Tongue
[+] 2 users Like Hobbitgirl's post
18-02-2016, 02:04 PM
I like teaching my grandsons how to investigate an idea. How to logically work through the process of fact finding, hypothesis and analysis. Learning to reason a thing out. The process of critical thinking must be taught before the application can be used. IMO

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]