How would you structure a critical thinking course for schools?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-02-2016, 02:13 PM
RE: How would you structure a critical thinking course for schools?
This one's very good. And it's free wheeeee.

Think Again: How to Reason and Argue

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
18-02-2016, 02:14 PM
I think it could be lots of fun. My instinct would be to tell the kids a bunch of obvious lies and try to get them to discover some of the basics themselves through questions like "Well, you say I'm lying, but how do you know?" It'd probably be a hard thing to design the lesson right. Gradually increase the scope.

Initial lie could be designed to get the idea of testing statements for truth across, then to give the idea that the presenter may actually *actively* cheat - as with a magician - in fact a magician would probably be a good candidate as a teacher. Later lies could be things that kids couldn't possibly check for truth themselves, so will introduce the idea of checking sources and how to decide whether to trust a source.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
18-02-2016, 04:50 PM
I think the old trivium system of grammar, logic, and rhetoric is pretty solid. Still working on that myself.
[+] 1 user Likes I Am's post
18-02-2016, 05:07 PM
(18-02-2016 02:13 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  This one's very good. And it's free wheeeee.

Think Again: How to Reason and Argue

I took this one. It was good. The instructor was funny too.

I just wanted to let you know that I love you even though you aren't naked right now. Heart
18-02-2016, 05:22 PM
(18-02-2016 01:49 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Regarding the common core math, I think most people, and even some teachers just heard it's bad, but don't understand why it's good or bad. Many feel the old way of just memorizing shit is the best and easiest to teach.

I was tutoring students in maths after the onset of "The New Math". While its goals were similar to Common Core, few teachers understood it well enough to teach it. We ended up with several years of failing students.

Besides poorly trained and even incompetent teachers, the text books weren't very good, either. The students' understanding of the concepts supposedly taught were so garbled and confused that I had to unteach students before I could teach them.

I fear that we will see some of those problems with Common Core if those responsible don't learn from that disaster.

That said, there is still a place in education for memorization and repetitive drills. Just like physical skills, it involves brain programming.
Without drills in things like basic math operations, no one seems able to make change without a freakin' calculator.
Spelling and grammar are much the same in this regard as there are regular rules and different kinds of exceptions.

If you can't divide 86 by 9 in your head, you probably had New Math. Dodgy

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
18-02-2016, 05:37 PM
(18-02-2016 05:22 PM)Chas Wrote:  If you can't divide 86 by 9 in your head, you probably had New Math. Dodgy

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 3 users Like unfogged's post
19-02-2016, 09:15 PM
The honors college had a seminar on creationism, homeopathy, and other psuedoscience. It was a course in critical thinking and how to recognize bad claims.

Before that? I have a great deal of love for that being taught in english classes. This is where I learned to connect ideas. It was in these classes they began to teach about how history and philosophy went together in our readings.
20-02-2016, 01:21 AM
(18-02-2016 01:39 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  ...
more process based activity.

Nailed it!

Critical thinking is, at its core, about decision-making.

Good decisions are based on process and facts; not hearsay and rumour.

Wanna know more?

3-day courses (at a 5-star Asian hotel) available for $1,888 + flights and accommodation.

Smartass

(18-02-2016 02:14 PM)morondog Wrote:  I think it could be lots of fun. My instinct would be to tell the kids a bunch of obvious lies

Methinks that happens already.

Dodgy

20-02-2016, 05:31 AM
(20-02-2016 01:21 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(18-02-2016 02:14 PM)morondog Wrote:  I think it could be lots of fun. My instinct would be to tell the kids a bunch of obvious lies

Methinks that happens already.

Dodgy

Jesus Christ Tongue Daily call to prayer? How did they think they'd get away with that?

Anyway I can't help you if your kids are dumb Tongue

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.