How would you successfully eradicate the use of alcohol and cigarettes?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-08-2012, 10:10 AM
RE: How would you successfully eradicate the use of alcohol and cigarettes?
(01-08-2012 08:28 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(01-08-2012 07:06 AM)Chas Wrote:  "all the drugs" includes what?

I think it's pretty obvious what he means is all drugs such as weed, heroin, alcohol, ciggies, party pills (e) etc...
Pretty much any drug you can't get in a pharmacy.

Let's not be pedantic shall we, if you have a point to make stop beating around the bush and make your point.

Here, I will make Chas's point for him.
"How can you be against drugs without being against pharmaceutical drugs. A lot of those have just as bad if not worst side effects as weed or cigs or tobacco."
followed by:
"something about big pharmaceutical being bad".
ending in something along the lines of
"it's not the drugs, it's the people. By banning drugs you take away from human rights and people's right to make a decision for themselves. Something about government interfering in people's lives and not trusting their public."

Is that about right Chas?

If you've got time to post this, how about moving your sorry ass on the Risk game?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-08-2012, 10:21 AM
(01-08-2012 08:28 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(01-08-2012 07:06 AM)Chas Wrote:  "all the drugs" includes what?

I think it's pretty obvious what he means is all drugs such as weed, heroin, alcohol, ciggies, party pills (e) etc...

Let's not be pedantic shall we, if you have a point to make stop beating around the bush and make your point.

"How can you be against drugs without being against pharmaceutical drugs. A lot of those have just as bad if not worst side effects as weed or cigs or tobacco."
followed by:
"it's not the drugs, it's the people. By banning drugs you take away from human rights and people's right to make a decision for themselves. Something about government interfering in people's lives and not trusting their public."

No.

Well, many people around here could use a little pedantic.Consider

A strong statement like "ban all the drugs" needs to be quantified. It is strong and likely imprecise. If you want to have a useful discussion, carpet bombing is not effective.

I say we decriminalize drugs use and possession; regulate and tax. And I do mean all the drugs.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Chas's post
01-08-2012, 10:27 AM
(01-08-2012 10:21 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(01-08-2012 08:28 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  I think it's pretty obvious what he means is all drugs such as weed, heroin, alcohol, ciggies, party pills (e) etc...

followed by:

No.

Well, many people around here could use a little pedantic.Consider

A strong statement like "ban all the drugs" needs to be quantified. It is strong and likely imprecise. If you want to have a useful discussion, carpet bombing is not effective.

I say we decriminalize drugs use and possession; regulate and tax. And I do mean all the drugs.

I'd support this, but only for marijuana and other drugs tested to be reasonably safe. I won't define reasonably safe though, I'm not a doctor.
Find all posts by this user
01-08-2012, 05:14 PM
I watched a doco last night on addiction and it would seem that the majority of addictions stem from prescription drugs (80%). Apparently doctors are over-prescribing them to patients as well as patients deceiving doctors to get them. This is disturbing and off topic....oops Unsure

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)
02-08-2012, 02:23 AM
Here I am, haven't seen this thread before, I do apologize for my absence.

Smile

Eradicate? What a terrible and hard word. If only cannabis was legal, then your question would have made more sense, but this way? Naaaah...

The simple thing with all drugs and almost-drugs is this: if you do not want to use them, you just don't use them. If you do not want your kids to use them, be a good parent and know how to raise your kids, then they would not use anything as well. If you are concerned for some of your friends/family, you can try talking to them, but their life is not your life and they have the right to choose what they want.

This subject is a big "personal freedoms" issue. If we allow our government to control just about everything, what will we do then? Be slaves to somebodies whim? Eat soilent green? What would be next, ban the Rock music, as it is a rebellious music and thus it is bad and should be eradicated?

Also, we have the issue of controlled quality. Today, we have inspectors and regulations that make alcohol less damaging than it would be without some regulations. Same thing is with tobacco, that is the reason behind cannabis legalization requests. When something is illegal, it does not stop people from manufacturing it and other people from using it. What you get with that is illegal (black) market, drug (alcohol) dealers and uncontrolled substance on the market. By legalizing not only did you eradicate these things, but you actually made your country richer, because all those products have special taxes and those taxes fill the government's budget, that can be used and transferred to all sorts of different projects.

There are no logical reasons to have any drug illegal, as that makes everything worse that it would be if it was controlled and taxed. And if we live in a democracy, don't we all have something to say about the issues? Isn't our voice worth anything?

Educate people of the dangers and let them use their own brain. Land of the brave and the free?

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
[+] 3 users Like Filox's post
07-08-2012, 08:16 PM
(30-07-2012 06:46 AM)poolboyg88 Wrote:  note: no answers saying that they'd just hook up society to cheaper and more readily available drugs.

Which methods do you think would be practical in eradicating the use of these drugs in society? (say, within the USA).

Consume all of it myself so you would not be tempted. Let Girly take on your temptations, it's more practical than taking on your sins.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
07-08-2012, 09:16 PM
Can anyone imagine a Christopher Hitchens without alcohol and cigarettes?

Sure, he'd probably still be alive, but his brilliantly perceptive mind coupled with a world this full of ignorance and stupidity would result in an overload of stress and exasperation.

He would walk around looking muttering, "this is all a bad dream" and looking something like this.

[Image: hitchens-teeth-300x243.jpg]

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
[+] 7 users Like Buddy Christ's post
08-08-2012, 07:39 AM
I was reading through the thread and re-read the OP and subject. He went offline after the 4th post was submitted so FSM's was the last post he could've seen.

When I thought about other way of interpreting this post/subject line... Could it be that maybe he is having nicotine/alcohol dependence issues and was looking for a way to deal with it?

Here we are probably saying stuff that doesn't help someone in his situation at all! lol

Never mind... This thread stands to represent our views on prohibition.

“Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be born.” - Lawrence M. Krauss
09-08-2012, 04:16 PM
No, he was not searching for personal solutions - he referred to "society."

(30-07-2012 06:46 AM)poolboyg88 Wrote:  note: no answers saying that they'd just hook up society to cheaper and more readily available drugs.

Which methods do you think would be practical in eradicating the use of these drugs in society? (say, within the USA).

Humanism - ontological doctrine that posits that humans define reality
Theism - ontological doctrine that posits a supernatural entity creates and defines reality
Atheism - political doctrine opposed to theist doctrine in public policy
I am right, and you are wrong - I hope you die peacefullyCool
09-08-2012, 04:54 PM
(07-08-2012 09:16 PM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  Can anyone imagine a Christopher Hitchens without alcohol and cigarettes?

Sure, he'd probably still be alive, but his brilliantly perceptive mind coupled with a world this full of ignorance and stupidity would result in an overload of stress and exasperation.

He would walk around looking muttering, "this is all a bad dream" and looking something like this.

[Image: hitchens-teeth-300x243.jpg]

What did he die of? Not everyone is incompatible with nicotine and alcohol, and people with zero exposure to smoke and booze get lung cancer and cirrhosis of the liver too. It's just that a higher percentage of booze and nicotine consumers gets the stuff. And some of the sinners who engage in these exesses would have gotten the diseases whether they smoked and drank or not - that percentage is not accounted for at all and would change the statistics.

My grandpa smoked and drank til the day he died at age 98. When asked what contributed most to his longevity he always said one had to have at least one beer, one shot of Vodka and one cigar every day. The beer (he drank Hefeweizen) makes sure there is plenty of vitamin B, the vodka kills parasites in the digestive system, and the cigar makes sure one doesn't get stressed out.

Hehe, that was his rationale. Smokin

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post