How would you successfully eradicate the use of alcohol and cigarettes?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-08-2012, 05:24 PM
RE: How would you successfully eradicate the use of alcohol and cigarettes?
Vodka didn't just kill bacteria... Supposedly through research a bit of pure alcohol daily can be good for a lot of the body and blood. Not just red wine which is highly advertised as a healthy drink, which it is, yet more purer alcohol can has benefits.

I wouldn't try to ban any of these products. I would try to see if more non-toxic types of smoking could be found and sold via mass production easier. Things that don't have tar and maybe even nicotine.. I knew a guy who got off cigs and dip from using that vapor smoking stick and he enjoyed that. I'm always surprised that these types of products aren't getting as much attention.

"Love is hot, Truth is molten!"
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-08-2012, 05:43 PM (This post was last modified: 09-08-2012 05:47 PM by Azaraith.)
(30-07-2012 06:46 AM)poolboyg88 Wrote:  note: no answers saying that they'd just hook up society to cheaper and more readily available drugs.

Which methods do you think would be practical in eradicating the use of these drugs in society? (say, within the USA).

Kill every human on earth.

/sarcasm, but that's the only thing that would actually succeed in eradicating the use of alcohol/cigarettes/drugs...

Are you serious? Banning either of these would never succeed, regardless of what tactic you tried. People would rebel against it just like they did in the 1920s.

Better without God, and happier too.
09-08-2012, 05:56 PM
If you get rid of drugs you may as well throw out all of your good music. Most of the best music was wrote on drugs, alcohol,and cigarettes. You wouldn't have one good Pink Floyd CD. No Hendrix, no Doors, Tool, Ozzy, Led Zeppelin, Jethro Tull all of the music industry would be over.

History, I believe, furnishes no example of a priest-ridden people maintaining a
free civil government. This marks the lowest grade of ignorance, of which their
political as well as religious leaders will always avail themselves for their
own purpose. ~ Thomas Jefferson
[+] 6 users Like N.E.OhioAtheist's post
10-08-2012, 01:45 AM
(09-08-2012 05:56 PM)N.E.OhioAtheist Wrote:  If you get rid of drugs you may as well throw out all of your good music. Most of the best music was wrote on drugs, alcohol,and cigarettes. You wouldn't have one good Pink Floyd CD. No Hendrix, no Doors, Tool, Ozzy, Led Zeppelin, Jethro Tull all of the music industry would be over.

Hey, we'd still have Justin Bieber...

Weeping

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
[+] 4 users Like Filox's post
10-08-2012, 09:44 AM
Easy, Legalize all the other drugs and no one will want to use these two boring ones any more Tongue

I don't have Attention Deficit Disorder. Your disorderly world has a deficit of things worth paying attention to. -Tj
[+] 3 users Like TheCynicalOptimist's post
16-08-2012, 12:12 AM
As far as cigarettes go, I hate them. They smell nasty and a non-smoker can always smell it 15 to 20 feet away. If you can't keep the odor to yourself, it does not belong in a public place. I would increase the fines for littering, especially for those caught flicking a cigarette butt out their car window. In fact, I'd make that a moving violation (that means points people). As for alcohol. I hate that to a lesser extent. I work at a condo complex in NJ. So many of the residents here are alcoholics. They drink and the drive and are out at the local bar (on complex) every night. I have been called many names by these idiots that are completely shitfaced every night. I do drink, howver I have rules. I try to not drive for at least 8 hours and keep it to 2 drinks. If I am at a wedding and staying at the hotel and don't need to drive, I might have 3 or 4 drinks. I keep it to one if there is any potential that I might have to drive. I have only been buzzed once and don't desire to ever be again. I have never been drunk and don't plan to be, as I never want to act the way most drunks do. So it is safe to say, I will never have a dui or any other violation related to alcohol. I would like to see the laws regarding drunk driving enforced more heavily. I will hopefully soon have a family to worry about. If there is one sure way to make sure I commit murder, that is to be drunk and hit and kill my wife or one of my kids. I can understand if it is a true accident, due to bad weather or something completely out of your control. Drinking is within your ability to control though. Bottom line is keep alcohol legal as well as smoking, but keep both to yourself.
16-08-2012, 04:19 AM
(16-08-2012 12:12 AM)Birdguy1979 Wrote:  As far as cigarettes go, I hate them. They smell nasty and a non-smoker can always smell it 15 to 20 feet away. If you can't keep the odor to yourself, it does not belong in a public place. I would increase the fines for littering, especially for those caught flicking a cigarette butt out their car window. In fact, I'd make that a moving violation (that means points people).

I'm a smoker, so I have a reduced sense of smell... but what makes me gag is walking past old women who find the need to spray/talc/imbibe their bodies with the most hideous of smells known to chemistry. It follows them like a densely-packed cloud... and even I can smell it. Should we ban old women, too? Or people with bad body odour? It is bizarre to rail against the smell of cigarette smoke, it really is.

Also, cigarette butts are biodegradable. They may look ugly, but they deteriorate into the environment. I mean, personally, I put my butts back into the pack. I don't flick them around. But getting upset about them... and demanding points on someone's licence... just, wow. So much hatred encapsulated into one person for the flimsiest of reasons.

(16-08-2012 12:12 AM)Birdguy1979 Wrote:  As for alcohol. I hate that to a lesser extent.

You then continue to list the problems of drunk driving... and yet, to you, that's a lesser evil? Dude! You need to smoke a joint or two. Your values are too uptight.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Red Celt's post
16-08-2012, 04:23 AM
Fuck, I love my scotch. How DARE YE.
16-08-2012, 06:04 AM
(16-08-2012 12:12 AM)Birdguy1979 Wrote:  Drinking is within your ability to control though.

Not for an alcoholic. No

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
16-08-2012, 06:08 AM
(16-08-2012 06:04 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(16-08-2012 12:12 AM)Birdguy1979 Wrote:  Drinking is within your ability to control though.

Not for an alcoholic. No

Agreed. Addicts are not addicts because it's their fault all the time. Sometimes people do need help and recovery.

For the large majority though, it comes down to making good decisions, and being willing to make those decisions. For those who cannot, however, they need help.