How would you successfully eradicate the use of alcohol and cigarettes?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-07-2012, 10:40 AM
RE: How would you successfully eradicate the use of alcohol and cigarettes?
Dram is Scottish. Wink

Godzilla Kitten, Directed by J.J. Abrams
[Image: Kineoprojectfinished3_zps79916ea4.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like kineo's post
30-07-2012, 10:42 AM
(30-07-2012 10:34 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Dude, we may not agree on gun issues, but so far, for pretty much everything else, you read my mind. I was thinking the exact same thing there. Lmao

Well, variety is the spice of life. It would be a dull world if everyone had the exact same beliefs. Of course, there would be fewer gun deaths in my dull world than in your dull world. <chuckle>

But anyway. I had the exact same argument with a very close American friend, and it got to the point of ruining that friendship... so I'm labelling gun-control in the "agree to disagree" folder, not to be revisited.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
30-07-2012, 11:22 AM
Let's get something straight around here. Dissect me, and find the cell named Johnny Cantor.

Know why you ain't gonna find it? Chemical context. The Johnny of the eternal now is but a web of interconnected memory, patterns, philosophies; not a real thing in the sense of cell, but the only reality in the sense of self.

The relevance, I find, is in usurping Godel's Incompleteness for my own ends; to express a form of naive philosophy. No system is both complete and self sufficient. The Incompleteness of me lies within my Gwynnies, of course, but what is "my Gwynnies" other than a constructed chemical simulation.

The extent of interplay between neuroscience and identity is far beyond the scope of this work. Suffice it to say, outside influences such as toxins including nicotine and alcohol allow for the self to attain a greater completeness. To know the self of the moment by knowing the self of the inebriated moment. One cannot be sure with what is, until one at least experiences what is not. For example, I'm not usually so loquacious. The lowering of my inhibitions, and my pretense, allows for a greater breadth of communication. Otherwise, I usually just go - I love my Gwynnies! - and expect all to parse the meaning of life from those four words.

So, no. To "successfully eradicate alcohol and cigarettes" is to essentially eradicate the human race. For which evolution would not sit idly by. I was addicted to crack before Gwyneth Paltrow. I have evolved. Big Grin

[Image: 10289811_592837817482059_8815379025397103823_n.jpg]
[+] 7 users Like houseofcantor's post
30-07-2012, 11:40 AM
Humour me all you heathens I'm gonna play a saintly choir boy minus the buggery.

To eliminate alcohol / cigarettes you have to provide something to replace what people use 'em for, or as has been said before, you have to eliminate the reasons why people were using them.

Eliminating reasons why people were using them... jeez I wouldn't know where to start. Essentially the only way I can see to do it is to introduce a different, more desirable drug and kill the market.

Eliminating *abuse* of alcohol and cigarettes is maybe a more feasible plan.

OTOH, the cigarette industry has taken a hard knock in recent years from well publicised health risks and rules about advertising. I remember in the 80s/90s full page colour ads in magazines featuring desirable people doing badass things while smoking. Thing of the past now. And it's getting results. Smoking cigarettes gets you dirty looks pretty much anywhere, it's successfully been turned into a social no-no.

If you want to kill alcohol, do it a similar way. Don't go after people, go after the industry and go after the social acceptability. If it's not profitable to make money from it, it will die. The thing is, I don't even think that's possible because it's very very profitable. Even if you killed off say the three biggest worldwide breweries, local industries would make a tidy mountain of cash replacing the service they provide. People *like* alcohol. No one really likes cigarettes IMO. OK, that is anecdotal evidence but still... I hated them when I was a smoker. Still smoked 'em. Alcohol's a hundred times more sexy and although it can give you a bitching hangover you can actually enjoy drinking it. Much tougher to eliminate.
[+] 3 users Like morondog's post
30-07-2012, 11:44 AM
(30-07-2012 11:22 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Let's get something straight around here. Dissect me, and find the cell named Johnny Cantor.

Know why you ain't gonna find it? Chemical context. The Johnny of the eternal now is but a web of interconnected memory, patterns, philosophies; not a real thing in the sense of cell, but the only reality in the sense of self.

The relevance, I find, is in usurping Godel's Incompleteness for my own ends; to express a form of naive philosophy. No system is both complete and self sufficient. The Incompleteness of me lies within my Gwynnies, of course, but what is "my Gwynnies" other than a constructed chemical simulation.

The extent of interplay between neuroscience and identity is far beyond the scope of this work. Suffice it to say, outside influences such as toxins including nicotine and alcohol allow for the self to attain a greater completeness. To know the self of the moment by knowing the self of the inebriated moment. One cannot be sure with what is, until one at least experiences what is not. For example, I'm not usually so loquacious. The lowering of my inhibitions, and my pretense, allows for a greater breadth of communication. Otherwise, I usually just go - I love my Gwynnies! - and expect all to parse the meaning of life from those four words.

So, no. To "successfully eradicate alcohol and cigarettes" is to essentially eradicate the human race. For which evolution would not sit idly by. I was addicted to crack before Gwyneth Paltrow. I have evolved. Big Grin

Nicely said HoC. Thumbsup

Godzilla Kitten, Directed by J.J. Abrams
[Image: Kineoprojectfinished3_zps79916ea4.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like kineo's post
30-07-2012, 11:50 AM
Just for something kind of interesting/funny. Back during prohibition in my area, there was a local "get drunk bar" like place that is now a photographer's studio. But they didn't have a single thing that was illegal in it! Nope, they just sat around and drank vanilla extract and other types of things that had alcohol in it. Apparently when the photographer bought the building and went into the second story (that had a blocked off section), he found cases of vanilla extract!
30-07-2012, 12:02 PM
Thing with cigarettes, too, is that they are part of the American identity. And the Natives, they ain't dumb people; theirs was a tradition of the sacred weed long before white governance. And what did it provide? Common context. They call it "swearing on the pipe;" it ain't about getting high. It's about focusing the concentration from an internet plagued cyber-reality to the words being spoken from the man across from you.

"Indians" know some shit. Thumbsup

[Image: 10289811_592837817482059_8815379025397103823_n.jpg]
[+] 4 users Like houseofcantor's post
30-07-2012, 02:37 PM
(30-07-2012 06:46 AM)poolboyg88 Wrote:  note: no answers saying that they'd just hook up society to cheaper and more readily available drugs.

Which methods do you think would be practical in eradicating the use of these drugs in society? (say, within the USA).

None, and all you have to do is study the Prohibition or the War on Drugs to know how ridiculous the notion is. People will do it, whether you like it or not. Just like people will believe in God, whether it is logical or not.

[Image: 4833fa13.jpg]
Poonjab
30-07-2012, 03:40 PM
Poolboy,

Just so you know, we really aren't trying to gang up on you. I kinda look back on the thread and it looks like we've all jumped on you. I sure hope you aren't avoiding the thread now because of that. Please.....share your ideas on this. I'd really like to know the reasons you ask the questions, and what your own answers are.

Just visiting.

-SR
[+] 5 users Like Stark Raving's post
30-07-2012, 05:47 PM
(30-07-2012 03:40 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Poolboy,

Just so you know, we really aren't trying to gang up on you. I kinda look back on the thread and it looks like we've all jumped on you. I sure hope you aren't avoiding the thread now because of that. Please.....share your ideas on this. I'd really like to know the reasons you ask the questions, and what your own answers are.

Hey Poolboy,

Stark is right, please let us know more about what your reasons are and have I'm sure others would too.

Kid C

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume