How would you successfully eradicate the use of alcohol and cigarettes?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-07-2012, 06:18 PM
RE: How would you successfully eradicate the use of alcohol and cigarettes?
I have given up so many vices as I have gotten older and supposedly more mature...please don't let them take away my last one.

What do you take away after cigarettes and alcohol...caffeine?, chocolate? Maybe the sinus meds that I nearly need to take a polygraph test in order to buy OTC.

I am well over legal age...I have read the warnings, I know the potential risks...let me have a say in my life. The government needs to let us make some choices for ourselves. Enough with all the "you can't do this/have that/take this".

If they take much more away...kill me now.

See here they are, the bruises, some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Anjele's post
30-07-2012, 06:49 PM
In on epic thread backfire.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
30-07-2012, 06:56 PM
(30-07-2012 06:18 PM)Anjele Wrote:  I have given up so many vices as I have gotten older and supposedly more mature...please don't let them take away my last one.

What do you take away after cigarettes and alcohol...caffeine?, chocolate? Maybe the sinus meds that I nearly need to take a polygraph test in order to buy OTC.

I am well over legal age...I have read the warnings, I know the potential risks...let me have a say in my life. The government needs to let us make some choices for ourselves. Enough with all the "you can't do this/have that/take this".

If they take much more away...kill me now.

Fair enough.

But just remember that precise mindset caused the delay of mandatory seat belts and universal healthcare. I think doing it simply because the government advises you not to do it is immature and silly, and as far as I can see, that is why the majority of people like to do it. It is rebellious.

[Image: 4833fa13.jpg]
Poonjab
30-07-2012, 07:17 PM
It's been many years since I did something just because I was told not to. I do things because I want to. I don't do things because I don't want to. I don't know where you got that idea. The point is I have a mind of my own, I don't need everything governed.

My first husband died drunk driving...and it wasn't his first time behind the wheel drunk...he had been busted before...I am against driving when impaired. But by all medical accounts, had he NOT been wearing a seatbelt he would have survived the crash. The rules and restrictions are far from perfect.

See here they are, the bruises, some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 3 users Like Anjele's post
30-07-2012, 07:41 PM
Short of having a 'utopian' society where there is no stress and ergo no reason to take any 'stress reducers' it just won't happen. It's a nice thought, tho Sleepy

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)
[+] 1 user Likes aurora's post
30-07-2012, 07:42 PM (This post was last modified: 30-07-2012 08:10 PM by Logica Humano.)
(30-07-2012 07:17 PM)Anjele Wrote:  It's been many years since I did something just because I was told not to. I do things because I want to. I don't do things because I don't want to. I don't know where you got that idea. The point is I have a mind of my own, I don't need everything governed.

My first husband died drunk driving...and it wasn't his first time behind the wheel drunk...he had been busted before...I am against driving when impaired. But by all medical accounts, had he NOT been wearing a seatbelt he would have survived the crash. The rules and restrictions are far from perfect.

Really? Would you be willingly to admit that the majority of U.S citizens, young and old, are slaves to that very immaturity? Never did I say you did something because you did not want to, rather, you are doing something because the government does not want you to do so. Here's something for you to eat up. The EU lowered the age of legal alcohol consumption from 17 to 16, and Europe has a significantly lower rate of DUI-releated accidents. The U.S age of legal consumption? Twenty-fucking-one. If that does not scream rebellious behavior, I do not know what will.

The point is this: People cannot take care of themselves, the government is in place for a reason. It governs, if you don't like it, too bad.

And? He was already breaking one rule, and considering he was putting other's lives at risk diminishes any respect I could have had for the man. They are in place for a reason, and this semi-anarchistic view you have on these matters is somewhat troubling. What you said does not help your case either.

I fail to see why so many Americans have this overly skeptical views on simple laws that have, statistically, been proven more beneficial. Good luck with your trust issues and the government.

Poonjab
30-07-2012, 08:32 PM
People cannot take care of themselves.

Blanket statement regarding everything about everyone...

Government has it's place...but it's place is not to make us puppets able to function only when they pull the strings.

And who the hell makes up the government anyway? People perhaps? Those same creatures you say are unable to take care of themselves...but they can take care of everyone else.

What the fuck ever.

[+] 4 users Like Anjele's post
31-07-2012, 03:04 AM
It will never work.

Back in the old days of America, whenever it was, they banned alcohol. But because of the banning, people ended up drinking more of it than normal, so basically it made things worse.
31-07-2012, 05:56 AM
(30-07-2012 08:32 PM)Anjele Wrote:  People cannot take care of themselves.

Blanket statement regarding everything about everyone...

Government has it's place...but it's place is not to make us puppets able to function only when they pull the strings.

And who the hell makes up the government anyway? People perhaps? Those same creatures you say are unable to take care of themselves...but they can take care of everyone else.

What the fuck ever.

Some people may be offended by what I said, but the truth hurts. We are better in interfering with one another's lives than we ever could in knowing ourselves. This is evident by the incredibly high obesity rates in the U.S, as an example. They don't know how to take care of themselves and they lack the self-control to stop eating, just as an example.

Sure, there maybe more underlying causes than just that, it may be a genetic problem, or a psychological problem, but they still cannot stop themselves, can they? I include myself in these statements. I have personal problems that I simply don't control, and I will pay for that.

The government is composed of people, yes, but as I previously stated, we are far more capable of attempting to dictate what is best for others. Whether or not the others are ready to use the provided tools is a different story.

It is ridiculous to argue that the government should not have the right to protect its people. I think Prohibition is stupid, but it is a nice thought if it worked.

Poonjab
31-07-2012, 06:02 AM
It's an interesting idea but no. I'm willing to pay taxes and so on because I see the communal good from being able to carry out projects which I could not do alone but I'll surrender my right to fuck up my own life when I'm dead. Not before. If I thought the government had the slightest chance in hell of fucking up my life more intelligently than me I'd be less against it, but when I see politicians and the stupidity they perpetrate why on Earth would I ever concede that they know how to run my life better than me?
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post