Howdy

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-08-2016, 12:31 AM
RE: Howdy
Welcome.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-08-2016, 08:15 AM
Welcome, you'll find many with simaler stories here as well. I'm also a former Catholic, didn't turn my back on the belief till age 29. (Now i'm soon to be 35)

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
05-08-2016, 11:50 AM
I'm from west Texas as well. I currently live about an hour east of San Antonio, but I was born and raised on our family cattle ranch near Lajitas.
I grew up in pure ranch country, and was born in the mid 60's. I know parts of Texas are very "bible belt", but, perhaps because the land is so harsh in extreme west Texas, where I came from is more pragmatic. Sure there was the occasional judgmental, busybody woman (not trying to sound sexist, it just always was) but the majority of folks were surprisingly accepting as long as you stood your ground and were respectful of their beliefs- and didn't throw your differences in their faces constantly, like some sort of challenge.
I was- and am- very vocal about my atheism. However, I respect that others believe in different things, and as long as those beliefs don't include my conversion or demise, we're all good. Most people I've met in the "atheist community",if you will, are very intelligent, and basically accepting. If there is any fault evident, it is a bit of animosity towards religious people. I imagine this is because many have suffered at the hands of religious types when they made their atheism known.
Many atheists seem to be politically liberal, which I consider a fault as well, but that is just my opinion. Big Grin

Seriously, I wouldn't be so convinced you will be ostracized just because it's a small Texas town. I would explore gently, and try to get a feel for how folks will respond.

I've found a good way to do this is, when alone with another- or alone with a couple- bring up someone you know (not from that town- make them imaginary) who is atheist, and say you just aren't sure how to feel about that person since finding out. See what advice they give you.

I hope that helps...contact me anytime if you need to "talk Texas", lol.

Cheers!
05-08-2016, 01:46 PM
Welcome!

“The first duty of a man is to think for himself” ― José Martí
05-08-2016, 04:40 PM
This is a great place to come and talk to folks you don't have to hide your atheism from! Big Grin

Welcome to TTA! Shy