Howdy from Indiana

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-10-2014, 04:14 PM
Howdy from Indiana
I figured I would say, HI!

Like all the other newbies do on the board. I've pretty much been a skeptical agnostic most of my life. I didn't get scared with hell in my childhood. I'm 44 and grew up in and live in Indiana. Let me tell you, that the "Satanic Panic" was absolutely a traumatic experience for me growing up. When I read accounts of the Salem Witch Trials, I really feel for the victims.

Woke up and read in my local paper, and on Fark this morning.

http://www.indystar.com/story/news/2014/.../16678275/

Nothing new to me. I can't believe someone took this kind of thing to court. Personally, I just get saved on the roadside and keep my insurance rates low.

I don't fight anymore generally. I'm not big on debates. But, when I'm forced to I simply resort to the role of prosecutor. with the weight of evidence on his side. A few well placed questions can deflated hours of bible beating.

I'm so glad to see the evangelicals that have been de-converted. This was un-thinkable to me growing up. I haven't participated in this kind of community ever. I'm beginning to become much more optimistic listening to the podcast.

Thank You,
Chris
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-10-2014, 04:17 PM
RE: Howdy from Indiana
Welcome to our community!

Glad you found us.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

06-10-2014, 04:52 PM
Welcome aboard Smile

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
06-10-2014, 05:45 PM
Welcome fellow Hoosier! Thumbsup
06-10-2014, 05:48 PM
Be sure to barbecue kittens, record the NFL without their permission and rip the tags off of your mattress.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-10-2014, 06:37 PM
(06-10-2014 04:14 PM)pegboard Wrote:  I figured I would say, HI!

Like all the other newbies do on the board. I've pretty much been a skeptical agnostic most of my life. I didn't get scared with hell in my childhood. I'm 44 and grew up in and live in Indiana. Let me tell you, that the "Satanic Panic" was absolutely a traumatic experience for me growing up. When I read accounts of the Salem Witch Trials, I really feel for the victims.

Woke up and read in my local paper, and on Fark this morning.

http://www.indystar.com/story/news/2014/.../16678275/

Nothing new to me. I can't believe someone took this kind of thing to court. Personally, I just get saved on the roadside and keep my insurance rates low.

I don't fight anymore generally. I'm not big on debates. But, when I'm forced to I simply resort to the role of prosecutor. with the weight of evidence on his side. A few well placed questions can deflated hours of bible beating.

I'm so glad to see the evangelicals that have been de-converted. This was un-thinkable to me growing up. I haven't participated in this kind of community ever. I'm beginning to become much more optimistic listening to the podcast.

Thank You,
Chris

Why as prosecutor?

It is factual that gods either exist (aka a person is guilty) or gods do not exist (aka a person is innocent). Gods are presumed not to exist (aka a person is presumed innocent) until theists demonstrate they exist (aka until prosecutor prove their guilt.)

Generally speaking, in the court room analogy, atheists are the jury and theists are the prosecutors trying to prove that a god exist. One could say that militant atheists are the defense lawyers. The default position is always presumed innocence (aka 'doesn't exist') , until such time the prosecution demonstrates guilt (aka 'existence'.) The defense lawyers (aka militant atheists) dismantle stupid, fallacious and/or irrelevant arguments proffered by the prosecutors (aka as theists.)

After both sides present their cases, the jury chooses between guilty (aka believing the assertion that gods exist) or not guilty (not believing the assertion that gods exist).

Notice that the jury doesn't make a judgement about innocence (aka the assertion that gods don't exist).
06-10-2014, 07:06 PM
Hey Shy
Pull up a chair, and be welcome Big Grin

07-10-2014, 01:22 PM
Welcome to the forum. Smile

@DonaldTrump, Patriotism is not honoring your flag no matter what your country/leader does. It's doing whatever it takes to make your country the best it can be as long as its not violent.
07-10-2014, 01:25 PM
Welcome, Chris.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user