Huge 'Ransomware' Extortion Cyberattack Hits Dozens of Countries

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-05-2017, 03:30 PM
Huge 'Ransomware' Extortion Cyberattack Hits Dozens of Countries
http://time.com/4778005/international-cy...h-service/

Quote: A huge extortion cyberattack hit dozens of nations Friday, holding computer data for ransom at hospitals, telecommunications firms and other companies. The attack appeared to exploit a vulnerability purportedly identified for use by the U.S. National Security Agency and later leaked to the internet.

Quote:Most of the affected hospitals were in England, but several facilities in Scotland also reported being hit. Doctors' practices and pharmacies reported similar problems.
As similar widespread ransomware attacks were reported in Spain, Romania and elsewhere, experts warned that online extortion attempts by hackers are a growing menace. Hospitals, with their often outdated IT systems and trove of confidential patient data, are a particularly tempting target.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
12-05-2017, 05:50 PM
RE: Huge 'Ransomware' Extortion Cyberattack Hits Dozens of Countries
(12-05-2017 03:30 PM)Dom Wrote:  http://time.com/4778005/international-cy...h-service/

Quote: A huge extortion cyberattack hit dozens of nations Friday, holding computer data for ransom at hospitals, telecommunications firms and other companies. The attack appeared to exploit a vulnerability purportedly identified for use by the U.S. National Security Agency and later leaked to the internet.

Quote:Most of the affected hospitals were in England, but several facilities in Scotland also reported being hit. Doctors' practices and pharmacies reported similar problems.
As similar widespread ransomware attacks were reported in Spain, Romania and elsewhere, experts warned that online extortion attempts by hackers are a growing menace. Hospitals, with their often outdated IT systems and trove of confidential patient data, are a particularly tempting target.

I understand from the evening news that Russia was hit hard too.
[+] 1 user Likes Thoreauvian's post
12-05-2017, 08:39 PM
This seems silly, couldn't where the money is supposed to be sent be tracked?
Even if bitcoin was used, bitcoin isn't immune from tracking.
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
15-05-2017, 02:50 AM
Simpler: donate those 300 bucks to a guy who would beat the program's makers half to death, have them tell the decryption code then shoot them in the head. Anyone who messes with healthcare and endangers patients is fair game in my eyes.

The end of the world only hurts those who have something to lose.
[+] 1 user Likes Naridar's post
15-05-2017, 08:31 AM
(15-05-2017 02:50 AM)Naridar Wrote:  Simpler: donate those 300 bucks to a guy who would beat the program's makers half to death, have them tell the decryption code then shoot them in the head. Anyone who messes with healthcare and endangers patients is fair game in my eyes.

In general I agree, but that being said hospitals and many businesses are woefully dumb in the way they handle information. Hospitals specifically rarely have good IT guys, and don't pay very well to begin with -- because they don't think it's important and just want to keep their existing systems runnings. This was a huge wake-up call to all these organizations to start making serious updates to better protect their infrastructure. If they're storing data online, which most do today, they need to understand that they are vulnerable. It's not just cyber attacks either, it could be anything that is completely preventable.

Because believe me other people who have NOTHING to do with healthcare who are employed by hospitals are well paid.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
15-05-2017, 12:54 PM
(12-05-2017 03:30 PM)Dom Wrote:  http://time.com/4778005/international-cy...h-service/

For an interesting view of this attack look at this blog by Charles Stross, the SF author:

Charlies Diary

“I am not responsible for actions of the imaginary version of me you have inside your head.” - John Scalzi

18-05-2017, 06:38 PM
I've heard a lot of criticism flung at institutions and individuals, for not keeping their systems and security measures up to date; at Microsoft for having holes in its systems; and at the anonymous cyber terrorists supposed to be behind these attacks.

Oddly enough, what I have not heard is much criticism of the NSA, for

A) finding a significant security hole in one of the world's most widely-used operating systems and then not telling anyone about it (like the manufacturer, who maybe could have fixed it);

B) for stockpiling that information (and malware?) in the first place; and

C) then stockpiling it on a system connected to the outside world, where it could be stolen by hackers.

For crying out loud, is the NSA now immune from criticism and censure? Don't they bear any responsibility for this fiasco?
It's as if someone discovers a bomb; doesn't report it; keeps it in their unlocked garage;
and when some kids steal it and blow up a third party, the original finder gets off, scot free.

--
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."