Hughsie, can you not?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-07-2013, 12:02 PM
RE: Hughsie, can you not?
(05-07-2013 11:59 AM)Hughsie Wrote:  You're right. I love you. You make my world go round. I just can't live without you. Please be mine forever.

Sorry, my mistake, forget what I just said. I forgot I actually hate you.

Big Grin

That's the sweetest thing anyone has ever said to me. Blush

(05-07-2013 11:51 AM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  Nache. What did you do to that toasty?! Angry

HE SOILED IT. Weeping
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-07-2013, 12:02 PM
(05-07-2013 11:01 AM)Atothetheist Wrote:  
(05-07-2013 12:16 AM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  I'm sure by gay you mean "amazingly awesome" because otherwise would just be not nice.

For future reference

[Image: thats_so_gay_card.jpg]

Smile

Its only hate speech if it is meant to be hateful.

Gay was a word adapted by homosexuals, why can't we adapt it into something else?

Ato, I like and respect you, but you're way off base here. Using "gay" as a general term of disapproval may not be hate speech per se, but it's stupid and damaging.

The use of "gay" as a general pejorative originated in the '70s and became widespread among young people. It's an extension of "gay" in the homosexual sense. For many, "gay" was a term you applied to certain people you disapproved of. Its use then got extended to anything you disapproved of.

When a gay kid in a schoolyard hears his classmates say "Oh, that's so gay!" about something they want to put down, what do you think goes through his mind? You can argue till you're blue in the face that there's no connection, but of course there is. And the connection isn't lost on the kid.

Think about this: "Atheist" is a term that strikes terror in the hearts of a lot of people. Calling someone an atheist is, in many circles, a major insult. Suppose the term got extended in the same way young people have extended "gay," as a general pejorative. So when someone sees something icky, anything at all, they could respond, "That's so atheist!" Suppose when questioned about the term, they answered, "I have nothing against atheists. I don't hate them. It's just the way we use the word today." Do you think you'd be fine with that?

Religious disputes are like arguments in a madhouse over which inmate really is Napoleon.
[+] 2 users Like cufflink's post
05-07-2013, 12:04 PM
(05-07-2013 12:02 PM)Ferdinand Wrote:  That's the sweetest thing anyone has ever said to me. Blush

What? Told you they hate you? You mustn't know many nice people. Big Grin

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
05-07-2013, 12:05 PM
(05-07-2013 11:51 AM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  Nache. What did you do to that toasty?! Angry

I'll never tell Evil_monster

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
05-07-2013, 12:05 PM
(05-07-2013 12:02 PM)cufflink Wrote:  Ato, I like and respect you, but you're way off base here. Using "gay" as a general term of disapproval may not be hate speech per se, but it's stupid and damaging.

The use of "gay" as a general pejorative originated in the '70s and became widespread among young people. It's an extension of "gay" in the homosexual sense. For many, "gay" was a term you applied to certain people you disapproved of. Its use then got extended to anything you disapproved of.

When a gay kid in a schoolyard hears his classmates say "Oh, that's so gay!" about something they want to put down, what do you think goes through his mind? You can argue till you're blue in the face that there's no connection, but of course there is. And the connection isn't lost on the kid.

Think about this: "Atheist" is a term that strikes terror in the hearts of a lot of people. Calling someone an atheist is, in many circles, a major insult. Suppose the term got extended in the same way young people have extended "gay," as a general pejorative. So when someone sees something icky, anything at all, they could respond, "That's so atheist!" Suppose when questioned about the term, they answered, "I have nothing against atheists. I don't hate them. It's just the way we use the word today." Do you think you'd be fine with that?

Are we comparing the words "Gay" and "Atheist" now? Because I can point out so many reasons why it's even wrong to use Atheism as an example.

You're lecturing two teens that were raised in the 20th century. Lighten up. The word isn't taken as seriously as it once was.

NOW LET US FROLIC BACK TO THE GRILLING OF CHEESE
05-07-2013, 12:07 PM
Re: Hughsie, can you not?
Cuffs I appreciate the effort. But I think its a wasted one. I'm glad you understood what I meant however. Nice to not be by myself.
05-07-2013, 12:08 PM
(05-07-2013 12:04 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  What? Told you they hate you? You mustn't know many nice people. Big Grin

You mustn't know how to shut the fuck up. Wink
05-07-2013, 12:09 PM
(05-07-2013 12:05 PM)Ferdinand Wrote:  You're lecturing two teens that were raised in the 20th century. Lighten up. The word isn't taken as seriously as it once was.

I totally agree with you but remeber you were raised less in the 20th century than Cufflink. Big Grin

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
05-07-2013, 12:09 PM
(05-07-2013 12:02 PM)cufflink Wrote:  
(05-07-2013 11:01 AM)Atothetheist Wrote:  Its only hate speech if it is meant to be hateful.

Gay was a word adapted by homosexuals, why can't we adapt it into something else?

Ato, I like and respect you, but you're way off base here. Using "gay" as a general term of disapproval may not be hate speech per se, but it's stupid and damaging.

I agree with what you say, but I think the word can be used to joke around. It's not hateful and it can be used to include homosexuality in a conversation in a non-threatening way. It can even help people come out "jokingly", which can be easier in some circumstances.

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
[+] 1 user Likes nach_in's post
05-07-2013, 12:10 PM
(05-07-2013 12:09 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  
(05-07-2013 12:05 PM)Ferdinand Wrote:  You're lecturing two teens that were raised in the 20th century. Lighten up. The word isn't taken as seriously as it once was.

I totally agree with you but remeber you were raised less in the 20th century than Cufflink. Big Grin

I think she meant 21st century but got her maths wrong. Alabama, ya know we have to make allowances.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post