Hughsie rage quit Oblivion because he couldn't pick a lock

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-08-2014, 01:25 PM
Hughsie rage quit Oblivion because he couldn't pick a lock
So Hughsie and I have made a habit of playing through games together via Skype because we lack the same console. We play through many single player games as well (Dishonored, Skyrim, Bioshock) and today I wanted him to play through the first little bit of Oblivion to see if he'd like it.

In my opinion, Oblivion is a game you have to get a ways into before you can actually get into it. I feel the same about Fallout. They're good games, but the beginnings are tedious and boring.

Well, we made it through the intro/tutorial of the game (exiting the dungeon/sewers), traveled to the Imperial City, sold our stuff, started on the first merchant mission.

Then, out of nowhere, Hughsie throws a fits and rage quits because he couldn't pick the lock to Agarmir's basement... and he'd wasted the majority of his lockpick's trying to pick Agarmir's front door. Needless to say I didn't have much luck trying to explain to Hughsie how to pick locks in this game...

Facepalm
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Ferdinand's post
29-08-2014, 02:00 PM
RE: Hughsie rage quit Oblivion because he couldn't pick a lock
(29-08-2014 01:25 PM)Ferdinand Wrote:  So Hughsie and I have made a habit of playing through games together via Skype because we lack the same console. We play through many single player games as well (Dishonored, Skyrim, Bioshock) and today I wanted him to play through the first little bit of Oblivion to see if he'd like it.

In my opinion, Oblivion is a game you have to get a ways into before you can actually get into it. I feel the same about Fallout. They're good games, but the beginnings are tedious and boring.

Well, we made it through the intro/tutorial of the game (exiting the dungeon/sewers), traveled to the Imperial City, sold our stuff, started on the first merchant mission.

Then, out of nowhere, Hughsie throws a fits and rage quits because he couldn't pick the lock to Agarmir's basement... and he'd wasted the majority of his lockpick's trying to pick Agarmir's front door. Needless to say I didn't have much luck trying to explain to Hughsie how to pick locks in this game...

Facepalm

If he sucks that much tell him to just go buy the mage spells for lockpicking. They are iirc alteration spells.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 3 users Like Revenant77x's post
29-08-2014, 02:10 PM
(29-08-2014 01:25 PM)Ferdinand Wrote:  In my opinion, Oblivion is a game you have to get a ways into before you can actually get into it. I feel the same about Fallout. They're good games, but the beginnings are tedious and boring.

Every role playing game starts tedious and boring. You gotta put in your time killing rats in the sewers before you get the good stuff.

Now that I think about it, that's a good metaphor for life as well...Consider

"I feel as though the camera is almost a kind of voyeur in Mr. Beans life, and you just watch this bizarre man going about his life in the way that he wants to."

-Rowan Atkinson
29-08-2014, 02:33 PM
(29-08-2014 01:25 PM)Ferdinand Wrote:  Needless to say I didn't have much luck trying to explain to Hughsie how to pick locks in this game...

Facepalm

You did a shit job of explaining because you didn't answer my question (or even listen to what it was). How come I can do the exact same thing on a lock twice in a row but get different results? That is what I don't understand. That is what leads me to think there's something I'm missing. That is why I gave up playing that game.

Tbh though, it wasn't like it was particularly great up until that point anyway. It was essentially Skyrim but ridiculously more tedious and confusing. And I have a game that is like Skyrim but not excessively tedious or confusing, it's called SKYRIM.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
[+] 2 users Like Hughsie's post
29-08-2014, 02:56 PM
Console commands, you scrub.

~ + "unlock" = problem solved

... this is my signature!
29-08-2014, 04:59 PM
(29-08-2014 02:56 PM)cjlr Wrote:  Console commands, you scrub.

~ + "unlock" = problem solved

psst cj He's a filthy console peasant

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 3 users Like Revenant77x's post
29-08-2014, 05:07 PM
(29-08-2014 01:25 PM)Ferdinand Wrote:  So Hughsie and I have made a habit of playing through games together via Skype because we lack the same console. We play through many single player games as well (Dishonored, Skyrim, Bioshock) and today I wanted him to play through the first little bit of Oblivion to see if he'd like it.

Facepalm

I'm sure he appreciates that you ran to tell the world about the little "moment".
Weeping

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
29-08-2014, 06:13 PM
Nerds. Rolleyes

Tongue

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
29-08-2014, 09:31 PM
(29-08-2014 02:33 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  
(29-08-2014 01:25 PM)Ferdinand Wrote:  Needless to say I didn't have much luck trying to explain to Hughsie how to pick locks in this game...

Facepalm

You did a shit job of explaining because you didn't answer my question (or even listen to what it was). How come I can do the exact same thing on a lock twice in a row but get different results? That is what I don't understand. That is what leads me to think there's something I'm missing. That is why I gave up playing that game.

Tbh though, it wasn't like it was particularly great up until that point anyway. It was essentially Skyrim but ridiculously more tedious and confusing. And I have a game that is like Skyrim but not excessively tedious or confusing, it's called SKYRIM.

Oblivion is awesome, I think it is you that is the problem.

Paleoliberal • English Nationalist • Zionist • Rightist • Anti-Islam • Neoconservative • Republican • Linguistic Revivalist and Purist

Happily Divorced from the Left!
29-08-2014, 09:43 PM
(29-08-2014 02:33 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  

Facepalm

I have trouble going back and playing Oblivion (and Morrowind) too. Skyrim does what they do, only better. So unless you're really set on re-experiencing the story (which has never been a strong point of the series), usually their latest outing is the best if you just really enjoy the mechanics and exploring the world. Bethesda are great world-builders, not story tellers. If you want a good story, one worth playing over and over again, go play a Bioware RPG (I'm actually replaying Dragon Age II again for the umpteenth time).

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]