Hughsie rage quit Oblivion because he couldn't pick a lock

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-08-2014, 09:46 PM
RE: Hughsie rage quit Oblivion because he couldn't pick a lock
(29-08-2014 09:43 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(29-08-2014 02:33 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  You did a shit job of explaining because you didn't answer my question (or even listen to what it was). How come I can do the exact same thing on a lock twice in a row but get different results? That is what I don't understand. That is what leads me to think there's something I'm missing. That is why I gave up playing that game.

Tbh though, it wasn't like it was particularly great up until that point anyway. It was essentially Skyrim but ridiculously more tedious and confusing. And I have a game that is like Skyrim but not excessively tedious or confusing, it's called SKYRIM.

I have trouble going back and playing Oblivion (and Morrowind) too. Skyrim does what they do, only better. So unless you're really set on re-experiencing the story (which has never been a strong point of the series), usually their latest outing is the best if you just really enjoy the mechanics and exploring the world. Bethesda are great world-builders, not story tellers. If you want a good story, one worth playing over and over again, go play a Bioware RPG (I'm actually replaying Dragon Age II again for the umpteenth time).

A) anyone who plays Bethesda games vanilla is an idiot.

B) Bioware's best was Jade Empire. DAII is a shitshow.

... this is my signature!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes cjlr's post
29-08-2014, 09:46 PM
(29-08-2014 09:43 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(29-08-2014 02:33 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  You did a shit job of explaining because you didn't answer my question (or even listen to what it was). How come I can do the exact same thing on a lock twice in a row but get different results? That is what I don't understand. That is what leads me to think there's something I'm missing. That is why I gave up playing that game.

Tbh though, it wasn't like it was particularly great up until that point anyway. It was essentially Skyrim but ridiculously more tedious and confusing. And I have a game that is like Skyrim but not excessively tedious or confusing, it's called SKYRIM.

I have trouble going back and playing Oblivion (and Morrowind) too. Skyrim does what they do, only better. So unless you're really set on re-experiencing the story (which has never been a strong point of the series), usually their latest outing is the best if you just really enjoy the mechanics and exploring the world. Bethesda are great world-builders, not story tellers. If you want a good story, one worth playing over and over again, go play a Bioware RPG (I'm actually replaying Dragon Age II again for the umpteenth time).

Mass Effect 3 shows that endings are not their strongpoint.

“You see… sometimes life gives you lemons. And when that happens… you need to find some spell that makes lemons explode, because lemons are terrible. I only ate them once and I can say with certainty they are the worst fruit. If life gave me lemons, I would view it as nothing short of a declaration of war."
[+] 1 user Likes DemonicLemon's post
30-08-2014, 01:22 AM (This post was last modified: 30-08-2014 09:42 PM by EvolutionKills.)
(29-08-2014 09:46 PM)DemonicLemon Wrote:  
(29-08-2014 09:43 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  I have trouble going back and playing Oblivion (and Morrowind) too. Skyrim does what they do, only better. So unless you're really set on re-experiencing the story (which has never been a strong point of the series), usually their latest outing is the best if you just really enjoy the mechanics and exploring the world. Bethesda are great world-builders, not story tellers. If you want a good story, one worth playing over and over again, go play a Bioware RPG (I'm actually replaying Dragon Age II again for the umpteenth time).

So they fumbled the very ending of a trilogy, the culmination of hundreds of hours of game-play; the previous 99.9% of which were absolutely stellar. Also the Extended Cut DLC they released for free after the fact took care of any trouble I had with it, so I'm good.

The difference between Bioware and Bethesda is, that in Mass Effect, the Citadel or Omega were awesome set pieces; but you were never given free reign to explore. If they had been made by Bethesda, you'd have a complete asteroid or space station to explore, but the story wouldn't have been anywhere near as focused or cohesive.

I mean, you've got very linear, story driven RPG's on one end; these tend to be the JPRG's like Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest. Moving a bit away from that you get into Chrono Trigger and Bravely Default; a strong linear story with some branching paths and different possible endings. In between you have Bioware's console games, Knight of the Old Republic, Jade Empire, and Mass Effect. Taking it a little bit further into the free-roaming spectrum, you run into older style PC-RPG's, like Bioware's earlier Baldur's Gate series and the older Fallout's. At the farthest end of the spectrum, the complete sandbox RPG, you have Bethesda's games, the Fallout and Elder Scroll series.

I like custom characters, I like mechanics, I like exploration, and I like story; which makes Fallout my de facto favorite game series. So I generally enjoy everything on the spectrum except for the rigid classical JRPG's, which after you've played through the story once, leave me little reason to come back again.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
30-08-2014, 01:35 AM (This post was last modified: 30-08-2014 01:44 AM by EvolutionKills.)
(29-08-2014 09:46 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(29-08-2014 09:43 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  I have trouble going back and playing Oblivion (and Morrowind) too. Skyrim does what they do, only better. So unless you're really set on re-experiencing the story (which has never been a strong point of the series), usually their latest outing is the best if you just really enjoy the mechanics and exploring the world. Bethesda are great world-builders, not story tellers. If you want a good story, one worth playing over and over again, go play a Bioware RPG (I'm actually replaying Dragon Age II again for the umpteenth time).

A) anyone who plays Bethesda games vanilla is an idiot.

B) Bioware's best was Jade Empire. DAII is a shitshow.

I enjoy DAII, it's basically Dragon Age as seen through Mass Effect 2; and I love Mass Effect 2. It's also the only RPG that I've ever enjoyed playing a mage in, and I enjoyed the whole supporting cast much more so than in DA:O, which had some real stinkers (generic angry drunk dwarf, stereotypical sexually promiscuous Latino-elf, and boring old woman).

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
30-08-2014, 01:41 AM
I definitely enjoyed oblivion much more than skyrim. The leveling system in Skyrim is better though, I'll give it that.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
30-08-2014, 07:45 PM
(29-08-2014 09:46 PM)DemonicLemon Wrote:  

Still, to this day, I have not been able to get into Mass Effect...

Sorry not sorry. Big Grin

(30-08-2014 01:41 AM)Adrianime Wrote:  I definitely enjoyed oblivion much more than skyrim. The leveling system in Skyrim is better though, I'll give it that.

I just hate having to find somewhere to fall asleep to be able to level up.
30-08-2014, 07:49 PM
(30-08-2014 07:45 PM)Ferdinand Wrote:  
(30-08-2014 01:41 AM)Adrianime Wrote:  I definitely enjoyed oblivion much more than skyrim. The leveling system in Skyrim is better though, I'll give it that.

I just hate having to find somewhere to fall asleep to be able to level up.

Removing it made owning a bed pointless. In skyrim all you need is 1 container to store all the stuff you don't want to carry, everyone is a werewolf so there is never a reason to sleep.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
30-08-2014, 08:01 PM
(30-08-2014 07:49 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(30-08-2014 07:45 PM)Ferdinand Wrote:  I just hate having to find somewhere to fall asleep to be able to level up.

Removing it made owning a bed pointless. In skyrim all you need is 1 container to store all the stuff you don't want to carry, everyone is a werewolf so there is never a reason to sleep.

Unless you're a vampire and you're getting vamp perks. But even then the "well rested" bonus isn't exactly a huge benefit...
30-08-2014, 08:12 PM
(30-08-2014 08:01 PM)Ferdinand Wrote:  
(30-08-2014 07:49 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Removing it made owning a bed pointless. In skyrim all you need is 1 container to store all the stuff you don't want to carry, everyone is a werewolf so there is never a reason to sleep.

Unless you're a vampire and you're getting vamp perks. But even then the "well rested" bonus isn't exactly a huge benefit...

It felt more roleplay-y to have to rest to level up. Skyrim was very light on the rp aspects, depending on how you feel about those that is a positive or negative.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
30-08-2014, 10:29 PM
I sympathise... Lockpicking in Oblivion is a bastard.

I'll try this pin... Break! This pin... Break! How 'bout this pin... Break!

You are out of lockpicks...

Aaaaaaarrrrrrgggghhhhh....

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user