Hullo

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-05-2012, 02:37 AM
Hullo
So, a bit about me... I'm 33, a widower, a student, fairly nerdy, and a sometime bookworm. I wasn't really raised in religious homes, and didn't start thinking about religion much until I was 18 (when I became a Christian). However, since that time I have been fascinated by Christianity (and religion in general), even in my deepest/strongest moments of agnosticism or atheism. I was a Protestant for a few years, but eventually converted to Eastern Orthodox Christianity. Then about six years ago I left Christianity, though I've been noncommittal about what team I'm playing for since then.

I hadn't read a book by Dawkins or Dennett (or anyone like that) before leaving Christianity. I had read a couple works of Nietzsche in my early 20s, but had little memory of them. Some people say things like: "If you want to know why I'm an atheist, just read the Bible," and that really was my experience. Well, not just the Bible, but also a heavy dose of the Church Fathers and traditional Christian theology as well. So I didn't become an atheist because arguments against Christianity by nonbelievers were persuasive (though I think many are), but rather because I just couldn't figure out how to make sense of Christianity. Take the Bible, for example: it's the foundational text of Christianity, yet if you ask an Oriental Orthodox Christian from Ethiopia, an Eastern Orthodox Christian from Russia, a Roman Catholic Christian from Italy, and a non-demoninational Protestant from Ohio what books are in the Bible, you'll get four different answers. Shouldn't this be something that is agreed on? Or at least shouldn't all the groups who claim to be able to trace their roots back to early Church agree? I wondered how I could be expected to believe what was in the Bible--and base my life on it--if I didn't even know for sure what books God wanted in there?

Along the way I've generally had a skeptical approach to things, not so much in the modern myth-buster sense (though I do enjoy the Amazing Randi, Shermer, etc.), but in a deeper epistemological sense. For a long time I viewed the skepticism of someone like Descartes as fairly half-hearted (and sort of strange); if you weren't willing to go the full way, like Arcesilaus or Carneades, what was the point? But I have since softened on that.

Anyway, so a bit of other stuff about me, which may give some insight into my particular brand of craziness. In between reading high falutin books about philosophy or theology, I like to sit back and listen to some Megadeth or Mastodon. I guess I can't decide whether I want to be an intellectual or a lowbrow hillbilly. I think Evil Dead 2 was the greatest movie ever made, so maybe that says enough on that point. Big Grin When I play video games it's usually strategy or RPG. Dragon Quest, Civilization, that type of stuff. And I said earlier that I was fairly nerdy, which means I must (by law) be a frighteningly rabid fan of either Star Wars or Star Trek. For me it's Trek (DS9 in particular).
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Erdrickgr's post
13-05-2012, 11:25 AM
RE: Hullo
Welcome to TTA. Your nerdiness will suit you well for fitting in here. Tongue

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
13-05-2012, 05:38 PM
I can handle love for DS9, if you had said voyager, or the newest series I might be offended. I mean I like Scott Bakula and all, but wow that series sucked. And Voyager, don't get me started on the awfulness of that one. Brutal. Hopefully the popularity of the new movie (which I liked) will turn Star Trek around. Otherwise me thinks it is doomed to the fate of Star Wars and it`s terrible episodes one through three, and subsequent whoring of all things Wars. George Lucas is the devil.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
13-05-2012, 05:46 PM
(13-05-2012 02:37 AM)Erdrickgr Wrote:  So, a bit about me... I'm 33, a widower, a student, fairly nerdy, and a sometime bookworm. I wasn't really raised in religious homes, and didn't start thinking about religion much until I was 18 (when I became a Christian). However, since that time I have been fascinated by Christianity (and religion in general), even in my deepest/strongest moments of agnosticism or atheism. I was a Protestant for a few years, but eventually converted to Eastern Orthodox Christianity. Then about six years ago I left Christianity, though I've been noncommittal about what team I'm playing for since then.

I hadn't read a book by Dawkins or Dennett (or anyone like that) before leaving Christianity. I had read a couple works of Nietzsche in my early 20s, but had little memory of them. Some people say things like: "If you want to know why I'm an atheist, just read the Bible," and that really was my experience. Well, not just the Bible, but also a heavy dose of the Church Fathers and traditional Christian theology as well. So I didn't become an atheist because arguments against Christianity by nonbelievers were persuasive (though I think many are), but rather because I just couldn't figure out how to make sense of Christianity. Take the Bible, for example: it's the foundational text of Christianity, yet if you ask an Oriental Orthodox Christian from Ethiopia, an Eastern Orthodox Christian from Russia, a Roman Catholic Christian from Italy, and a non-demoninational Protestant from Ohio what books are in the Bible, you'll get four different answers. Shouldn't this be something that is agreed on? Or at least shouldn't all the groups who claim to be able to trace their roots back to early Church agree? I wondered how I could be expected to believe what was in the Bible--and base my life on it--if I didn't even know for sure what books God wanted in there?

Along the way I've generally had a skeptical approach to things, not so much in the modern myth-buster sense (though I do enjoy the Amazing Randi, Shermer, etc.), but in a deeper epistemological sense. For a long time I viewed the skepticism of someone like Descartes as fairly half-hearted (and sort of strange); if you weren't willing to go the full way, like Arcesilaus or Carneades, what was the point? But I have since softened on that.

Anyway, so a bit of other stuff about me, which may give some insight into my particular brand of craziness. In between reading high falutin books about philosophy or theology, I like to sit back and listen to some Megadeth or Mastodon. I guess I can't decide whether I want to be an intellectual or a lowbrow hillbilly. I think Evil Dead 2 was the greatest movie ever made, so maybe that says enough on that point. Big Grin When I play video games it's usually strategy or RPG. Dragon Quest, Civilization, that type of stuff. And I said earlier that I was fairly nerdy, which means I must (by law) be a frighteningly rabid fan of either Star Wars or Star Trek. For me it's Trek (DS9 in particular).
Welcome!
An interesting mix.........me, I'm quite heavy into philosophy; also like footy and Country and Western.

This forum is very open and friendly;enjoy! Smile
13-05-2012, 05:57 PM
(13-05-2012 02:37 AM)Erdrickgr Wrote:  So, a bit about me... I'm 33, a widower, ...

That's gotta leave a mark. ... don't wanna feel that pain. ... Welcome, Brother Erdrickgr.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
13-05-2012, 06:21 PM
Welcome to TTA Smile

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)
14-05-2012, 12:10 AM
Thanks for the welcome Smile