Hum-Off with a Taxi Driver

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-11-2016, 11:38 PM
Hum-Off with a Taxi Driver
The journey from KLIA (Kuala Lumpur International Airport) to home, traffic permitting, takes around an hour.

About a minute in to the trip, the driver started a humming sound, which morphed into a kinda mumbled tune.

After a few minutes of this, I told the guy, "if you like music, I have no problem if you want to turn on the radio."

With a genuine smile, he said, "It's the Quran."

"I know" said I.

The fact that I was making a bit of a dig at him, passed him by.

Twenty minutes, or so, later his 'tune' must have awoken a sleeping earworm in my inner ear and I started humming, softly, too. He increased his volume a little. I didn't want to escalate this so I kept my volume down low but dropped an octave for greater resonance.

And this continued for the remainder of the journey (maybe thirty minutes) only broken by the occasional stop at a toll station or when he burped (which he did quite often) - I don't remember any belches in the sacred text but who knows, I might have read the wrong translation Rolleyes

As I stepped from the car he politely asked, "I hope you didn't mind me praying the Quran?"

I replied, "I hope you didn't mind my Jewish one" and closed the door (with attitude).

I was lying, of course. I know no Jewish prayers or half-Jewish prayers or any at all that are even Jew-ish.

But the version of the tune in my head was the Word Of Gabriel (a real Gabriel) from a book containing more love than hate.

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 10 users Like DLJ's post
13-11-2016, 11:52 PM
RE: Hum-Off with a Taxi Driver
Passive-aggressive, as only DLJ can. Tongue

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
14-11-2016, 12:09 AM
(13-11-2016 11:38 PM)DLJ Wrote:  The journey from KLIA (Kuala Lumpur International Airport) to home, traffic permitting, takes around an hour.

About a minute in to the trip, the driver started a humming sound, which morphed into a kinda mumbled tune.

After a few minutes of this, I told the guy, "if you like music, I have no problem if you want to turn on the radio."

With a genuine smile, he said, "It's the Quran."

"I know" said I.

The fact that I was making a bit of a dig at him, passed him by.

Twenty minutes, or so, later his 'tune' must have awoken a sleeping earworm in my inner ear and I started humming, softly, too. He increased his volume a little. I didn't want to escalate this so I kept my volume down low but dropped an octave for greater resonance.

And this continued for the remainder of the journey (maybe thirty minutes) only broken by the occasional stop at a toll station or when he burped (which he did quite often) - I don't remember any belches in the sacred text but who knows, I might have read the wrong translation Rolleyes

As I stepped from the car he politely asked, "I hope you didn't mind me praying the Quran?"

I replied, "I hope you didn't mind my Jewish one" and closed the door (with attitude).

I was lying, of course. I know no Jewish prayers or half-Jewish prayers or any at all that are even Jew-ish.

But the version of the tune in my head was the Word Of Gabriel (a real Gabriel) from a book containing more love than hate.

We don't really have standardized tunes to our Torah. I mean, my own community has their tunes, but if I go to the Sephardi shul nextdoor or the Chabad down the block, I'll hear totally different tunes.

I think you were good with Peter Gabriel. Well done! Thumbsup
[+] 1 user Likes Aliza's post
14-11-2016, 12:24 AM
That was neat. You're a classy guy DLJ.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
14-11-2016, 07:04 AM
You'd almost have to say it was Jewish prayers.......

I don't think it's possible to hum Ozzie Osbourne tunes, (they need to be full volume) - so Satanism is straight out......

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.