Human emotion

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-10-2015, 02:43 PM
Human emotion
We always see movies like I'robot where they go on about how the robots are inferior because the don't have human emotion. But isn't human emotion the root of all our problems. Think about it. It keeps us from making logical decision and instead we care only about how we feel. Wouldn't society run better if everyone made the decisions to better everyone instead of what works best for you? It's the reason we have billionaire's taking advantage of undereducated poor people. All they have to do is use the best emotional leverage possible...fear.

And what about love? If you're lucky enough to be attractive to someone in order to feel this emotion you could a) get your heartbroken due to someone falling out of love with you or b) you live a good life with that person and then inevitably one of you will die before the other leaving one person feeling standed and again...heartbroken.

Just seem that these emotions are a big flaw in out genetic make-up. But what do I know I just got demoted in the military for pot smoking.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-10-2015, 02:52 PM
RE: Human emotion

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
20-10-2015, 03:00 PM
(20-10-2015 02:43 PM)MrKrispy601 Wrote:  We always see movies like I'robot where they go on about how the robots are inferior because the don't have human emotion. But isn't human emotion the root of all our problems. Think about it. It keeps us from making logical decision and instead we care only about how we feel. Wouldn't society run better if everyone made the decisions to better everyone instead of what works best for you?

That is called 'the tragedy of the commons' and is the only evolutionary stable algorithm.

Quote:It's the reason we have billionaire's taking advantage of undereducated poor people. All they have to do is use the best emotional leverage possible...fear.

Yes.

Quote:And what about love? If you're lucky enough to be attractive to someone in order to feel this emotion you could a) get your heartbroken due to someone falling out of love with you or b) you live a good life with that person and then inevitably one of you will die before the other leaving one person feeling standed and again...heartbroken.

In many species, most males never get the opportunity to mate.

Quote:Just seem that these emotions are a big flaw in out genetic make-up. But what do I know I just got demoted in the military for pot smoking.

Facepalm

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
20-10-2015, 03:06 PM
(20-10-2015 02:43 PM)MrKrispy601 Wrote:  Wouldn't society run better if everyone made the decisions to better everyone instead of what works best for you?

Can you give example of something being better for everyone having in mind that there is no universally accepted definition of better? Something better for x would not be better for y.

Such thinking for me is dangerously close to doing something for greater good and greater good is perhaps favourite word of dictators.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 2 users Like Szuchow's post
20-10-2015, 03:34 PM
Humans can definitely be manipulated due to emotions such as fear, lust, jealousy, greed etc. But having emotions can also be a wonderful thing. For instance, I love falling in love. I love the way that feels when you find someone amazing who reciprocates your feelings. There is nothing better than passionate sex with someone who you are attracted to in every way imaginable way. Unfortunately with love, heartbreak is a possibility. But I still wouldn't want to go through life not feeling anything. That would be a very boring existence.

BTW, your post kind of reminded me of the movie Equilibrium. I don't know if you've seen it?
[+] 3 users Like jennybee's post
20-10-2015, 03:45 PM
It's a paradox that you need emotions in order to act rationally. You need to be able to make irrational preferences in order to act rationally, otherwise you will forever get stuck in trying to decide and never acting.

Seen in terms of the human or animal as a complex system, emotions are used to arbitrate between competing needs. We must eat, drink, breed, stay alive etc. But we only have one body. So when faced with hunger and thirst for example, if you can't decide between trying to satisfy either hunger or thirst then you are less likely to succeed in satisfying either need.

Also emotions may seem illogical because they are judged within the wrong context.

Cognition widens the range of choices available to us when deciding how to behave and act. Emotions narrow the range. A rabbit needs to react strongly to the presence of a predator and not stop running away until it feels safe again. It won't live long if it gets distracted by some green grass because the predator has been silent for the previous few seconds.

Likewise, some emotions narrow the ranges of choices for situations in ways that seem illogical for an individual, but makes rational sense when seen on an evolutionary time scale. The classic example is the jealous wife who is on the lookout for any signs of infidelity and will explode into a rage at the drop of the hat. This seems irrational but could be better understood as an instinct that has evolved to stop any potential mate from being tempted in the first place and thereby reduces the risk of the woman being abandoned when she has to raise her offspring.

The fact is that we still have emotions. Animals have emotions. There's evidence to suggest that you cannot have intelligence without emotions. We have emotions for a reason, and if they carried a cost then they would have been evolved out.
[+] 3 users Like Mathilda's post
21-10-2015, 04:03 PM
(20-10-2015 02:43 PM)MrKrispy601 Wrote:  We always see movies like I'robot where they go on about how the robots are inferior because the don't have human emotion. But isn't human emotion the root of all our problems. Think about it. It keeps us from making logical decision and instead we care only about how we feel. Wouldn't society run better if everyone made the decisions to better everyone instead of what works best for you? It's the reason we have billionaire's taking advantage of undereducated poor people. All they have to do is use the best emotional leverage possible...fear.

And what about love? If you're lucky enough to be attractive to someone in order to feel this emotion you could a) get your heartbroken due to someone falling out of love with you or b) you live a good life with that person and then inevitably one of you will die before the other leaving one person feeling standed and again...heartbroken.

Just seem that these emotions are a big flaw in out genetic make-up. But what do I know I just got demoted in the military for pot smoking.

They may be problematic, but life would not be worth living without them IMO.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
[+] 1 user Likes true scotsman's post
21-10-2015, 08:18 PM (This post was last modified: 21-10-2015 08:22 PM by Siz.)
Emotions have key evolutionary advantages. One is to help protect us from danger (fear, anger). Another is to enable social cohesion (love, empathy). And possibly most importantly, they facilitate procreation and nurture. There's no flaw, but there are trade-offs (heartbreak is a bi-product of love, misdirected anger is dangerous). On balance evolution has found a workable compromise. No, it's not perfect, but we weren't designed from scratch, were we?!

Issues occur in modern life because lifestyles and society are now very different from what our emotions had evolved to endure. The fact that the billionaire is able, emotionally, to exploit the poor is because of societal fragmentation. Emotionally, he is separated from the poor - they are not his clan. Our communities today do not have the personal connections that historically had facilitated social cohesion and sense of a common purpose. Society is changing much faster than we can cope with emotionally. Where that takes us is anybody's guess. Uncharted territory.

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton Lavey
If god had meant us to believe in him he would've existed - Linda Smith