Human ignorance and its effects

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-02-2015, 08:34 AM
Human ignorance and its effects
This is related to the post Tomasia started on morality that has devolved into him avoiding and dodging any question or point posed to him under the guise of "that's not what this thread is about."

This thread is about anything and everything related to how human ignorance and incorrect beliefs/assumptions/ideas have shaped society, for better or for worse.

What are some of these ignorances? What assumptions and/or beliefs, that were incorrect or erroneous, have shaped society for the better? For the worse?

I'll start with an obvious one, religious "morality." Notions of morality have been with human society for quite some time, likely derived from altruistic behaviors. But religious commandments, guides, and laws governing morality do not actually make a person moral, because the religious follower of these guidelines is following them under the assumption that they are innately moral actions dictated by a moral being. This makes the religious actor amoral, not moral. This is in line with the idea that a good man, left to his own devices, will do good things. A bad man will do bad things. But if you want a good man to do bad things, you should give him religion.

Notions of divined or dictated morality are not exclusive to religion though, but it is interesting that it shares similarities with other instances of clearly immoral actions assumed to be moral because of who they are coming from (like genocide because it comes from your fuhrer).

Religious moral codes have led to burning people at the stake for being of a different religion or sexual persuasion, slavery and the defense of its practice through the bible's message of condoning it, people killing their kids in anticipation of the apocalypse, etc.

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 7 users Like TheBeardedDude's post
03-02-2015, 09:15 AM
RE: Human ignorance and its effects
1. "I promise to pay the bearer..."

I blame Mayer Amschel Rothschild

[Image: Promise-To-Pay.jpg]

2. Animism

I blame Walt Disney

[Image: sun-worship.jpg]

3. "Marriage is between a man and a woman"

Not what you think... it's the 'a' that I have a problem with.

[Image: funny-living-girls-toilet-paper-empty1.jpg]

[+] 8 users Like DLJ's post
09-02-2015, 02:07 PM (This post was last modified: 09-02-2015 02:16 PM by TheInquisition.)
The practice of sacrifice to appease the gods has to be one of the most reprehensible, we still believe in ancient gods, Weeping but at least the idea of human sacrifice has been relegated to our past.

Could you imagine living in a Mayan city during a major event with large scale human sacrifice going on as blood pours down the steps of their temples while the victim's screams echoed through the city?

Maybe if I was raised in this culture it would have been just a part of life. A short and brutal life!

I wonder how many were horrified about this aspect of their culture?

The troubling thing is, there may not have been too many that found it reprehensible.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 2 users Like TheInquisition's post
09-02-2015, 03:13 PM
Look no further than medicine and medical practices.

The 10 Most Insane Medical Practices in History
By Nathan Birch November 20, 2007

#10. Children's Soothing Syrups

...each ounce of Mrs. Winslow's Soothing Syrup contained 65 mg of pure morphine.

#9. The Curative Powers of Mercury

It’s a testament to just how cool a substance Mercury is that people kept trying to cure shit with it for 1,000 years after everybody who ingested it dropped dead.

#8. Calm Your Cough with Heroin

In the late 19th century people apparently took cough suppression seriously. We're talking "I'm-going-to-take-me- some-heroin-to-calm-this-cough" level serious, here.

#7. Electrical Impotence Cures

Electrified beds, elaborate cock shocking electric belts and other strange devices were advertised as being able to return “male power" and prowess by making your penis rise to electrified attention like Frankenstein's 6-inch-tall monster.

#6. Lobotomies

This practice didn't hang around as long as some on our list, but still some 70,000 people were lobotomized before somebody figured out that driving a spike into the brain probably was not the answer to all of life's problems.

#5. Urine Therapy

It was said to cure an endless list of ailments and promote good health if drank, was applied to the skin and yes some even used it to give themselves (turn away now weak-of-heart) a nice bracing urine enema.

#4. Bloodletting

Bloodletting was one of the most enduring and popular medical practices in history, originated by the Greeks and used up until the 19th century for, well, basically everything.

#3. Hard Core Diet Remedies

Oh, and since we just can't resist grossing you fine readers out, there have long existed stories that in the 1920s and '30s capsules filled with dehydrated tapeworms or tapeworm eggs were sold as diet pills.

#2. Trepanation

Trepanation is a fancy word for drilling holes in your head. This is actually the oldest surgical procedure known to man as humans have been intentionally knocking holes in their skulls dating back to the time of cavemen...

#1. Female Hysteria Cures

So, how exactly do you cure a so-called "condition" that coincidentally was diagnosed almost entirely to women who dared disobey their Victorian husbands? Glad you asked. The prescription for female hysteria was usually a good spot of doctor administered vaginal massage until the woman achieved "hysterical paroxysm."

http://www.cracked.com/article_15669_the...story.html

Hobo

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 8 users Like Full Circle's post
09-02-2015, 03:30 PM (This post was last modified: 09-02-2015 03:37 PM by pablo.)
Any notion that supposes some sort of invisible, supernatural force can and does do anything at all is horseshit.
[+] 1 user Likes pablo's post
10-02-2015, 12:36 AM
I could go on a list of links as well to think of so many of these, but I like to hamper on the poor subconscious ones that have torn humans awry in the era of civilization.

That's the notion of accepting Confidence as knowledge of something. It applies overwhelmingly to religion and so many other situations.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
10-02-2015, 01:12 AM
(09-02-2015 03:13 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  Look no further than medicine and medical practices.

The 10 Most Insane Medical Practices in History
By Nathan Birch November 20, 2007

#10. Children's Soothing Syrups

...each ounce of Mrs. Winslow's Soothing Syrup contained 65 mg of pure morphine.

#9. The Curative Powers of Mercury

It’s a testament to just how cool a substance Mercury is that people kept trying to cure shit with it for 1,000 years after everybody who ingested it dropped dead.

#8. Calm Your Cough with Heroin

In the late 19th century people apparently took cough suppression seriously. We're talking "I'm-going-to-take-me- some-heroin-to-calm-this-cough" level serious, here.

#7. Electrical Impotence Cures

Electrified beds, elaborate cock shocking electric belts and other strange devices were advertised as being able to return “male power" and prowess by making your penis rise to electrified attention like Frankenstein's 6-inch-tall monster.

#6. Lobotomies

This practice didn't hang around as long as some on our list, but still some 70,000 people were lobotomized before somebody figured out that driving a spike into the brain probably was not the answer to all of life's problems.

#5. Urine Therapy

It was said to cure an endless list of ailments and promote good health if drank, was applied to the skin and yes some even used it to give themselves (turn away now weak-of-heart) a nice bracing urine enema.

#4. Bloodletting

Bloodletting was one of the most enduring and popular medical practices in history, originated by the Greeks and used up until the 19th century for, well, basically everything.

#3. Hard Core Diet Remedies

Oh, and since we just can't resist grossing you fine readers out, there have long existed stories that in the 1920s and '30s capsules filled with dehydrated tapeworms or tapeworm eggs were sold as diet pills.

#2. Trepanation

Trepanation is a fancy word for drilling holes in your head. This is actually the oldest surgical procedure known to man as humans have been intentionally knocking holes in their skulls dating back to the time of cavemen...

#1. Female Hysteria Cures

So, how exactly do you cure a so-called "condition" that coincidentally was diagnosed almost entirely to women who dared disobey their Victorian husbands? Glad you asked. The prescription for female hysteria was usually a good spot of doctor administered vaginal massage until the woman achieved "hysterical paroxysm."

http://www.cracked.com/article_15669_the...story.html

Hobo

...to which you need to add vaccine denial and its accompanying "therapies" and homeopathy.

"I don't mind being wrong...it's a time I get to learn something new..."
Me.
N.B: I routinely make edits to posts to correct grammar or spelling, or to restate a point more clearly. I only notify edits if they materially change meaning.
[+] 1 user Likes gofish!'s post
10-02-2015, 03:56 AM
10 and 8 To be fair, the best cough syrups still contain opiates - Tussionex will calm my cough and knock my ass out for 16 hours.

1 A good vaginal massage calms me down, too. I can think of a few doctors that I'd let perform some maneuvers on me. I have been under a lot of stress lately.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 5 users Like Nurse's post
10-02-2015, 05:22 PM
Well.....how to follow that? Smile

"I don't mind being wrong...it's a time I get to learn something new..."
Me.
N.B: I routinely make edits to posts to correct grammar or spelling, or to restate a point more clearly. I only notify edits if they materially change meaning.
[+] 1 user Likes gofish!'s post
10-02-2015, 08:21 PM
When people live their lives according to beliefs or ideologies that they haven't fully studied or researched it becomes a problem. This is valid for religion, politics, sociology, culture and so on... I've met many people who professed terrible points of view due to a lack of understanding. A good example is racism - Not subtle racism, but real racism, I have a friend who genuinely thinks white people are better and distrusts anyone who isn't white, and he is wholly convinced to be right - He has probably never researched on race, ethnicity and existing differences that make it clear race is irrelevant to determine what you will become later in life.

Many dangerous ideas have been propagated in history and succeeded thanks to a lack of knowledge. Knowledge is a powerful tool to fight ignorance. People need to be aware of what they stand for before making a decision, they need to research, to question, to think and rethink - This is something I don't see happening much

"A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything" - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 1 user Likes Blackout's post