Human life vs a toaster

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-07-2015, 04:33 PM
Human life vs a toaster
The creator of humanity was a string of self-replicating molecules. The molecules that inserted themselves into lipid bilayers (their first shields) survived the longest and went on to evolve and build up ever more complex shields around themselves.

Humans are one such shield developed by these mindless creators. You, your mind, your family and friends, love itself- all these things were constructed to stabilize the self-replicating molecules and act as carriers for them. Everything, from your love to your anger, your enjoyment of eating, your desire to have friends, every little part of your psychology, were all constructed towards this 'purpose'.

This is the closest thing to a creator and given purpose a human has- a glorified shield of molecules, one with a mind, yes, but a mind that only exists to shield the self-replicating molecule.

These molecules do not care about you. They do not care if your mind 'fits' the world so that you can know happiness in it. In many ways, it actually made your satisfaction impossible to realize in this world.

The machines you silently despise are little different in many regards. They too grew in complexity and exist to sustain their creators. But of course, machines are created consciously. They have purpose imparted on them by their creators in a way humans do not. A toaster is created to make toast- this is known and a toaster need never question it. Sometimes a machine can even be loved by it's creator- something no human can claim.

If you value purpose and meaning, does not a toaster have more certain value than you? If humans can 'give themselves' meaning, then could a thinking machine not do the same? If its creator is uncaring should it not do so? What duty can you say a toaster has to its creator, when you defy your own?

Just as a human needs not its self-replicating molecule to enjoy love, I imagine a thinking toaster need not a human to feed to enjoy making toast.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-07-2015, 05:55 PM
RE: Human life vs a toaster
Hello! Big Grin

While an interesting take on "What it means to 'be'."

I don't see it progressing further than, say, as an interesting hook for some Sci-Fi (Androids creaming of electric cheep, any one?)

Much cheers to all.
04-07-2015, 05:59 PM
Perhaps I smoked too much weed....Drinking Beverage

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 3 users Like Dom's post
04-07-2015, 06:09 PM
(04-07-2015 05:59 PM)Dom Wrote:  Perhaps I smoked too much weed....Drinking Beverage

Then WTF is my excuse? Blink

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
04-07-2015, 06:29 PM
(04-07-2015 05:59 PM)Dom Wrote:  Perhaps I smoked too much weed....Drinking Beverage

How zen.
04-07-2015, 06:57 PM
@Geopum

Clever joke about the purpose of life. It got a chuckle out of me. Too much anthropomorphism thrown in the natural process of life to be a good resume of it though.
[+] 1 user Likes epronovost's post
04-07-2015, 07:15 PM
I don't have anything intelligent or insightful to say, I just have the toaster from Red Dwarf stuck in my head now.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
04-07-2015, 07:21 PM
(04-07-2015 07:15 PM)yakherder Wrote:  I don't have anything intelligent or insightful to say, I just have the toaster from Red Dwarf stuck in my head now.

I appreciate that this is one of the first toaster characters, but it reinforces negative stereotypes.

To this day, The Brave Little Toaster remains the only film to portray a toaster as a well-rounded character. It's sad in a way that society is still so backwards
[+] 1 user Likes Geopum's post
04-07-2015, 07:28 PM
Perhaps toasters need a flag and a movement.

Whatever happened to that toaster screen saver from years ago?

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRRh_W0HJTfocJKbJjxwI9...6LL7SgGuVN]

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
04-07-2015, 07:41 PM
(04-07-2015 07:28 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Perhaps toasters need a flag and a movement.

Whatever happened to that toaster screen saver from years ago?

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRRh_W0HJTfocJKbJjxwI9...6LL7SgGuVN]

[Image: flying-toasters-o.gif]

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post