Human soul monopoly

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-11-2012, 01:12 PM
Human soul monopoly
I think that is commonly accepted by theists that only humans possess souls (Bhudism would be an axception).

In fact, this is one of the main claims of monotheistic religions, per example. Here's the argument:

According to these people, souls are the source of emotions. Neurons are just the vehicle

Knowing that other animals have emotions, per example other primates, wouldn't that mean that they also possess a soul?

And if so, wouldn't this argument be sufficient to refute one of the main claims of monotheistic religions?

I really would not accept a counter-argument that we're the only ones with feelings. That would be just irrational.

What do you think?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-11-2012, 01:15 PM
RE: Human soul monopoly
I think that there is no such thing as a soul. Does that count as an answer?

However, I think that the soul is about more than just feelings. Also, some (Thomas Aquinas) have claimed that all living things have souls, but only those of humans are immortal.

Either way, the soul is such a vague concept that I don't it being refuted so easily.

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
Find all posts by this user
29-11-2012, 01:27 PM
(29-11-2012 01:15 PM)Vera Wrote:  I think that there is no such thing as a soul. Does that count as an answer?

However, I think that the soul is about more than just feelings. Also, some (Thomas Aquinas) have claimed that all living things have souls, but only those of humans are immortal.

Either way, the soul is such a vague concept that I don't it being refuted so easily.
Soul, at least for the monotheistic religions, is a precise concept: it is the primary source of all we are, including emotions. The body is just a vehicle.

So, assuming that only humans possess it, this argument at least would have as a conclusion that souls are not the primary source of all we are.

Now, as theists can use the unseen supernatural: all living beings have one, but ours is special. If this is the claim of religion then I guess my argument would be refuted. But I clear remember the priest in my town (yes I was a christian child) talking about the soulless animals.
29-11-2012, 01:34 PM
"The soul is the principle of life. Since animals and plants are
living things, they have souls, but not in the sense in which human
beings have souls. Our souls are rational--theirs aren't--and ours are
rational because they're spiritual, not material.

Animals and plants can't do anything which transcends the limitations
of matter. Although some animals seem clever, they don't actually
possess conceptional intelligence. They can't, for instance, conceive of
the abstract notion of justice."

From http://www.catholic.com
Neuroscientists working with primates would easily refute this claim. Saying that a chimpanzes do not have abstract rational thoughts is just non-sense. To say that they just react is just stupid....
29-11-2012, 01:38 PM
I don't know how widely accepted this is, but I asked my Mormon fiancee if only humans have souls. She said that all living things have souls. I asked if that meant every living thing goes to heaven. She said yes. I said, including mosquitoes, tape worms, and Lymphatic Filariasis (parasitic worms that only live in the human lymphatic system) - even nasty stuff like that goes to heaven. She said yes. I said those worms cannot exist, cannot live, without infecting a human host body. She said we have bodies in heaven. I said being infected by immortal worms for all of eternity doesn't seem like my idea of heavenly bliss. She said God would make it so that the worms and humans could co-exist in harmony in heaven. (side note, the worms don't cause any real problems until they die, so their immortal eternal heavenly worm bodies would never die, so maybe we could live in harmony - ewwww).

Seemed pretty far-fetched to me. I don't even think that's standard Mormon "doctrine", but I'd love to hear from any of our ex-Mormons here if they held similar beliefs.

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
29-11-2012, 01:39 PM
(29-11-2012 01:27 PM)tiagorod84 Wrote:  Soul, at least for the monotheistic religions, is a precise concept: it is the primary source of all we are, including emotions. The body is just a vehicle.

I guess this means that there is more to it than just emotions. But that still isn't a very precise concept - the source of all that we are. That can mean almost anything.

Quote:But I clear remember the priest in my town (yes I was a christian child) talking about the soulless animals.
Unfortunately, priests come in all shapes and sizes (and with all sorts of delusions).

You know what I've just realised? I'm not even sure what point I'm trying to make (other than being here to avoid working Sadcryface )

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post
29-11-2012, 01:44 PM (This post was last modified: 29-11-2012 01:48 PM by KidCharlemagne1962.)
I'm with Vera. I do not think any such thing exists.

Our species has a long and tattered history of ascribing special/mystical qualities to things they don't understand. This is just another one of those. It never leads to enlightenment only groping in darkness.

As far as soulless animals...if one believed in souls one could posit some of the most soulless creatures have been priest of one stripe or another.

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
29-11-2012, 01:45 PM
(29-11-2012 01:38 PM)Aseptic Skeptic Wrote:  I don't know how widely accepted this is, but I asked my Mormon fiancee if only humans have souls. She said that all living things have souls. I asked if that meant every living thing goes to heaven. She said yes. I said, including mosquitoes, tape worms, and Lymphatic Filariasis (parasitic worms that only live in the human lymphatic system) - even nasty stuff like that goes to heaven. She said yes. I said those worms cannot exist, cannot live, without infecting a human host body. She said we have bodies in heaven. I said being infected by immortal worms for all of eternity doesn't seem like my idea of heavenly bliss. She said God would make it so that the worms and humans could co-exist in harmony in heaven. (side note, the worms don't cause any real problems until they die, so their immortal eternal heavenly worm bodies would never die, so maybe we could live in harmony - ewwww).

Seemed pretty far-fetched to me. I don't even think that's standard Mormon "doctrine", but I'd love to hear from any of our ex-Mormons here if they held similar beliefs.
That's the ultimate religion jibba jabba... I'm still laughing.

When you think they cannot get more delusional...
[+] 1 user Likes tiagorod84's post
29-11-2012, 01:57 PM
The seat of human emotion is the Limbic system.
http://www.humantruth.info/emotions.html
The development of the idea that human have immortal souls is relatively new.
http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...surrection

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
29-11-2012, 02:30 PM
(29-11-2012 01:12 PM)tiagorod84 Wrote:  What do you think?
I have the same position towards souls that I have to every other extraordinary claim: If you assert that they exist, go ahead and prove it.

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]