Human vs Octopus Eye

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-10-2011, 09:27 AM

Human vs Octopus Eye
So i have heard it argued that the Octopus Eye is superior to ours. I take everything with a grain of skeptic salt.

I'll even fact check ole Dawkins.

What i found on my way to the facts was this gem. Its not so much the article, but the priceless posted comments at the bottom.

Seems this guy ignores his critics when challanged. Love it!!

Enjoy!

http://thebibleistheotherside.wordpress....n-or-good/

D
Quote this message in a reply
12-10-2011, 12:11 PM
RE: Human vs Octopus Eye
I've heard that as well. The Wikipedia article on the evolution of the eye mentions how much better the cephalopod eye is than ours.

This fundie paper on the the "complexity" of the eye was written by a medical doctor:

http://www.detectingdesign.com/humaneye.html

I haven't read it yet. I'm sure others who read it will find objections.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-10-2011, 06:27 PM
It's mentioned that the Human Eye or the eye of all vertebrates are designed with a blind spot while the Octopus eye doesn't have it.

Blind Spot wiki

This page has a test on it that you can take and it does work out that the mark on the screen is out of your site because of the blind spot.
Find all posts by this user
12-10-2011, 06:53 PM
(12-10-2011 06:27 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  It's mentioned that the Human Eye or the eye of all vertebrates are designed with a blind spot while the Octopus eye doesn't have it.

Blind Spot wiki

This page has a test on it that you can take and it does work out that the mark on the screen is out of your site because of the blind spot.

Holy shit, I loved that test.

"We Humans are capable of greatness." -Carl Sagan
12-10-2011, 07:07 PM
It is amazing to me that we still have to argue evolution is true and argue pointless positions on the eye, etc.

I believe the numbers are 38% of Americans believe evolution is true and 40% want creationism taught in high school science class in place of evolution.

If you haven't seen it check out the Dover, PA trials on PBS. The entire show is available on the PBS website. It will scare you and make you sad.
13-10-2011, 07:36 AM

(12-10-2011 07:07 PM)Thomas Wrote:  It is amazing to me that we still have to argue evolution is true and argue pointless positions on the eye, etc.

I believe the numbers are 38% of Americans believe evolution is true and 40% want creationism taught in high school science class in place of evolution.

If you haven't seen it check out the Dover, PA trials on PBS. The entire show is available on the PBS website. It will scare you and make you sad.

Thomas, well not to take this to a political discussion...but what amazes me is the INSISTENCE of Prayer in Schools and the 10 Commandments to be placed in every state building, and those SAME people want to BAN Sharia law (even though there is NO push to have it implemented).
These people fail to see the simple truth that they seek to be the "American Taliban'. Boggles the mind.

D
[+] 2 users Like Denicio's post
17-10-2011, 02:06 PM
Olorin really knows his stuff, and destroys everything that Michael posts. Which given the # of posts is astounding.
01-12-2011, 04:55 PM
Indeed its true that we don't exactly have the best eyes, and Ive heard this from several different evolutionary scientists and even one of my favorite scientists, the neuroscientist, Robert Sapolsky. It can easily be summed up with this short article -

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/evolution/change...age05.html

[Image: GummiSpider.jpg]
01-12-2011, 05:14 PM

i came because i can't resist anything out octopi.

they are some of the most intelligent and beautiful creatures around. and if they continue on their evolutionary path, their intelligence could eclipse our current intelligence in a few hundred million years.

long live the octopus! future masters of the planet!

[Image: octopus-coconut_10552_600x450.jpg]
05-12-2011, 11:34 AM (This post was last modified: 05-12-2011 11:35 AM by germanyt.)
(12-10-2011 06:27 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  It's mentioned that the Human Eye or the eye of all vertebrates are designed with a blind spot while the Octopus eye doesn't have it.

Blind Spot wiki

Just tried this like 10 times with each eye. I can see the X and O the whole time. Except when my nose is 1" from the screen. As I move away from the screen the marks come and stay in view.
(12-10-2011 07:07 PM)Thomas Wrote:  It is amazing to me that we still have to argue evolution is true and argue pointless positions on the eye, etc.

I recommend a documentary called Flock of Dodos. It's about all the court cases regarding creationism tought in school.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain