Human vs Octopus Eye

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-12-2011, 06:27 PM
RE: Human vs Octopus Eye
(05-12-2011 11:34 AM)germanyt Wrote:  
(12-10-2011 06:27 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  It's mentioned that the Human Eye or the eye of all vertebrates are designed with a blind spot while the Octopus eye doesn't have it.

Blind Spot wiki

This page has a test on it that you can take and it does work out that the mark on the screen is out of your site because of the blind spot.

Just tried this like 10 times with each eye. I can see the X and O the whole time. Except when my nose is 1" from the screen. As I move away from the screen the marks come and stay in view.

Try moveing your head a little to the left/right. My guess is that your head is centrered between the X and O (because when I do that I have the same problemTongue).
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-12-2011, 09:09 AM
(05-12-2011 06:27 PM)Jakel Wrote:  
(05-12-2011 11:34 AM)germanyt Wrote:  
(12-10-2011 06:27 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  It's mentioned that the Human Eye or the eye of all vertebrates are designed with a blind spot while the Octopus eye doesn't have it.

Blind Spot wiki

This page has a test on it that you can take and it does work out that the mark on the screen is out of your site because of the blind spot.

Just tried this like 10 times with each eye. I can see the X and O the whole time. Except when my nose is 1" from the screen. As I move away from the screen the marks come and stay in view.

Try moveing your head a little to the left/right. My guess is that your head is centrered between the X and O (because when I do that I have the same problemTongue).

Nope, I have octopus eyes.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
06-01-2012, 03:50 PM (This post was last modified: 07-01-2012 03:54 PM by ghostexorcist.)
I just recently purchased the book Evolution's Witness: How Eyes Evolved by Dr. Ivan R. Schwab. I haven't read it yet, but I look forward to learning more about the subject. It was suggested to me by Amazon. Of course the Amazon page has the obligatory 1-star reviews from Christians who have never read it. One of them posted a comment to all of the 5-star reviews damning the book because it never once mentions Intelligent Design, what they called the "elephant in the room." Anyway, the book is full of gorgeous photos of all sorts of eyes.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes ghostexorcist's post
06-01-2012, 10:16 PM
Joseph only wishes his coat were that technicoloured!

Octopuses are amazing! I love them, there are giant octopuses on the west coast, I'd love to see them. I am envious of their eyeballs.
07-01-2012, 07:11 AM
Octopuses are amazing creatures, as are squid. What kills me is that they are so intelligent, yet their lifespans are so short (I think on the order of four years, but I haven't looked up an official figure). Could you imagine if these animals could live long enough to really develop themselves? It makes for some interesting lines of thought.
[+] 1 user Likes Trapped Pentecostal's post