'Humanism' Care to define it?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-02-2014, 09:19 AM
RE: 'Humanism' Care to define it?
(21-02-2014 01:33 AM)donotwant Wrote:  Humanist is what people call themselves to appear extremely nice to the people around em to raise their own egos.

That sounds like unsupportable bullshit to me mate. I mean, it could also be someone who finds the term humanist best fits their world view, personal philosophy and political agenda. So there's that ...Drinking Beverage

A man blames his bad childhood on leprechauns. He claims they don't exist, but yet still says without a doubt that they stole all his money and then killed his parents. That's why he became Leprechaun-Man

Im_Ryan forum member
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-02-2014, 09:20 AM
(21-02-2014 02:11 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Humanism ...

A bit bigger than Racism.

Any time. No need to thank me.

Thumbsup

This made me genuinely laugh! So I'll thank you now! Laugh out load

A man blames his bad childhood on leprechauns. He claims they don't exist, but yet still says without a doubt that they stole all his money and then killed his parents. That's why he became Leprechaun-Man

Im_Ryan forum member
21-02-2014, 09:21 AM
Monster,
If you want your friend to be your celebrant, he can be.
He doesn't need to have any sort of qualification. If he's a special person to you both, that's all you need.
You will, however, need to pass by the Registry office for the legal bit.

We just went in with our witnesses while everyone waited outside for about 10 minutes after our informal, vow-exchanging ceremony in front of all our friends in the garden and then came back home for our party.
Mind you, we are only 3 minutes from the town hall and everyone went up there and back in convoy honking their horns all the way.
The trouble is that we get so used to going to church or full registry office weddings that it's hard sometimes to see a different, less complicated way of doing things.
Our wedding day was great - we had the solemnity required and the people we wanted doing the things we wanted. We're only in a small village so we know our Mayor, who did the legal bit, very well too.

I think 2500 quid is a lot of money which could be spent on having a wonderful honeymoon or fab piss up for all your friends and family.
That's my two penny worth.
[+] 1 user Likes englishrose's post
21-02-2014, 09:31 AM
(21-02-2014 09:21 AM)englishrose Wrote:  Monster,
If you want your friend to be your celebrant, he can be.
He doesn't need to have any sort of qualification. If he's a special person to you both, that's all you need.
You will, however, need to pass by the Registry office for the legal bit.

We just went in with our witnesses while everyone waited outside for about 10 minutes after our informal, vow-exchanging ceremony in front of all our friends in the garden and then came back home for our party.
Mind you, we are only 3 minutes from the town hall and everyone went up there and back in convoy honking their horns all the way.
The trouble is that we get so used to going to church or full registry office weddings that it's hard sometimes to see a different, less complicated way of doing things.
Our wedding day was great - we had the solemnity required and the people we wanted doing the things we wanted. We're only in a small village so we know our Mayor, who did the legal bit, very well too.

I think 2500 quid is a lot of money which could be spent on having a wonderful honeymoon or fab piss up for all your friends and family.
That's my two penny worth.

Your input is appreciated. I know he doesn't 'need' the qualification, even if he has it, currently we would STILL have to pass the registry office. And yeah, it's a lot of money. We don't drink a lot, nor do many of our friends (well 1 or 2 do) and we'll still get out on a honeymoon. I just think it's a nice thing to do for my friend and I have my reasons. I justify the money because a lot of people spend WAY more than that on all sorts of pomp and trimmings, which is something we won't be doing.

Your plan was one we had thought about before it evolved in to this! Smile

Im_Ryan forum member
21-02-2014, 09:43 AM
Thanks for acknowledging Monster.
I hope you have the day you both want and, if you give your friend the opportunity to be a wedding celebrant in the future, good for you.
The piss up was really a euphemism for a good old nosh.
[+] 1 user Likes englishrose's post
21-02-2014, 09:52 AM
(21-02-2014 09:43 AM)englishrose Wrote:  Thanks for acknowledging Monster.
I hope you have the day you both want and, if you give your friend the opportunity to be a wedding celebrant in the future, good for you.
The piss up was really a euphemism for a good old nosh.

Hahaha ... No problem.
Ahem *clears throat* I assume you aren't too familiar with certain aspects of colloquial slang in the north east! That's why I'm laughing. As a 'nosh' is a euphemism of its very own up here. ... A 'nosh' has a statistically high chance of occuring on our wedding night but preferably privately! Laugh out loadLaugh out loadLaugh out load

Im_Ryan forum member
21-02-2014, 10:44 AM
(21-02-2014 09:03 AM)Monster_Riffs Wrote:  ...
2. Machiavelli is a complete shit by the sounds of it. Obviously an intensely intelligent person though. I would like to read the stuff he wrote that the Catholics banned.

The Prince won't take you long. It's short and a bit dry but worth it.

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
21-02-2014, 10:50 AM
(21-02-2014 10:44 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(21-02-2014 09:03 AM)Monster_Riffs Wrote:  ...
2. Machiavelli is a complete shit by the sounds of it. Obviously an intensely intelligent person though. I would like to read the stuff he wrote that the Catholics banned.

The Prince won't take you long. It's short and a bit dry but worth it.

Thanks mate, I'll pick that up Thumbsup

Im_Ryan forum member