Humanism Higher Standards

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-09-2017, 04:51 AM (This post was last modified: 02-09-2017 05:02 AM by Oaken.)
Humanism Higher Standards
My background in Christianity saw me having to live in the mud of consistent corruption, nepotism, narcissism and shady dealings. (A long post that ends well)

EXAMPLE ONE
When I went to Bible college we were forced to double tithe to the college, as well as pay full tuition. Poor students were kicked to the streets (even though it promised that no student would be turned away who could not pay). Well, I later ran into the Dean of the same Bible school when he tried to hide an expensive yacht, late at night, in the next state over!!! (I worked at the boat storage place) When I saw him I was actually excited to see him. I greeted him cheerfully but he instantly cut me off. He demanded that we get down to business and ordered me not to tell anyone that he was storing his big yacht there. The next day my boss called me into work and asked what happened the night before. He said that the Dean had told him to fire me and threatened to have the place shut down if we told anyone he was hiding his big, expensive yacht there. My boss told him to come pick up his yacht and hung up on him. When I called up the college to report that the Dean was hiding an expensive yacht in my state they told me that GOD hired him for the job and that only GOD could fire him.

EXAMPLE TWO

At another Church I walked in while the senior pastor was embezzling money to buy real estate and his face went white for a moment, then he demanded to know what I had heard. I was quite naive then and didn't know anything about churches and finances. He didn't believe me and within a week I was the enemy of the church and within a month I was homeless and a pariah in the valley. He called up pastors and told them I was a pervert and that they were to call HIM if I dared show up at their church. (Years later he was finally caught embezzling money...and it turned out that 25 people had sent in papers and proof and official complaints that the money was being spent on real estate for a business the pastor owned.) He was fired for stealing over $700,000 but never prosecuted.

OTHER EXAMPLES
A church less than an hour away closed up due to massive embezzling and re-opened under a different name. And I helped bring a pastor to public light who hired his family to handle the finances and was writing and spending church checks out of state. No charges were filed and members were threatened they would be kicked out of they demanded justice. The church closed and re-opened under a different name.

THE HUMANIST ALTERNATIVE
So, I said all that to say that I find it quite refreshing to see the standards at the Humanist group I am supporting be so very much higher. I doubt there is a single church in America that has standards as high as BrighterBrains.org. I am still new to supporting Atheist/Humanist groups and looking to support projects and groups all over the world. I couldn't help but notice the clear and public standards against corruption.

I find it laughable now that the Christian church actually has people convinced that it is a place of morality. In my experience it was anything but.

Can't tell you how refreshing it is to experience the higher standards of Humanism and Atheism. Way less pretension, way less power mad people and (from what I can see so far) way less corruption.

[Image: tumblr_ovneuoO7xi1wa5gvxo1_1280.png]

I hope it is OK to post a link to the place here. (Let me know of groups you support too!)

Brighter Brains

Informed by science. Inspired by art. Motivated by compassion.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Oaken's post
21-09-2017, 04:29 PM
RE: Humanism Higher Standards
(02-09-2017 04:51 AM)Oaken Wrote:  My background in Christianity saw me having to live in the mud of consistent corruption, nepotism, narcissism and shady dealings. (A long post that ends well)

EXAMPLE ONE
When I went to Bible college we were forced to double tithe to the college, as well as pay full tuition. Poor students were kicked to the streets (even though it promised that no student would be turned away who could not pay). Well, I later ran into the Dean of the same Bible school when he tried to hide an expensive yacht, late at night, in the next state over!!! (I worked at the boat storage place) When I saw him I was actually excited to see him. I greeted him cheerfully but he instantly cut me off. He demanded that we get down to business and ordered me not to tell anyone that he was storing his big yacht there. The next day my boss called me into work and asked what happened the night before. He said that the Dean had told him to fire me and threatened to have the place shut down if we told anyone he was hiding his big, expensive yacht there. My boss told him to come pick up his yacht and hung up on him. When I called up the college to report that the Dean was hiding an expensive yacht in my state they told me that GOD hired him for the job and that only GOD could fire him.

EXAMPLE TWO

At another Church I walked in while the senior pastor was embezzling money to buy real estate and his face went white for a moment, then he demanded to know what I had heard. I was quite naive then and didn't know anything about churches and finances. He didn't believe me and within a week I was the enemy of the church and within a month I was homeless and a pariah in the valley. He called up pastors and told them I was a pervert and that they were to call HIM if I dared show up at their church. (Years later he was finally caught embezzling money...and it turned out that 25 people had sent in papers and proof and official complaints that the money was being spent on real estate for a business the pastor owned.) He was fired for stealing over $700,000 but never prosecuted.

OTHER EXAMPLES
A church less than an hour away closed up due to massive embezzling and re-opened under a different name. And I helped bring a pastor to public light who hired his family to handle the finances and was writing and spending church checks out of state. No charges were filed and members were threatened they would be kicked out of they demanded justice. The church closed and re-opened under a different name.

THE HUMANIST ALTERNATIVE
So, I said all that to say that I find it quite refreshing to see the standards at the Humanist group I am supporting be so very much higher. I doubt there is a single church in America that has standards as high as BrighterBrains.org. I am still new to supporting Atheist/Humanist groups and looking to support projects and groups all over the world. I couldn't help but notice the clear and public standards against corruption.

I find it laughable now that the Christian church actually has people convinced that it is a place of morality. In my experience it was anything but.

Can't tell you how refreshing it is to experience the higher standards of Humanism and Atheism. Way less pretension, way less power mad people and (from what I can see so far) way less corruption.

[Image: tumblr_ovneuoO7xi1wa5gvxo1_1280.png]

I hope it is OK to post a link to the place here. (Let me know of groups you support too!)

Brighter Brains

Glad to see things are working out for you now. I am the complete opposite. I suffered immeasurably my whole life long at the hands of power hungry and controlling atheists for the most part (I myself being raised atheist). It didn't stop them from being awful people. Strangely, I made it out ok and I'm still an atheist, simply because it's the only thing that makes sense. Cool
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes wendigo's post
21-09-2017, 05:26 PM
(02-09-2017 04:51 AM)Oaken Wrote:  THE HUMANIST ALTERNATIVE

Except in regards to humanism they're not standards at all. They're more like a rule of thumb, a decretive frill, non-binding, whose member's lack any moral authority.

You attend a humanist gathering not to elevate your moral life, or bring to light your moral transgression, or to resolve moral conflicts in your community, but to pat yourself on the back, about how good your are. If you're looking for the epitome of cringe, attend your local humanist gathering.

No one's likely to ever tell you "how unhumanist you are" when you behave badly. Because even humanist know it doesn't really matter. Craig Stephen Hicks was a humanist, but it was so irrelevant no one even wondered about it's impotency.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
21-09-2017, 06:37 PM
(21-09-2017 05:26 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(02-09-2017 04:51 AM)Oaken Wrote:  THE HUMANIST ALTERNATIVE

Except in regards to humanism they're not standards at all. They're more like a rule of thumb, a decretive frill, non-binding, whose member's lack any moral authority.

You attend a humanist gathering not to elevate your moral life, or bring to light your moral transgression, or to resolve moral conflicts in your community, but to pat yourself on the back, about how good your are. If you're looking for the epitome of cringe, attend your local humanist gathering.

No one's likely to ever tell you "how unhumanist you are" when you behave badly. Because even humanist know it doesn't really matter. Craig Stephen Hicks was a humanist, but it was so irrelevant no one even wondered about it's impotency.

> Pray tell us, when was the last time you attended a humanist or atheist convention and how any such gatherings have you attended during your lifetime? Dodgy
[+] 2 users Like Gwaithmir's post
21-09-2017, 08:47 PM
(21-09-2017 06:37 PM)Gwaithmir Wrote:  > Pray tell us, when was the last time you attended a humanist or atheist convention and how any such gatherings have you attended during your lifetime? Dodgy

About 7 or 10 or so when I was in my godless twenties, when I use to think the Center for Inquiry was cool. I still get the occasional meetup invites, which usually involves lunch at olive garden, and random book clubs.

You'd be hard pressed to find a more self-congratulatory bunch.

How many have you attended? Are you an active member of your local humanist group? If so, let's here about your experience.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
21-09-2017, 09:17 PM
(21-09-2017 08:47 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  ...
You'd be hard pressed to find a more self-congratulatory bunch.

And what's the problem with being self-congratulatory?

Does that trigger you in some way?

Consider

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
21-09-2017, 09:27 PM
(21-09-2017 09:17 PM)DLJ Wrote:  And what's the problem with being self-congratulatory?

Does that trigger you in some way?

Consider

Nah, it's just cringey.

Though other atheists, reluctant to classify themselves as humanist might not admit it, I'm sure they find it almost as corny as I do, but are more polite about it.

But hey, corny doesn't harm anybody; it's like impotence.

[+] 1 user Likes Tomasia's post
21-09-2017, 09:54 PM
I'm a current member of my local humanist group. Due to schedule conflicts I'm not a regular at the meeting, but I do get out to a few every year. Fairly consistent format: A bit of socializing before the meeting, then a quick run through association business and upcoming events, then a guest speaker. Rather meeting-like, actually. We've got outreach such as information tables at festivals and other events; we have a charity of the month; we've even had a Bible study group.

I'm sorry, but your beliefs are much too silly to take seriously. Got anything else we can discuss?
[+] 1 user Likes Astreja's post
21-09-2017, 10:00 PM
Tomasia,

Oaken regrets to inform you that he does not debate or engage in conversation with religious people while on this site. In lieu of conversation he offers you this picture of a kitten.

[Image: 01-kitten-cuteness-1.jpg]

Informed by science. Inspired by art. Motivated by compassion.
[+] 7 users Like Oaken's post
21-09-2017, 10:55 PM
Must... resist... kitten...

...dawww! Heart

I'm sorry, but your beliefs are much too silly to take seriously. Got anything else we can discuss?
[+] 2 users Like Astreja's post