Humanist Approach to the Capital Punishment

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-05-2014, 10:36 AM
Humanist Approach to the Capital Punishment
http://www.ncadp.org/blog/entry/guest-po...punishment

Good article with some interesting links. The evidence against this barbarity is overwhelming and a good portion of the country has already moved to locally ban it.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Revenant77x's post
27-05-2014, 10:41 AM
RE: Humanist Approach to the Capital Punishment
(27-05-2014 10:36 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  http://www.ncadp.org/blog/entry/guest-po...punishment

Good article with some interesting links. The evidence against this barbarity is overwhelming and a good portion of the country has already moved to locally ban it.

Yes. I'd like to see the death penalty out the window. But good luck with that. We sure do love our killin people. Thumbsup

"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use." Soren Kierkegaard
27-05-2014, 10:45 AM
Yabut I think that we should have summarily executed every one of the bankers that fucked up the economy in '08. IDK, there's just people that need killin.

If bullshit were music some people would be a brass band.
[+] 2 users Like War Horse's post
27-05-2014, 10:48 AM
(27-05-2014 10:45 AM)War Horse Wrote:  Yabut I think that we should have summarily executed every one of the bankers that fucked up the economy in '08. IDK, there's just people that need killin.

I don't disagree that some people might deserve death, but I don't think the state should have that power. It is not worth the cost, both human and monetarily.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 5 users Like Revenant77x's post
27-05-2014, 11:31 AM
(27-05-2014 10:48 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  I don't disagree that some people might deserve death, but I don't think the state should have that power.

So who should have that power?

“The reason people use a crucifix against vampires is because vampires are allergic to bullshit.” ― Richard Pryor
[+] 1 user Likes djkamilo's post
27-05-2014, 11:34 AM
(27-05-2014 11:31 AM)djkamilo Wrote:  
(27-05-2014 10:48 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  I don't disagree that some people might deserve death, but I don't think the state should have that power.

So who should have that power?

An individual should have control over their own life other than that I don't think anyone should have the authority to kill someone else. Notable exceptions are removing someone from life support when there is no chance of recovery and other right to die issues.

[+] 2 users Like Revenant77x's post
27-05-2014, 11:41 AM
(27-05-2014 11:34 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(27-05-2014 11:31 AM)djkamilo Wrote:  So who should have that power?

An individual should have control over their own life

Yeah, but by that same premise, if you imprison someone for life, they no longer have control over it.

Tho, I agree that the legal system leaves a lot to be desired and if someone claims to be innocent, then the death penalty should be off the table.

If bullshit were music some people would be a brass band.
27-05-2014, 11:42 AM
(27-05-2014 11:34 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  An individual should have control over their own life other than that I don't think anyone should have the authority to kill someone else. Notable exceptions are removing someone from life support when there is no chance of recovery and other right to die issues.

What about personal and societal defense?

“The reason people use a crucifix against vampires is because vampires are allergic to bullshit.” ― Richard Pryor
27-05-2014, 12:02 PM
(27-05-2014 11:42 AM)djkamilo Wrote:  
(27-05-2014 11:34 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  An individual should have control over their own life other than that I don't think anyone should have the authority to kill someone else. Notable exceptions are removing someone from life support when there is no chance of recovery and other right to die issues.

What about personal and societal defense?

If you are asking whether I am a pacifist? The answer is no I think you have a right to defend yourself from aggression. War is messy but sometimes necessary, however I think the drone attacks are probably murder.

[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post
27-05-2014, 12:05 PM
(27-05-2014 11:41 AM)War Horse Wrote:  
(27-05-2014 11:34 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  An individual should have control over their own life

Yeah, but by that same premise, if you imprison someone for life, they no longer have control over it.

Tho, I agree that the legal system leaves a lot to be desired and if someone claims to be innocent, then the death penalty should be off the table.

I meant that more in the right to die sense rather than in the absolute freedom of all things. I am not a huge fan of locking people up and throwing away the key. Rehabilitation is a better approach for most offenders. There are a few psychopaths that are unreachable but I don't think the system should be designed around the exceptions rather than the rule.

[+] 5 users Like Revenant77x's post