Humanist Approach to the Capital Punishment

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-06-2014, 11:43 PM
RE: Humanist Approach to the Capital Punishment
(16-06-2014 11:31 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  That would be different, as I do support suicide, the right for someone to end their own life. If a person is sentenced to life in prison without parole, and they choose of their own volition to end their life, so be it; but it's not up to the courts or other humans to decide that.

I suppose you're right. If one knew that admitting guilt would mean death and did it anyway they would essentially be committing suicide, albeit not by their own hand. But that's where I am with it, because there are those kinds of psychopaths out there who have admitted their guilt and even those who will readily admit their lack of remorse and/or desire to even be rehabilitated. In my mind it's more humane to simply end the pitiful existence that they will be forced to endure and at the same time ensure that they will never be able to cause harm to another innocent person again.

"It's a most distressing affliction to have a sentimental heart and a skeptical mind.”
― نجيب محفوظ, Sugar Street
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-06-2014, 12:37 AM
(16-06-2014 11:43 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(16-06-2014 11:31 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  That would be different, as I do support suicide, the right for someone to end their own life. If a person is sentenced to life in prison without parole, and they choose of their own volition to end their life, so be it; but it's not up to the courts or other humans to decide that.

I suppose you're right. If one knew that admitting guilt would mean death and did it anyway they would essentially be committing suicide, albeit not by their own hand. But that's where I am with it, because there are those kinds of psychopaths out there who have admitted their guilt and even those who will readily admit their lack of remorse and/or desire to even be rehabilitated. In my mind it's more humane to simply end the pitiful existence that they will be forced to endure and at the same time ensure that they will never be able to cause harm to another innocent person again.

The problem is with the intent. Capitol punishment as it is implemented now, is intended to both curb crime through fear (which it utterly fails to do) and to institute retribution at the hands of the state (revenge, nothing more). It is state sanctioned murder and retribution, which implicates us all in the killing of another (sometimes innocent) human by proxy.

If however the person in question chooses to end their own life, and they can find someone willing and able to assist them in ending their own life, that is far different. That's between the person ending their life, and the burden the assistant chooses to shoulder upon themselves (which can be a heavy burden even when shouldered willing, see KC's thread about the injured cat). The rest of society at large does not have a hand in murder, but rather in enabling another citizen's choice (even if they happen to be a convicted felon in prison).

However even if you were to institute this in prisons, I would still be very careful about it being abused. I can imagine anything from someone suffering from a bought of depression, to institutionalized mistreatment to push prisons towards suicide, and other possible abuses if even this were to be implemented.

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
28-06-2014, 03:39 AM
As an atheist, I oppose the death penalty since I see it as an infinite punishment.
28-06-2014, 09:11 PM
(28-06-2014 03:39 AM)gawd Wrote:  As an atheist, I oppose the death penalty since I see it as an infinite punishment.

Way to disregard the unfair infinite death of the victim, and not considering potential future victims...

It's not quite that simple.

"It's a most distressing affliction to have a sentimental heart and a skeptical mind.”
― نجيب محفوظ, Sugar Street
28-06-2014, 09:20 PM
Welcome to the forum, gawd.

Bless you.

Drinking Beverage

01-08-2014, 02:12 PM (This post was last modified: 01-08-2014 02:27 PM by isNaN.)
I don't agree with the death penalty, nor with assisted suicide(in prison).
Either the convict is guilty, in which case I want them to have to live with what they have done and hopefully suffer, instead of death, which is the easy way out, or they are innocent(in which case they might consider suicide because they suffer under depression) and they should have the opportunity to gain their freedom.
01-08-2014, 03:00 PM
(01-08-2014 02:12 PM)isNaN Wrote:  and hopefully suffer, instead of death, which is the easy way out

Ja... not keen on that. Whatever they've done, they're still humans and should be treated with some degree of dignity.

I know, the poor victims, right? But cruelty to the perpetrator does not do anything, that I can see, to help the victim or make them feel better.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
01-08-2014, 03:35 PM
(01-08-2014 03:00 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(01-08-2014 02:12 PM)isNaN Wrote:  and hopefully suffer, instead of death, which is the easy way out

Ja... not keen on that. Whatever they've done, they're still humans and should be treated with some degree of dignity.

I know, the poor victims, right? But cruelty to the perpetrator does not do anything, that I can see, to help the victim or make them feel better.

What I meant to say is that I want them to face up to what they have done, rather than committing suicide.

Fuck Israeli state and Hamas. Fuck their war.

Maryam Namazie

SynneFree@Flickr
01-08-2014, 03:46 PM
(01-08-2014 03:35 PM)isNaN Wrote:  What I meant to say is that I want them to face up to what they have done, rather than committing suicide.

Death penalty is a bit of a far way from committing suicide Wink I get what you're saying. Thing is, those who're sensitive enough to feel shit about it will do so without legal interference, and those who aren't, won't, and there's nothing much to be done about that.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
01-08-2014, 04:00 PM
As fun as it is to be sadistic and wish for the pain of others, it serves little purpose and really just brings unnecessary negativity into our lives (IMO). Whether they die immediately or suffer a long existence, the point is you don't want them around any more. Figuring out the most efficient way to accomplish that would be a good direction.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.