Humanist Approach to the Capital Punishment

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-05-2014, 03:16 PM
RE: Humanist Approach to the Capital Punishment
I go back and forth on this one because it's a difficult issue.

There are people in this world who I believe absolutely deserve to have their lives taken away. They would be the most violent and heinous criminals. It wouldn't bother me in the least for these people to be executed nor would it bother me if they suffered on the way to their graves. In an ideal world, we would be 100% sure of their guilt, we wouldn't need tons of appeals that add so much expense, and these people would simply be removed from our lives.

The reason wouldn't be "an eye for an eye" as mentioned in the article nor would it be to act as a deterrent. The reason would be public safety. People like serial killers or mass murderers are beyond rehabilitation. We would be naive and stupid to think they could ever again be released into the general public as changed people. I'm not saying that this is true for all violent criminals, but I'm saying some are so bad that it's a foregone conclusion that they won't ever change.

The problem is the world isn't ideal. There isn't always 100% certainty of guilt. Or we may think we have 100% certainty, but mistakes are made and innocent people are convicted anyway. This is why, in practice, we can't do away with the extensive and expensive appeals process. And there is potential for abuse where someone with power and/or an agenda can manipulate evidence and send someone they simply dislike to death row.

That is why I can't fully commit to being in favor of the death penalty in general even for the most violent criminals. But the alternative is scary. Life in prison doesn't always turn out to mean someone spending every last one of their days behind bars. Sometimes they are released and sometimes they escape. That's why I can't fully commit to being against the death penalty either. Some people should never again be among the public.

Like I said, it's a difficult issue. I suppose I tend to lean toward being against the death penalty because it seems like the better alternative overall. Death is final. If an innocent person is executed and later evidence demonstrates the innocence, there is no way to undo death.

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Impulse's post
28-05-2014, 08:40 AM
(27-05-2014 11:31 AM)djkamilo Wrote:  
(27-05-2014 10:48 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  I don't disagree that some people might deserve death, but I don't think the state should have that power.

So who should have that power?

Me. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
28-05-2014, 09:07 AM
Make capital punishment voluntary.

If given the choice between (1) life without parole in a barracks in the Alaskan wilderness (Solzhenitsyn’s One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich comes to mind) and (2) short acting anesthesia followed by intravenous potassium chloride, I would pick #2 in a second. In order to make the death penalty attractive to really bad people, the alternative should be worse than death. I would consider outlawing voluntary death if there was a guarantee that murderers and rapists were going to spend the rest of their lives in Alaska without television, libraries and Christian missionaries.
[+] 4 users Like Walter's post
28-05-2014, 09:09 AM
(28-05-2014 09:07 AM)Walter Wrote:  Make capital punishment voluntary.

If given the choice between (1) life without parole in a barracks in the Alaskan wilderness (Solzhenitsyn’s One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich comes to mind) and (2) short acting anesthesia followed by intravenous potassium chloride, I would pick #2 in a second. In order to make the death penalty attractive to really bad people, the alternative should be worse than death. I would consider outlawing voluntary death if there was a guarantee that murderers and rapists were going to spend the rest of their lives in Alaska without television, libraries and Christian missionaries.

[Image: 8th-amendment-picture-jpg.jpg]

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 6 users Like Revenant77x's post
28-05-2014, 09:13 AM
America might benefit from introducing the games. Some good hand to hand combat and criminals torn apart by leopards may slake their thirst for violence and blood.

Then perhaps they could make some decent movies in Hollywood.

Recently suffered loss of intelligence. Had little to begin with! I should not miss it.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
28-05-2014, 09:16 AM
(28-05-2014 09:09 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  [Image: 8th-amendment-picture-jpg.jpg]

Eighth Ammendment, whats that?

“The reason people use a crucifix against vampires is because vampires are allergic to bullshit.” ― Richard Pryor
28-05-2014, 09:27 AM
(28-05-2014 09:16 AM)djkamilo Wrote:  
(28-05-2014 09:09 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  [Image: 8th-amendment-picture-jpg.jpg]

Eighth Ammendment, whats that?

The reason the death penalty will be outlawed again sooner or later.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post
28-05-2014, 10:04 AM
(28-05-2014 09:27 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(28-05-2014 09:16 AM)djkamilo Wrote:  Eighth Ammendment, whats that?

The reason the death penalty will be outlawed again sooner or later.

Yabut, as War Horse said, "IDK, there's just people that need killin."

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
28-05-2014, 10:14 AM
(28-05-2014 10:04 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(28-05-2014 09:27 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  The reason the death penalty will be outlawed again sooner or later.

Yabut, as War Horse said, "IDK, there's just people that need killin."

Your state, and mine as well, have already decided that those people are few and far between enough to not base their system off.

28-05-2014, 10:16 AM
Such as non believers and atheists?

Recently suffered loss of intelligence. Had little to begin with! I should not miss it.