Humanists and Freethinkers clubs?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-10-2014, 05:56 PM (This post was last modified: 13-10-2014 06:01 PM by Shadow Fox.)
RE: Humanists and Freethinkers clubs?
I decided to go, but I still think its a trap.

Still iffy about where it is meeting...just feels...off. Everything on the club says atheist, free thinker and humanist and all that.

...Just an very uncomfortable and awkward place for the churchs worst enemies to be meeting in.

....I hope this ain't some sort of hell fire preacher bible ambush.. Sad

That which can Never be proven true is false. - A Philosophical Razor
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-10-2014, 10:25 PM
Oh, if you are anticipating for it to be atheist, then I would say your expectations aren't likely to be met.

There are countless Humanist/Freethinker meeting groups that aren't atheist in nature or membership. That's a big reason why people created the concepts of atheist+ opposed to just considering themselves apart of humanist groups. Humanists still tend to have various forms of religious/"spiritual" new age believing members and founders of leaders.

The man that started the one I went to in the past was a fan of the Integral theory which I think is just over the borderline of Woo.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
13-10-2014, 10:31 PM
They have a lot of tags for their group. Free thinker, Humanist is in the name, but other tags for it fall under Atheist, Anti Theist etc.

I will go and hope they are my kind of people. lol.

14-10-2014, 04:40 AM
I'd try one! Let us know how it goes Smile

Atheism is the only way to truly be free from sin.
18-10-2014, 04:58 PM
It went pretty well. Only 9 people there which was disappointing. I was hoping for at least 20 to be there.

All of them were old people and I was the youngest by at least 10 years. The presentation was done by an ex psycho therapist, which was on the Milgram experiments and the research into the psychology for obedience to authority.

Quote interesting.

They are also going to take a trip to a Buddhist Temple on Mt. Shasta somewhere next Saturday. I am thinking of joining in on that.

19-10-2014, 07:58 AM
I would hope for a bigger group, too. But it still seems worthwhile, especially for field trips Big Grin

Atheism is the only way to truly be free from sin.
[+] 1 user Likes Colourcraze's post