Humanity and life on this planet - The point of no return.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-01-2017, 07:29 PM
Humanity and life on this planet - The point of no return.
A simple question. What signs would you see, or believe, as bringing society, humanity and potentially all life on the planet, as past the point of no return, irreversible damage and ultimately collapse.

This could be the ecosystem, society worldwide, economic or whatever comes to mind.

What would you consider to be the breaking points? Is it inevitable or do you think the resilience and adaptivity of humans could see us continue, maybe not on this planet but others.

Pollution, climate change, extinction of species, the death of marine life in the oceans, a nuclear exchange?

How long do you think we can continue on our current course?

I feel so much, and yet I feel nothing.
I am a rock, I am the sky, the birds and the trees and everything beyond.
I am the wind, in the fields in which I roar. I am the water, in which I drown.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-01-2017, 07:51 PM
RE: Humanity and life on this planet - The point of no return.
We've already passed it. Over-population. Environmental devastation. Sixth mass extinction. Polluted water supplies. Irreparable social fragmentation. Out of control technology.

It obviously happens to every alien species that reaches a certain point or we would have witnessed evidence of their existence.

We probably have somewhere between 2 and 15 years left.

I feel like we've jumped out off a building and everyone around me is saying don't worry we'll never hit the ground.
[+] 2 users Like I'mFred's post
22-01-2017, 07:54 PM
(22-01-2017 07:51 PM)ImFred Wrote:  We probably have somewhere between 2 and 15 years left.

Nah, we'll be fine. Just start building that fallout shelter, and stock up on oxygen tanks.

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
[+] 1 user Likes cactus's post
22-01-2017, 11:13 PM
Nuclear exchange is an obvious one for our society and likely our species. Life will likely carry on despite us.

Climate, ecology and sociology are all blurrier. Most of those likely have solutions though the implementation could be impressive.

Elelection 2016 conclusively answered the Fermi paradox. What self-respecting space-faring race is going to want to contact that?!?

All in all I don't expect it all to end in a collapse. We are one of a long chain of complex behaviours, each one emerging from the one below and each step incapable of understanding the steps above. Some entertaining science fiction has been written on the topic but I doubt that anybody has a real clue about what's going to happen next.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
22-01-2017, 11:19 PM
Mankind is a wicked beast with a penchant for survival. Look how close to the surface the violence still is. We'll be around for many millennia, for all that's worth.
22-01-2017, 11:27 PM
I expect we have gone past the tipping point on climate change. There will be dire effects that are only now manifesting.
The North Polar cap is shrinking and will continue to do so, glaciers are melting at an accelerating rate, weather patterns are becoming increasingly chaotic.

I predict a sudden collapse of glaciers and ice sheets in the not too distant future with devastating effects on sea level which will alter ocean currents which will alter weather patterns.

It's going to cause famine and war.

The only positive thing will be being able to say "We fucking told you so" to the fuckhead science deniers who claim that anthropogenic climate change isn't a thing.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Chas's post
22-01-2017, 11:44 PM
If there's one thing I learned from thousands of years of literature, is people are fucked up.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
23-01-2017, 08:00 AM
I think we are on that path already.
But I agree w/ Fireball - humans will be here for many, many more years. Granted, they won't be comfortable years...

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu."

[Image: parodia-michal-aniol-flying-spaghetti-monster.jpg]
23-01-2017, 08:14 AM
(22-01-2017 11:27 PM)Chas Wrote:  I expect we have gone past the tipping point on climate change. There will be dire effects that are only now manifesting.
The North Polar cap is shrinking and will continue to do so, glaciers are melting at an accelerating rate, weather patterns are becoming increasingly chaotic.

I predict a sudden collapse of glaciers and ice sheets in the not too distant future with devastating effects on sea level which will alter ocean currents which will alter weather patterns.

It's going to cause famine and war.

The only positive thing will be being able to say "We fucking told you so" to the fuckhead science deniers who claim that anthropogenic climate change isn't a thing.
THIS!!

If right-wing whackjobs think mass migration and illegal immigration is bad now, just give it a decade. They - and we - ain't seen nothing yet.
23-01-2017, 08:18 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if Trump nuked Korea and/or the middle east.

That should change the course of things.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man