Humans are Inherently Stupid

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-03-2013, 07:18 PM
RE: Humans are Inherently Stupid
For the record, I see my apparent contradiction there at the end. It was the best way I could think to word it. Undecided

Just goes to show: we're all stupid. Big Grin

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Misanthropik's post
29-03-2013, 07:53 PM
(29-03-2013 07:01 PM)Misanthropik Wrote:  
(29-03-2013 01:40 PM)Ghost Wrote:  I don't believe anyone that tells me that humans are inherently stupid because they've just told me that they are stupid.

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt

Humans are inherently stupid. Including those who are just less-stupid enough to pick up on it. Drinking Beverage

What you're employing is a tu quoque argument. I highly doubt you'd dismiss a murderer's claim that murder is wrong.

With that said; Merriam Webster defines "stupid" thusly:

a: slow of mind : obtuse

b: given to unintelligent decisions or acts : acting in an unintelligent or careless manner

c: lacking intelligence or reason : brutish

I think we can all agree that, inherently, people display these characteristics. Just look at a child who knows fuck-all about the world and interacts with it accordingly.

But we can - at least in part - remedy those qualities as we mature. Cool So, inherently? Yes. Permanently? Less so. (But still yes)

If I was a judge I would't dismiss the murderer on special pleading of sudden awareness not even if he was intrinsically obtuse formerly, but suddenly found Jesus post hoc..........
Find all posts by this user
29-03-2013, 08:00 PM
(29-03-2013 07:53 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  
(29-03-2013 07:01 PM)Misanthropik Wrote:  Humans are inherently stupid. Including those who are just less-stupid enough to pick up on it. Drinking Beverage

What you're employing is a tu quoque argument. I highly doubt you'd dismiss a murderer's claim that murder is wrong.

With that said; Merriam Webster defines "stupid" thusly:

a: slow of mind : obtuse

b: given to unintelligent decisions or acts : acting in an unintelligent or careless manner

c: lacking intelligence or reason : brutish

I think we can all agree that, inherently, people display these characteristics. Just look at a child who knows fuck-all about the world and interacts with it accordingly.

But we can - at least in part - remedy those qualities as we mature. Cool So, inherently? Yes. Permanently? Less so. (But still yes)

If I was a judge I would't dismiss the murderer on special pleading of sudden awareness not even if he was intrinsically obtuse formerly, but suddenly found Jesus post hoc..........

What I mean is dismiss his claim that "murder is wrong".

29-03-2013, 09:29 PM
Hey, Misanthrope.

Quote:Humans are inherently stupid.

Ergo, you are stupid.

So you'll excuse me if I choose not to take the counsel of a self-confessed stupid person Cool

Hey, Luminon.

Quote:A person is clever. People are stupid.

Well, TTA has people. So according to you, we're all stupid. You included.

So you'll excuse me if I choose not to take the counsel of a self-confessed stupid person Cool

For the record,

Just in case people aren't picking up what I'm putting down. If stupidity is a trait inherent to humans, that means it's universal. All humans would be stupid. Including the person making that claim. So why would anyone put stock into what a stupid person has to say?

The alternative is to assume that humans are inherently smart. I'd believe someone that said that because clearly, they'd be smart Big Grin

I find that beginning from the common understanding that we are all inherently smart is both far more fulfilling and far more productive. It is so much easier to respect other people when you assume that they are smart.

Imagine that. Respecting everyone. What a novel idea.

Matt
[+] 1 user Likes Ghost's post
29-03-2013, 11:00 PM
...Or you can adhere to a fallacy; that's cool. Drinking Beverage

[+] 1 user Likes Misanthropik's post
29-03-2013, 11:34 PM
"The only true wisdom is knowing that you know nothing."

-Socrates

Upon recognition that humans are morons, the recognizer transcends the rest of the morons, because they know not yet that they are morons.

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
[+] 1 user Likes Buddy Christ's post
30-03-2013, 02:42 AM
(29-03-2013 01:40 PM)Ghost Wrote:  I don't believe anyone that tells me that humans are inherently stupid because they've just told me that they are stupid.

Not everyone thinks humans are inherently stupid. The average economist thinks that homo economicus is rational and self-interested, and will actually use resources to his or her greatest benefit. The average psychologist, however, thinks that humans are driven by cognitive dissonance and bias and will waste resources protecting his or her fragile ego. I'm with the psychologists, even though economic models that rely on human rationality are generally correct. I guess humans are... complicated.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
30-03-2013, 03:06 AM
Humans are Inherently Stupid
I prefer to think humans are inherently human.
[+] 1 user Likes Cardinal Smurf's post
30-03-2013, 03:09 AM
(29-03-2013 09:29 PM)Ghost Wrote:  Hey, Misanthrope.

Quote:Humans are inherently stupid.

Ergo, you are stupid.

Hey, Luminon.

Quote:A person is clever. People are stupid.

Well, TTA has people. So according to you, we're all stupid. You included.

For the record,

Just in case people aren't picking up what I'm putting down. If stupidity is a trait inherent to humans, that means it's universal. All humans would be stupid. Including the person making that claim. So why would anyone put stock into what a stupid person has to say?

The alternative is to assume that humans are inherently smart. I'd believe someone that said that because clearly, they'd be smart Big Grin

I find that beginning from the common understanding that we are all inherently smart is both far more fulfilling and far more productive. It is so much easier to respect other people when you assume that they are smart.

Imagine that. Respecting everyone. What a novel idea.

Matt

Naaaah!

That's just stooooopid.

Dodgy

30-03-2013, 04:44 AM
I can respect you, Ghost.

But everybody? Nah. One never sees the whole person, and if one shows me his ass, Imma give it the boot.

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]