Humans are guilty of existing

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-03-2014, 08:49 AM
RE: Humans are guilty of existing
(05-03-2014 06:24 AM)donotwant Wrote:  Is god good?

I think it is silly to give God the label "good" or "evil". It is so subjective. You might think God evil because He allows hang nails to happen. I might think God is good because He allowed the SeaHawks to win the Superbowl.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-03-2014, 08:53 AM
(05-03-2014 08:49 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(05-03-2014 06:24 AM)donotwant Wrote:  Is god good?

I think it is silly to give God the label "good" or "evil". It is so subjective. You might think God evil because He allows hang nails to happen. I might think God is good because He allowed the SeaHawks to win the Superbowl.

So you believe in a god you have no idea which one?
05-03-2014, 09:03 AM
(05-03-2014 08:53 AM)donotwant Wrote:  
(05-03-2014 08:49 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  I think it is silly to give God the label "good" or "evil". It is so subjective. You might think God evil because He allows hang nails to happen. I might think God is good because He allowed the SeaHawks to win the Superbowl.

So you believe in a god you have no idea which one?

What does it matter what God I believe in?
05-03-2014, 09:05 AM
Because it's more relevant to discuss your god instead of one you don't believe in.
05-03-2014, 09:26 AM
(05-03-2014 09:05 AM)donotwant Wrote:  Because it's more relevant to discuss your god instead of one you don't believe in.

My beliefs are generally deistic, but I do believe God interferes from time to time. I think it is possible that any notion of God exists but no single notion is particularly likely.
05-03-2014, 09:47 AM
(04-03-2014 07:44 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  Suffering evolved because it is useful. Why should God want to prevent it?

Why would a self sufficient god - one that is not in any way lacking, have any wants at all?

Softly, softly, catchee monkey.
[+] 1 user Likes toadaly's post
05-03-2014, 08:38 PM
(05-03-2014 09:47 AM)toadaly Wrote:  
(04-03-2014 07:44 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  Suffering evolved because it is useful. Why should God want to prevent it?

Why would a self sufficient god - one that is not in any way lacking, have any wants at all?

It is one thing to want or need something to fulfill a deficiency and another thing want something to complete a goal or purpose.

If you don't have wings, you would want wings in order to fly over there. Your want of wings would stem from lacking an attribute. If you have wings and you want to fly over there, you fly over there. In this second case your want has nothing to do with being insufficient or lacking. In this second case your want is really the expression of a goal or purpose or the intention to commit a willful act.
06-03-2014, 02:23 AM
Humans are guilty of existing
So God wanted suffering to fulfill the purpose of his goal or purpose or the intention to commit to vehemently, willfully masturbating while watching his creation suffer.

Got it.

β€œIt is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”
― Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
08-03-2014, 05:01 PM
(01-03-2014 12:01 AM)Drich Wrote:  In your uncontainable zeal to report your new find you've forgotten the key purpose of appologetics. That is the exegesis and defense of scripture. Something your new discovery lacks. Maybe ask the person who has rattled your cage with this for some book chapter and verse.

(01-03-2014 12:16 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  I have a feeling you misunderstood the argument the theist was making.

As a theist, I will say that it is my opinion that diseases and natural disasters (like earth quakes and such) are not evil. The death of human beings is necessary because if death did not occur eventually the entire mass of the earth would be converted into a throbbing mass of human beings. Death requires a means....hence disease, accidents, natural disasters, old age, etc. Suffering exists because it provides utility. It wouldn't have evolved otherwise.

Most arguments I hear from atheists boil down to "there is too much death and suffering and that is what makes it evil"......which is silly.

I am most impressed. You both talk alot of sense!

~ Miss Meng
08-03-2014, 05:09 PM
(08-03-2014 05:01 PM)Miss Meng Wrote:  
(01-03-2014 12:01 AM)Drich Wrote:  In your uncontainable zeal to report your new find you've forgotten the key purpose of appologetics. That is the exegesis and defense of scripture. Something your new discovery lacks. Maybe ask the person who has rattled your cage with this for some book chapter and verse.

(01-03-2014 12:16 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  I have a feeling you misunderstood the argument the theist was making.

As a theist, I will say that it is my opinion that diseases and natural disasters (like earth quakes and such) are not evil. The death of human beings is necessary because if death did not occur eventually the entire mass of the earth would be converted into a throbbing mass of human beings. Death requires a means....hence disease, accidents, natural disasters, old age, etc. Suffering exists because it provides utility. It wouldn't have evolved otherwise.

Most arguments I hear from atheists boil down to "there is too much death and suffering and that is what makes it evil"......which is silly.

I am most impressed. You both talk alot of sense!

~ Miss Meng

LMAO. Yeeeeaaaah. Didn't see that coming. Facepalm

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 1 user Likes Stark Raving's post