Humans are not different.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-03-2017, 06:34 AM
RE: Humans are not different.
(31-03-2017 01:46 AM)JesseB Wrote:  
(31-03-2017 01:36 AM)Old Man Marsh Wrote:  Nobody is exactly the same as anyone else, but I do think that you anthrohomos have more in common with one another in the most subtle of ways than differences.

Hell, I gotta say it... "I'm different, just like everybody else!" -Everyone

There's no real contradiction there. Now if you'd said "I'm special, just like everybody else" there would have been a problem. Devaluing "special" makes it less than special.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
31-03-2017, 07:06 AM
(31-03-2017 12:58 AM)JesseB Wrote:  Yet when I leave my house I am treated by everyone I meet as if I were a thing, like some deformed monster that no one was kind enough to kill at birth.

Blink

Why?

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
Find all posts by this user
31-03-2017, 07:17 AM
(31-03-2017 12:58 AM)JesseB Wrote:  Yet when I leave my house I am treated by everyone I meet as if I were a thing, like some deformed monster that no one was kind enough to kill at birth.

That's horrible Heart
31-03-2017, 08:21 AM
(30-03-2017 04:42 PM)ImFred Wrote:  The main difference between me and other men is my penis is bigger.

Dodgy I'll be the judge of that.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
31-03-2017, 08:26 AM
(30-03-2017 04:42 PM)ImFred Wrote:  The main difference between me and other men is my penis is bigger.

Think you mixed your penis with your ego.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
31-03-2017, 08:51 AM
We can only beso different.
Whether it be socially or naturally, history tends to repeat itself and we all come from the Earth.
31-03-2017, 02:21 PM
(31-03-2017 06:34 AM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  
(31-03-2017 01:46 AM)JesseB Wrote:  Hell, I gotta say it... "I'm different, just like everybody else!" -Everyone

There's no real contradiction there. Now if you'd said "I'm special, just like everybody else" there would have been a problem. Devaluing "special" makes it less than special.

That was kinda my point, its a joke intentionally devaluing the word special (I used different instead of special, but in essence my meaning was similar regardless), it was a form of satire similar to pointing out the devaluation of the word special. I mean each snow flake is unique totally different right? Then how come to us (with the naked eye) all snow looks kinda the same lol

That's the point. People who focus on us all being different, and people who focus on us all being the same (if they don't acknowledge they are taking a very narrow view) are kinda missing the point in some ways. How do I put it, I often tell half truths to point out things people are forgetting to look at. It's not because I'm not aware of how complex reality is, it's really just to point out or highlight one specific aspect of that complex reality.

DLJ Wrote:And, yes, the principle of freedom of expression works both ways... if someone starts shit, better shit is the best counter-argument.
Big Grin
31-03-2017, 02:36 PM (This post was last modified: 31-03-2017 02:39 PM by JesseB.)
(31-03-2017 07:06 AM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  

Blink

Why?

If I had to guess, its a combination of factors.

People like to jump on bandwagons, they target anything/anyone different from them. I've rarely attended any school longer than 1-2 years since birth. So I was always new, always different. As a result my social skills are.... odd... I'm very good at forming fast superficial relationships for short periods of time, but because my general social skills, and history of abuse, and lack of experience in knowing anyone longer than a year, I have some..... deficiencies. People pick up on that, sooner or later I become the "other" even when I manage to fit in for short periods of time.

Add to that I'm never welcome among religious communities (which I keep getting forced to live in/around).

I get told things like, "you need to be more confident." This is bizarre and bullshit to me, its meaningless. First confidence is a bullshit useless metric for judging anything. I like to think I'm never any more, or less confident about anything than I should be. I strive to be that way. I would rather be judged for being factual, accurate, thoughtful, than for having some cult of personality trait of blusterous baseless confidence. People who think confidence is a viable method for determining the accuracy of a persons ideas, or justification for following them are kinda pathetic, it tells me they aren't thinking for themselves, they are simply latching onto whoever possesses the alpha male great ape body language. And that's how I look at it, a symptom left over from an evolutionary time when we were little different from our ape cousins. It's pathetic.

I also get told I talk to much.... I spent most of my childhood never speaking at all, then when someone would actually try to listen I'd talk soooo much they'd get sick of me lol. I guess I never figured out how to balance that well.

Add to that the physical traits, body language habits, general confusion and fear of other humans left behind from a pretty extremely abusive past are things people likely pick up on, even if they aren't fully aware of it. They get trained as children to pick up on these things and bully the runt the oddball the different. As such when I think about myself, I kinda like who I am. I'm proud of who I fucking am. I'd like others to see the value in who I am. When I think about how others perceive me, I picture some deformed creature, I try not to, but invariably their treatment of me ends up making me feel this way. I suppose since I've always been alone I passed the point of despair that would cause a suicide risk long ago. I recognize the darkness and pain inside, but I choose to laugh instead. There's nothing special about me, but that's really ok by me. I just want to live as comfortably as I can and have as much fun as I can before I die.

And if one day someone comes to love and accept me and wants me just for who I am? Well then I will be the most happy, most rich man who ever lived (at least in my own mind).

DLJ Wrote:And, yes, the principle of freedom of expression works both ways... if someone starts shit, better shit is the best counter-argument.
Big Grin
[+] 2 users Like JesseB's post
31-03-2017, 06:52 PM
Humans are not different.
(30-03-2017 03:18 PM)Brian37 Wrote:  Humans can argue all we want how different we are. The only real argument is about how we treat outsiders. Humans defend the social norms we are born into and to that end most of us have tunnel vision. The ultimate argument is merely about how humans fight and or cooperate over delegation of resources. The rest is artificial bullshit as to which each club, when we dominate and build temporary monuments to temporary success. It is not to say goodness does not exist, or to say with even all our entrenched differences we cant find overlap, we can. Our species problem has always been gravity on a giant ball, as to which most cannot see how unimportant and fragile and alike we are in reality. No matter our differences, we are the same.

I understand what you are saying and the sentiment behind it but I can't agree. People are so different. Even family members are very different. Some are nice and some are fucked up.
01-04-2017, 02:47 AM
(31-03-2017 06:52 PM)KUSA Wrote:  
(30-03-2017 03:18 PM)Brian37 Wrote:  Humans can argue all we want how different we are. The only real argument is about how we treat outsiders. Humans defend the social norms we are born into and to that end most of us have tunnel vision. The ultimate argument is merely about how humans fight and or cooperate over delegation of resources. The rest is artificial bullshit as to which each club, when we dominate and build temporary monuments to temporary success. It is not to say goodness does not exist, or to say with even all our entrenched differences we cant find overlap, we can. Our species problem has always been gravity on a giant ball, as to which most cannot see how unimportant and fragile and alike we are in reality. No matter our differences, we are the same.

I understand what you are saying and the sentiment behind it but I can't agree. People are so different. Even family members are very different. Some are nice and some are fucked up.

.... I'm pretty fucked up..... But I'll be nice to you too Smile

Big Grin