"Humans aren't capable of writing the Bible"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-06-2016, 07:31 AM
"Humans aren't capable of writing the Bible"
Any time I ask a theist how the know the Bible is God's direct word, the responses usually vary. One answer which I do see sometimes is this:

Quote:"Humans aren't capable of writing the Bible. It says in Jeremiah that the heart is decietful, and it says also in Romans chapter 8 that man is naturally at enminty with God."
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes SkepticalDaniel's post
01-06-2016, 08:22 AM
RE: "Humans aren't capable of writing the Bible"
Ah yes, using the bible to prove the bible.

Speaking of using the bible to prove things. This reminds me of a conversation I had with a co-worker last week. She's a pretty cool lady (must be 60 or so), but I know she was raised religious and just "believes". I don't think she has any idea that I'm an atheist. Here is how it went:
We were discussing time travel theories (Sci Fi stuff) and then she started talking about alternate realities. And then she said, "You know I do think there are alternate realities. Because in the bible, in Ezekial (can't remember if that is the book she said) it said he saw visions of 1000 warriors on the horizon (or some crap like that, can't remember the specifics)."

I promptly changed topic by saying, "Lawyers? Oh, I thought you said lawyers! Haha!"

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Adrianime's post
01-06-2016, 08:31 AM
[Image: break-the-cycle4.jpg]

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
[+] 5 users Like Commonsensei's post
01-06-2016, 08:35 AM
Stephen King would have done a better job of it with less mistakes, and it'd be more believable....

Besides which -the "God" character just comes off as a real asshole, making you lose interest.....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 2 users Like onlinebiker's post
01-06-2016, 08:58 AM
If humans are naturally deceitful then wouldn't it make sense that they intentionally made up the bible to lead others astray?

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 7 users Like unfogged's post
01-06-2016, 09:27 AM
They aren't... but I wonder if that person thinks they are capable of writing the Bhagavad Gita, Quran, Don Quixote, Tao Te Ching, The books of the dead, Norse Runes?

Also reminds me of a hockey quote where the eventual losing team said about the team that won it all, "no human can withstand that many hits" well... that guy was wrong.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
01-06-2016, 09:44 AM
(01-06-2016 07:31 AM)SkepticalDaniel Wrote:  Any time I ask a theist how the know the Bible is God's direct word, the responses usually vary. One answer which I do see sometimes is this:

Quote:"Humans aren't capable of writing the Bible. It says in Jeremiah that the heart is decietful, and it says also in Romans chapter 8 that man is naturally at enminty with God."

That is simply more circular bullshit. Quoting a holy book to prove a holy book is all it is and all religions pull this. It is garbage circular reasoning.

Humans did write the bible otherwise it wouldn't exist. It was written by delusional people sure, but to claim it was written by a God and not humans makes this character an either cruel or inept prick or he doesn't exist.

If you owned a bicycle factory would you higher a line boss who stuck several different assemble manuals with tons of revised versions and different labels, and said "You guys separate into different worker unions, fight over how to assemble the bicycles and murder each other".

The book IS a self deception but not because humans are flawed in their interpretations, but because the holy book itself is a mere reflection of the desires of the people that wrote them. Not because a real god exists.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-06-2016, 09:49 AM
Have you ever thought of making ONE THREAD titled
"SkepticalDaniels beginner questions" ? Facepalm

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 3 users Like Bucky Ball's post
01-06-2016, 10:27 AM
(01-06-2016 09:49 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Have you ever thought of making ONE THREAD titled
"SkepticalDaniels beginner questions" ? Facepalm
Haha, come to look at his profile, he only has like 3 times as many posts as threads started!

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
01-06-2016, 12:49 PM
This kind of argument reminds me of theists who say "We can't understand God, his ways are so much more complex than our ways, like the way we must seem to ants..."
and I also ask "Well if you can't understand God how do you know he loves us? Wants us to be happy? or wants anything or doesn't want other things, if you can't even understand his intentions or needs and you actually believe in him then how will I understand it?"

Also the Bible was definitely a work of flawed men, the way it contradicts itself and reality is proof enough.

[Image: sagansig_zps6vhbql6m.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like SitaSky's post