"Humans aren't capable of writing the Bible"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-06-2016, 12:07 AM
RE: "Humans aren't capable of writing the Bible"
(01-06-2016 07:31 AM)SkepticalDaniel Wrote:  Any time I ask a theist how the know the Bible is God's direct word, the responses usually vary. One answer which I do see sometimes is this:

Quote:"Humans aren't capable of writing the Bible. It says in Jeremiah that the heart is decietful, and it says also in Romans chapter 8 that man is naturally at enminty with God."

In other words they know it is the direct word of God because it says so in the Bible.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-06-2016, 10:00 AM
Surely any god worthy of the name isn't capable of writing the Bible as it stands.

It's almost as if God was an illiterate stone age goat herder who knew bugger all other than old myths.

What do you mean Life is short. It's the longest thing you're going to do.
[+] 1 user Likes stevec's post
07-06-2016, 11:14 AM
Yea-buh, Gwad doesn't need the bible. Cuz his holy word is written on our hearts.

Have you ever tried to write on a human heart before? It's near impossible. The person keeps screaming and moving around. That's why God is so great because he has such a steady hand.

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
07-06-2016, 12:03 PM
If we were created in God's image, then yes it rationally follows that we couldn't have written the bible.

'Murican Canadian
07-06-2016, 12:30 PM
(01-06-2016 07:31 AM)SkepticalDaniel Wrote:  Any time I ask a theist how the know the Bible is God's direct word, the responses usually vary. One answer which I do see sometimes is this:

Quote:"Humans aren't capable of writing the Bible. It says in Jeremiah that the heart is decietful, and it says also in Romans chapter 8 that man is naturally at enminty with God."

Funny that we have the names of so many of the authors of the books of the bible, then, isn't it?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
13-06-2016, 12:13 PM
(01-06-2016 09:27 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  but I wonder if that person thinks they are capable of writing the Bhagavad Gita, Quran, Don Quixote, Tao Te Ching, The books of the dead, Norse Runes?

Of course we are... because we're inherently deceitful and our hearts are against God. So, it's really easy for us to write non-Biblical things.

See!? More proof she's right!
[+] 1 user Likes RobbyPants's post
13-06-2016, 01:08 PM
(06-06-2016 10:07 PM)natachan Wrote:  Is that the verse in Jeremiah that says "How can you say, ‘We are wise, and the law of the LORD is with us’? But behold, the lying pen of the scribes has made it into a lie." Sounds like an indictment of the bible to me.

And how exactly did we get the bible if men could not write it? Even if angels dictated it, GOD DOES NOT HOLD PENS. Men have the sole ability to hold pens and make books with them. The words had to be copied down by men, and kept by men. And through this process some changes occur, as is common in texts passed down by hand this way.

They should read A Canticle For Leibowitz.

Great little book.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 2 users Like Minimalist's post
13-06-2016, 01:14 PM

Huh? The Book of Mormon was said to be written by an Angel, but look at the Bible. I don't think any of those books even pretend to not having be written by a man, except I did see once a woman writer saying she could tell that the Book of Ruth was written by a woman.
13-06-2016, 05:24 PM
Hi Daniel,

From reading several of your posts, I highly recommend reading Bart Ehrman's The Bible: A Historical and Literary Introduction. It will give you a lot of background on the beliefs found in the Bible and the mindset of the people of the time. It's a great beginner's book because it's very well written and lays everything out in an easy to understand fashion and it is an interesting read. Once you find out some scholarly biblical history and background, it becomes quite clear that the Bible was written by man and not a god. Educating yourself on biblical history from a scholarly perspective will really help to undue some of the brainwashing you have been given by the church.
[+] 2 users Like jennybee's post