Humility

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-04-2013, 04:37 PM
RE: Humility
Humility is the quality of being modest and respectful.

Being humble is something we all do. I mean nothing is more humbling than realizing we are just human beings trying to share the world together with one another, with the intention to minimize harm, and die in such a way that we left the earth in better condition than we entered it.

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-04-2013, 04:39 PM
(11-04-2013 04:37 PM)fstratzero Wrote:  Humility is the quality of being modest and respectful.

Being humble is something we all do. I mean nothing is more humbling than realizing we are just human beings trying to share the world together with one another, with the intention to minimize harm, and die in such a way that we left the earth in better condition than we entered it.

So, no Republicans are humble?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
11-04-2013, 04:44 PM
(11-04-2013 04:39 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(11-04-2013 04:37 PM)fstratzero Wrote:  Humility is the quality of being modest and respectful.

Aw come on, a lot of people I know are Republicans. Some are pretty awesome. Others... not so much.

Semper requiremus veritatis.
11-04-2013, 04:47 PM

I suppose that depends on how you view leaving the earth in a better condition if you mean the natural environment or more the community of mankind. Lowering the future burden of government spending on future generations is not in itself a bad thing.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
11-04-2013, 04:53 PM
(11-04-2013 04:47 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(11-04-2013 04:39 PM)Chas Wrote:  So, no Republicans are humble?

I suppose that depends on how you view leaving the earth in a better condition if you mean the natural environment or more the community of mankind. Lowering the future burden of government spending on future generations is not in itself a bad thing.

Yes of course!

Misplaced compassion often leads to great follies.

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
11-04-2013, 05:11 PM

I'm sure there's at least a few people who believe that all the rest of the species on Earth would be better off if humans went extinct. Are any Republicans disregarding global warming for the sake of whales?....No? Then correct: no republicans are humble Wink

11-04-2013, 05:21 PM
(11-04-2013 05:11 PM)TheGulegon Wrote:  
(11-04-2013 04:39 PM)Chas Wrote:  So, no Republicans are humble?

I'm sure there's at least a few people who believe that all the rest of the species on Earth would be better off if humans went extinct. Are any Republicans disregarding global warming for the sake of whales?....No? Then correct: no republicans are humble Wink

Being humble doesn't mean that you have correct ideas. Humility only has to do with the quality of being modest and respectful. Nothing else.

-Baron d'Holbach-
11-04-2013, 05:27 PM

"That is difficult to reconcile. Some people don't reconcile it at all and become Atheist or Agnostic because they don't have the humility to consider that the flaw of reasoning is on their part and not God's"

I'm not sure what the title of the class is, but I'm surprised you're getting an A, because if your instructor said the above, she was right. But if it's not theology but rather history, then fine, I suppose it doesn't matter if you're wrong on this point.

The fact is if you have a correct understanding of the concept of "God." Then you would realize that what makes something good or bad is whether or not God does it. But atheists are so egocentric that they kill God in their minds so they can be greater than God, and then they lose the concept of God.

And this is irrespective of God's actual existence. I'm only talking about the concept of a being in which no greater can be conceived. Such a being cannot be regulated or judged by standards of right or wrong, because such a being defines right and wrong.

So, if you understood this, you could easily reconcile a God of Love who is at the same time a God of Vengence. So, your problem is you don't have a concept of God because you're too busy judging God, which is absurd, and therefore you lack the humility to realize the fault is yours not God's.

Again, all of this is regardless of whether or not God actually exists.

The reason I can never get an argument going with atheists about the existence of God is because they are so hyper-religious about their atheism that they won't even form a concept of God.

Good luck in your class. I'm sure you're only taking it because you need to be a stronger atheist. I'm sure that's why your staying after to talk about God with the professor; I'm sure that's why you're in an atheist forum fishing for responses--because you just want to be a better atheist.

I swear, you guys kill me.
Quote this message in a reply
11-04-2013, 05:30 PM
(11-04-2013 05:21 PM)fstratzero Wrote:  
(11-04-2013 05:11 PM)TheGulegon Wrote:  I'm sure there's at least a few people who believe that all the rest of the species on Earth would be better off if humans went extinct. Are any Republicans disregarding global warming for the sake of whales?....No? Then correct: no republicans are humble Wink

Being humble doesn't mean that you have correct ideas. Humility only has to do with the quality of being modest and respectful. Nothing else.

Humility is over rated. Those who proclaim it are often the first to produce the knife once one's back is turned. I'd rather an honest self assurance to false modesty.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post
11-04-2013, 05:31 PM
(11-04-2013 05:30 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(11-04-2013 05:21 PM)fstratzero Wrote:  Being humble doesn't mean that you have correct ideas. Humility only has to do with the quality of being modest and respectful. Nothing else.

Humility is over rated. Those who proclaim it are often the first to produce the knife once one's back is turned. I'd rather an honest self assurance to false modesty.
Thumbsup I agree with you.

-Baron d'Holbach-