Humility

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-04-2013, 07:14 AM
RE: Humility
(11-04-2013 05:27 PM)Egor Wrote:  I swear, you guys kill me.

No such luck. Angel

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-04-2013, 07:46 AM
(11-04-2013 05:27 PM)Egor Wrote:  "That is difficult to reconcile. Some people don't reconcile it at all and become Atheist or Agnostic because they don't have the humility to consider that the flaw of reasoning is on their part and not God's"

I'm not sure what the title of the class is, but I'm surprised you're getting an A, because if your instructor said the above, she was right. But if it's not theology but rather history, then fine, I suppose it doesn't matter if you're wrong on this point.

The fact is if you have a correct understanding of the concept of "God." Then you would realize that what makes something good or bad is whether or not God does it. But atheists are so egocentric that they kill God in their minds so they can be greater than God, and then they lose the concept of God.

And this is irrespective of God's actual existence. I'm only talking about the concept of a being in which no greater can be conceived. Such a being cannot be regulated or judged by standards of right or wrong, because such a being defines right and wrong.

So, if you understood this, you could easily reconcile a God of Love who is at the same time a God of Vengence. So, your problem is you don't have a concept of God because you're too busy judging God, which is absurd, and therefore you lack the humility to realize the fault is yours not God's.

Again, all of this is regardless of whether or not God actually exists.

The reason I can never get an argument going with atheists about the existence of God is because they are so hyper-religious about their atheism that they won't even form a concept of God.

Good luck in your class. I'm sure you're only taking it because you need to be a stronger atheist. I'm sure that's why your staying after to talk about God with the professor; I'm sure that's why you're in an atheist forum fishing for responses--because you just want to be a better atheist.

I swear, you guys kill me.

I've read a lot of your posts before I joined - This is going to be good.

First, no it does not make something "good or bad" depending on if God did it. God killed everyone in a flood. It's pretty safe to say that drowning people en masse is NOT good.

I understand theology very intimately - I'm not a lifelong Atheist. I always have and still do read books and listen to lectures by theologians. I have a very good concept of what "God" is to most people. When I was a Christian, I was aware of the "Love - Justice" paradox. It was only when I looked at it OBJECTIVELY that I could see how bullshit that excuse is. If you love someone or something, you should NOT fear them. Ever. Quote me. Loving someone you fear is not acceptable, EVER.

And frankly, the arrogance here is the fact that not only are you calling me wrong for not believing in a being for which no evidence is provided, you are claiming to have the revelation of the morality of this deity by way of a book written before Vesuvius erupted by unverifiable authors (yes, I have studied the authorship of the Bible and yes, it is unverifiable) without this deity ever ONCE telling you this itself!

And to be clear, I take this class because I don't despise theology - I despise exclusivists and fundamentalists. I have a very clear, concise picture of the idea of God. I also have a clear idea of what a dragon is. They just aren't real.

Semper requiremus veritatis.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes FrostyMan's post
12-04-2013, 08:08 AM
(12-04-2013 07:46 AM)FrostyMan Wrote:  If you love someone or something, you should NOT fear them. Ever. Quote me. Loving someone you fear is not acceptable, EVER.

Wrong.

Poopyhead. Tongue

I'm afraid of my Gwynnies. Of anything happening to her. Of her ever seeing me in a bad light. That kinda thing.

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-04-2013, 08:54 AM
(12-04-2013 08:08 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
(12-04-2013 07:46 AM)FrostyMan Wrote:  If you love someone or something, you should NOT fear them. Ever. Quote me. Loving someone you fear is not acceptable, EVER.

Wrong.

Poopyhead. Tongue

I'm afraid of my Gwynnies. Of anything happening to her. Of her ever seeing me in a bad light. That kinda thing.

That's fearing for, not of. I'd agree there. I don't know anyone who doesn't fear for their loved ones.

12-04-2013, 02:42 PM
(12-04-2013 07:46 AM)FrostyMan Wrote:  
(11-04-2013 05:27 PM)Egor Wrote:  "That is difficult to reconcile. Some people don't reconcile it at all and become Atheist or Agnostic because they don't have the humility to consider that the flaw of reasoning is on their part and not God's"

I'm not sure what the title of the class is, but I'm surprised you're getting an A, because if your instructor said the above, she was right. But if it's not theology but rather history, then fine, I suppose it doesn't matter if you're wrong on this point.

The fact is if you have a correct understanding of the concept of "God." Then you would realize that what makes something good or bad is whether or not God does it. But atheists are so egocentric that they kill God in their minds so they can be greater than God, and then they lose the concept of God.

And this is irrespective of God's actual existence. I'm only talking about the concept of a being in which no greater can be conceived. Such a being cannot be regulated or judged by standards of right or wrong, because such a being defines right and wrong.

So, if you understood this, you could easily reconcile a God of Love who is at the same time a God of Vengence. So, your problem is you don't have a concept of God because you're too busy judging God, which is absurd, and therefore you lack the humility to realize the fault is yours not God's.

Again, all of this is regardless of whether or not God actually exists.

The reason I can never get an argument going with atheists about the existence of God is because they are so hyper-religious about their atheism that they won't even form a concept of God.

Good luck in your class. I'm sure you're only taking it because you need to be a stronger atheist. I'm sure that's why your staying after to talk about God with the professor; I'm sure that's why you're in an atheist forum fishing for responses--because you just want to be a better atheist.

I swear, you guys kill me.

I've read a lot of your posts before I joined - This is going to be good.

First, no it does not make something "good or bad" depending on if God did it. God killed everyone in a flood. It's pretty safe to say that drowning people en masse is NOT good.

I understand theology very intimately - I'm not a lifelong Atheist. I always have and still do read books and listen to lectures by theologians. I have a very good concept of what "God" is to most people. When I was a Christian, I was aware of the "Love - Justice" paradox. It was only when I looked at it OBJECTIVELY that I could see how bullshit that excuse is. If you love someone or something, you should NOT fear them. Ever. Quote me. Loving someone you fear is not acceptable, EVER.

And frankly, the arrogance here is the fact that not only are you calling me wrong for not believing in a being for which no evidence is provided, you are claiming to have the revelation of the morality of this deity by way of a book written before Vesuvius erupted by unverifiable authors (yes, I have studied the authorship of the Bible and yes, it is unverifiable) without this deity ever ONCE telling you this itself!

And to be clear, I take this class because I don't despise theology - I despise exclusivists and fundamentalists. I have a very clear, concise picture of the idea of God. I also have a clear idea of what a dragon is. They just aren't real.

Um he wrote his own bible. I have no idea if he included the Noah story or dumped the entire Old Testament.

But I would say that cutting out the Old Testament is a great way to improve Christianity ten fold.

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
12-04-2013, 04:38 PM
(12-04-2013 02:42 PM)fstratzero Wrote:  
(12-04-2013 07:46 AM)FrostyMan Wrote:  I've read a lot of your posts before I joined - This is going to be good.

Um he wrote his own bible. I have no idea if he included the Noah story or dumped the entire Old Testament.

But I would say that cutting out the Old Testament is a great way to improve Christianity ten fold.

I'd agree it improves Christianity morally, but the religion itself makes no damn sense without the Old Testament. Christianity is founded on eschatological theology found in the Old Testament. And interestingly enough, I did a bit of a "Jefferson Bible" thing myself. I cut out any part of scripture that made no sense to me in order to explain how radically different it would have to be in order to be even remotely plausible. Also, I'd think writing your own holy book constitutes a different faith entirely.