Humor: The case for the existence of hell

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-03-2017, 10:38 AM
RE: Humor: The case for the existence of hell
(12-03-2017 01:17 AM)JesseB Wrote:  To me this silly story is just as valid as any religious belief out there.

And is as coherent as Donald Trump's tweets. Damnation by faint praise.

One of Terry Pratchett's creations, the Nac Mac Feegle, had a similar view. They figured that they had died and gone to paradise. It was the reasonable conclusion given the vast number of things to eat, drink, steal, or fight with in this life. Nac Mac Feegle who died in this world were mourned, for they had just been reincarnated in some dreary cubicle job.

A more accurate assessment suggests that we live in a very organic world, with all the problems that creates. That's made worse by some complete bastards and better by some truly wonderful people.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Paleophyte's post
12-03-2017, 06:27 PM
(12-03-2017 01:17 AM)JesseB Wrote:  This is not a troll, please relax and enjoy it for what it is. It's nothing more than a satire on reality at worst.

I consider this a fun existential mental game. It's likely for reasons like this, that most of my friends think I'm macabre and dark lol. This is not reflective of reality nor is it the sum total of my position or outlook on life or the world. I consider myself a reasonably happy person and not particularly depressed so any who get that vibe please understand that its totally ok to embrace the darker emotions (sadness, loss, emptiness). A complete human feels a complete range of emotions. If you're position is everyone must be happy all the time, and can never talk about seemingly dark topics, then I pity you. I suggest if that is the case you might want to protect yourself from what's below. For everyone else, please enjoy this fun crazy idea.

I have sad tidings everyone. You are all of you dead already, and this is hell. From the pope to the children he is forcing aids upon with his madness, from your parents to your religious neighbors. From the scientists who and free thinkers who say there is no god, to the politicians who are bent on destroying the world. All of us were born into hell already. There is no salvation, there is no happy ending for any of us, simply the delusions of those desperate to escape the punishment they've already earned. And the acceptance of those of us willing to embrace the nothingness that is our fate.

Imagine a world of magic and wonder, a world of Unicorns, wise and ancient mages who can summon fireballs from their fingers, immortal super men and women who can shrug off bullets and fire lasers from their eyes. Now come back to reality, look around you as you sit in your cubicle next to people you really don't care for that much. But let’s face it you need this job so smile and pretend to love your torture. Deep down inside you know it’s true, you know you were meant for more. Some desperately search for power and magic, praying to the gods in their head, begging for the world we are denied. Forced only to experience paradise through the windows of books. Clearly, you are in hell. What redemption is there from hell? our only possible salvation is to embrace the nothingness to be found in our death, no one will save any of us and deep down even the pope knows this.

Isn't this a more reasonable conclusion to draw on from reality than the idea that this is somehow a "test." After all what kind of sadist would test those he supposedly loves by tormenting them, giving them minds and emotions capable of so much, then giving them a world so restrictive and unfulfilling. Surely all the suffering in the world, if there is a god means we must then already be in hell. It's no wonder god never speaks to us for real, only through the delusional imaginings of the damned, our fellow prisoners. He's too busy in the real world with magic and wonder, leading them to paradise and adding to our torment by allowing us to glimpse that world through books and movies.

To me this silly story is just as valid as any religious belief out there.

Let me be clear, you're not dead or in hell. (Phew) At least there's no more evidence for that than there is for ANY gods. So relax and embrace the day! Congratulations for making it through my strange silly thoughts.

Thank you all for your time, I hope you enjoyed Smile
If this is hell I hope I come right back here when I die.
In fact I fear going to a an eternity of anything monotonous.
Give me an infinity of lifetimes where I live & die. Yup that's my heaven.
12-03-2017, 06:32 PM
Meh, between this and Valhalla (if I could have a choice) I might pick Valhalla, that one too you get to live and die. And you can freely take out your pent up aggression every day without judgement lol.

But I understand what you're getting at. An interesting way of looking at it, thanks.

DLJ Wrote:And, yes, the principle of freedom of expression works both ways... if someone starts shit, better shit is the best counter-argument.
Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes JesseB's post
12-03-2017, 06:33 PM
(12-03-2017 10:38 AM)Paleophyte Wrote:  
(12-03-2017 01:17 AM)JesseB Wrote:  To me this silly story is just as valid as any religious belief out there.

And is as coherent as Donald Trump's tweets. Damnation by faint praise.

One of Terry Pratchett's creations, the Nac Mac Feegle, had a similar view. They figured that they had died and gone to paradise. It was the reasonable conclusion given the vast number of things to eat, drink, steal, or fight with in this life. Nac Mac Feegle who died in this world were mourned, for they had just been reincarnated in some dreary cubicle job.

A more accurate assessment suggests that we live in a very organic world, with all the problems that creates. That's made worse by some complete bastards and better by some truly wonderful people.

Exactly good sir! Well done! Smile

DLJ Wrote:And, yes, the principle of freedom of expression works both ways... if someone starts shit, better shit is the best counter-argument.
Big Grin
12-03-2017, 06:36 PM
(12-03-2017 07:53 AM)jennybee Wrote:  
(12-03-2017 04:06 AM)JesseB Wrote:  I'm pretty sure you're right about that Evolutionkills, though I don't remember Zoroastrianism or any other prior religion making anything as elaborate a torture scene as "Dante's Inferno," Even with judgement Christians have for the most part been near unrivaled in their cruelty. And Yes I Include Islamic faiths in that analysis too. Lets face it, the "Abrahamic" faiths have all had a rather nasty streak in them from the beginning. Any faith based system resorts to violence, but few to the extent of the big 3 of monotheism.

The Book of Arda Viraf (Zoroastrian text) mentions several punishments one can endure in hell. Punishments include eating all kinds of nasty things like corpses, menstrual blood, excrement, even eating the brains of their own children, dismemberment, mutilation, getting stretched on racks, starvation, getting turned into serpents, having eyes gouged out, and penises gnawed off. Demon-like animal creatures with horns also appear in this version of hell. Fire is sacred to the Zoroastrians and so it is employed only in hell by use of heated items like a hot cauldron used to pour on someone as punishment. (Eileen Gardiner, Zoroastrian Hell, 2006).

*Btw, Gardiner has an interesting website called Hell-On-Line.org where she writes about versions of hell in various religions.

I don't see how consuming menstrual blood is some sort of punishment.... I mean its par for the course when you go down on her at that time of the month. But then maybe my ex wife and I were just more kinky than most.... lol

But well said, thank you Smile

Big Grin
12-03-2017, 06:37 PM
(12-03-2017 01:17 AM)JesseB Wrote:  I have sad tidings everyone. You are all of you dead already, and this is hell. From the pope to the children he is forcing aids upon with his madness, from your parents to your religious neighbors. From the scientists who and free thinkers who say there is no god, to the politicians who are bent on destroying the world. All of us were born into hell already. There is no salvation, there is no happy ending for any of us, simply the delusions of those desperate to escape the punishment they've already earned. And the acceptance of those of us willing to embrace the nothingness that is our fate.

Suddenly it all makes sense Tongue

"Throughout history, every mystery, ever solved, has turned out to be; Not magic."
[+] 1 user Likes M. Linoge's post
12-03-2017, 06:39 PM
(12-03-2017 09:25 AM)Robvalue Wrote:  If you don't believe in hell, that means you think murderers who don't get caught are awesome and you want to buy them ice-cream.

Yea.... we've all heard that one. Sure why not. and While you're at it I'll take a side order of baby to eat for later. The best desert an Atheist like me could ask for right? Nice one though Smile you're proving to be as fun as I thought you'd be Smile

Big Grin
[+] 2 users Like JesseB's post
12-03-2017, 06:40 PM
(12-03-2017 08:08 AM)TheInquisition Wrote:  
(12-03-2017 01:17 AM)JesseB Wrote:  This is not a troll, please relax and enjoy it for what it is. It's nothing more than a satire on reality at worst.

I consider this a fun existential mental game. It's likely for reasons like this, that most of my friends think I'm macabre and dark lol. This is not reflective of reality nor is it the sum total of my position or outlook on life or the world. I consider myself a reasonably happy person and not particularly depressed so any who get that vibe please understand that its totally ok to embrace the darker emotions (sadness, loss, emptiness). A complete human feels a complete range of emotions. If you're position is everyone must be happy all the time, and can never talk about seemingly dark topics, then I pity you. I suggest if that is the case you might want to protect yourself from what's below. For everyone else, please enjoy this fun crazy idea.

I have sad tidings everyone. You are all of you dead already, and this is hell. From the pope to the children he is forcing aids upon with his madness, from your parents to your religious neighbors. From the scientists who and free thinkers who say there is no god, to the politicians who are bent on destroying the world. All of us were born into hell already. There is no salvation, there is no happy ending for any of us, simply the delusions of those desperate to escape the punishment they've already earned. And the acceptance of those of us willing to embrace the nothingness that is our fate.

Imagine a world of magic and wonder, a world of Unicorns, wise and ancient mages who can summon fireballs from their fingers, immortal super men and women who can shrug off bullets and fire lasers from their eyes. Now come back to reality, look around you as you sit in your cubicle next to people you really don't care for that much. But let’s face it you need this job so smile and pretend to love your torture. Deep down inside you know it’s true, you know you were meant for more. Some desperately search for power and magic, praying to the gods in their head, begging for the world we are denied. Forced only to experience paradise through the windows of books. Clearly, you are in hell. What redemption is there from hell? our only possible salvation is to embrace the nothingness to be found in our death, no one will save any of us and deep down even the pope knows this.

Isn't this a more reasonable conclusion to draw on from reality than the idea that this is somehow a "test." After all what kind of sadist would test those he supposedly loves by tormenting them, giving them minds and emotions capable of so much, then giving them a world so restrictive and unfulfilling. Surely all the suffering in the world, if there is a god means we must then already be in hell. It's no wonder god never speaks to us for real, only through the delusional imaginings of the damned, our fellow prisoners. He's too busy in the real world with magic and wonder, leading them to paradise and adding to our torment by allowing us to glimpse that world through books and movies.

To me this silly story is just as valid as any religious belief out there.

Let me be clear, you're not dead or in hell. (Phew) At least there's no more evidence for that than there is for ANY gods. So relax and embrace the day! Congratulations for making it through my strange silly thoughts.

Thank you all for your time, I hope you enjoyed Smile

Your depiction of reality actually makes more sense than many, it provides a better explanation for the problem of evil than the comparable Christian theodicies.

And this good sir is the point! Smile

Big Grin
12-03-2017, 06:41 PM
(12-03-2017 06:37 PM)M. Linoge Wrote:  
(12-03-2017 01:17 AM)JesseB Wrote:  I have sad tidings everyone. You are all of you dead already, and this is hell. From the pope to the children he is forcing aids upon with his madness, from your parents to your religious neighbors. From the scientists who and free thinkers who say there is no god, to the politicians who are bent on destroying the world. All of us were born into hell already. There is no salvation, there is no happy ending for any of us, simply the delusions of those desperate to escape the punishment they've already earned. And the acceptance of those of us willing to embrace the nothingness that is our fate.

Suddenly it all makes sense Tongue

HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHA (deep breath) HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA (passes out I laughed so hard)

Good one
Smile

Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes JesseB's post
12-03-2017, 06:42 PM
[Image: 53652492.jpg]

"Throughout history, every mystery, ever solved, has turned out to be; Not magic."
[+] 2 users Like M. Linoge's post