Humping buckets

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-03-2015, 07:48 AM
Humping buckets
Yup. It's that time again. Maple syrup season is upon us. I'll be out humping buckets for the next few weeks. I'm still a small scale syrup maker - and I still use plastic buckets (3.5 - 5 gallon). I do use plastic tubing and run multiple trees to one bucket, so it's a bit more efficient than the old way of hanging buckets on trees.

For the uninitiated -- you make maple syrup by boiling down maple sap. It takes between 30 and 50 gallons of sap to make a gallon of syrup. I made about 40 gallons syrup the last two years. You do the math. It's like work.

I boil it on an "arch" - a big pan, that's on a 275 gallon fuel oil drum - with a moving fire grate inside, and burns wood. I built my arch, and it's of my own design. A really efficient arch will boil approximately 25 gallons of syrup on a cord of good grade hardwood. Last year I got my best efficiency -- about 12 per cord. I did some redesign and rebuild the arch last summer. We'll see if I improved it.

I use two vehicles for making pickups . A Honda 4wd quad for in the trees in the woods, and a A.M. General DJ5 (r.h. driving mail jeep) for the trees on the road.

With any luck at all - we'll get a good run this year. (poor run last year) It'd be nice to sell enough to break even for once....

So, probably won't be on as much as usual.

Have fun... You know I will be --- Hobo

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like onlinebiker's post
05-03-2015, 07:57 AM
RE: Humping buckets
When I saw the title of this thread I was expecting something very different.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 6 users Like WillHopp's post
08-03-2015, 05:04 AM
apparently most of us were expecting actual bucket humping after reading the title
08-03-2015, 05:13 AM
humping = carrying

Lots of that coming up.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
08-03-2015, 05:42 AM
[Image: LOLwalrus+-+Mah+Bucket.jpg]

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 5 users Like EvolutionKills's post
08-03-2015, 04:03 PM
whatta day....

The snow is still deep enough that my quad barely makes it through -- so I couldn't pull the trailer with buckets -- had to just take a few buckets at a time, plus hose, fittings, drill, ect, all on the quad..... Then the shifter lever on the quad stripped out.... in deep snow -- so I couldn't shift into reverse, couldn't shut it off (or not start it again) -- so, basically had to muscle the damned thing through the snow.......

Only got about 30 trees tapped all day.......

Only a hundred or so to go............

Am I having fun yet????

08-03-2015, 05:38 PM
Humping buckets
Where do you sell it? I'm a Canadian frog living where people have never had real maple syrup. (Not the heavy syrup with flavoring.)
08-03-2015, 05:57 PM
(08-03-2015 04:03 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Am I having fun yet????

Not with your definition of humping Drinking Beverage

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 7 users Like Nurse's post
08-03-2015, 06:08 PM
(05-03-2015 07:48 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Yup. It's that time again. Maple syrup season is upon us. I'll be out humping buckets for the next few weeks. I'm still a small scale syrup maker - and I still use plastic buckets (3.5 - 5 gallon). I do use plastic tubing and run multiple trees to one bucket, so it's a bit more efficient than the old way of hanging buckets on trees.

For the uninitiated -- you make maple syrup by boiling down maple sap. It takes between 30 and 50 gallons of sap to make a gallon of syrup. I made about 40 gallons syrup the last two years. You do the math. It's like work.

I boil it on an "arch" - a big pan, that's on a 275 gallon fuel oil drum - with a moving fire grate inside, and burns wood. I built my arch, and it's of my own design. A really efficient arch will boil approximately 25 gallons of syrup on a cord of good grade hardwood. Last year I got my best efficiency -- about 12 per cord. I did some redesign and rebuild the arch last summer. We'll see if I improved it.

I use two vehicles for making pickups . A Honda 4wd quad for in the trees in the woods, and a A.M. General DJ5 (r.h. driving mail jeep) for the trees on the road.

With any luck at all - we'll get a good run this year. (poor run last year) It'd be nice to sell enough to break even for once....

So, probably won't be on as much as usual.

Have fun... You know I will be --- Hobo

You know the drill...pics or it didn’t happen Smile

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
08-03-2015, 06:36 PM
I want some. Smile

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces