Humpty Dumpty's Passion

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-05-2015, 12:40 PM
RE: Humpty Dumpty's Passion
(25-05-2015 07:52 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  So I ask you. Tell us what EXACTLY happened in that nursery rhyme.

So the reason I ask, is because we are so accustomed to "hearing" what we are acculturated to, that it affects how our brain automatically "translates" phrases/memes.
We know that the rhyme probably originally had an English historical context. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humpty_Dumpty
And that fact is used by BB Scott in his book about the Resurrection. http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...other-look

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
25-05-2015, 01:23 PM
(25-05-2015 12:40 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(25-05-2015 07:52 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  So I ask you. Tell us what EXACTLY happened in that nursery rhyme.

So the reason I ask, is because we are so accustomed to "hearing" what we are acculturated to, that it affects how our brain automatically "translates" phrases/memes.
We know that the rhyme probably originally had an English historical context. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humpty_Dumpty
And that fact is used by BB Scott in his book about the Resurrection. http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...other-look

Yeah when I just read this thread I sat and initially thought... wait, why do we proclaim Humpty Dumpty is an EGG. It's just assumed and so ingrained from the culture of knowing it already. From picturebooks or videos like that monstrosity posted.. or Alice in Wonderland.

Though loooking it up it makes sense as of it being a riddle and a reference to a drunkard probably initially.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
25-05-2015, 02:05 PM
(25-05-2015 01:23 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  
(25-05-2015 12:40 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  So the reason I ask, is because we are so accustomed to "hearing" what we are acculturated to, that it affects how our brain automatically "translates" phrases/memes.

Yeah when I just read this thread I sat and initially thought... wait, why do we proclaim Humpty Dumpty is an EGG. It's just assumed and so ingrained from the culture of knowing it already. From picturebooks or videos like that monstrosity posted.. or Alice in Wonderland.

Though loooking it up it makes sense as of it being a riddle and a reference to a drunkard probably initially.

It's kind of similar to Jesus always being a white blue eyed European. That's the way he's painted and new it's ingrained in the culture.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
25-05-2015, 02:24 PM
Humpty Dumpty's Passion
This must be true. An egg looks like a zero. In tennis, the score "love" comes from the French "l'œuf" or "the egg." Therefore, Humpty Dumpty is 0, or equilibrium. Furthermore, he is love.

Humpty Dumpty = egg = 0 = l'œuf = love.

I've been doing the math for two decades, so I know I'm right.

Checkmate, infidels.
[+] 3 users Like Clockwork's post
25-05-2015, 02:30 PM
You're offending me!

I have a personal relationship with Humpty Dumpty.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 5 users Like Mark Fulton's post
25-05-2015, 02:39 PM
Humpty Dumpty's Passion
You cannot scramble my faith. I'm a True Eggist, and I shall forever be sunny side up.
[+] 2 users Like Clockwork's post
25-05-2015, 02:44 PM
Take it over easy there, guys, it was just a yolk. You can't make an omelet without breaking a few eggs.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 2 users Like unfogged's post
25-05-2015, 02:50 PM
(25-05-2015 02:24 PM)Clockwork Wrote:  This must be true. An egg looks like a zero. In tennis, the score "love" comes from the French "l'œuf" or "the egg." Therefore, Humpty Dumpty is 0, or equilibrium. Furthermore, he is love.

Checkmate, infidels.

No no no.

There was no french and no tennis when these words were written.

You need to go back to the original meaning in the ancient Greek.

The greek word for egg is "auyo"

So Humpty is clearly calling us to follow Him.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
25-05-2015, 03:14 PM
(25-05-2015 02:50 PM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  
(25-05-2015 02:24 PM)Clockwork Wrote:  This must be true. An egg looks like a zero. In tennis, the score "love" comes from the French "l'œuf" or "the egg." Therefore, Humpty Dumpty is 0, or equilibrium. Furthermore, he is love.

Checkmate, infidels.

No no no.

There was no french and no tennis when these words were written.

You need to go back to the original meaning in the ancient Greek.

The greek word for egg is "auyo"

So Humpty is clearly calling us to follow Him.

I'm sorry what? Do chickens speak Greek? You are clearly trying to feather your own nest. The only good egg is a fried one.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
25-05-2015, 03:18 PM

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP