Hunting "Ethics"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-01-2015, 08:52 AM
Hunting "Ethics"
Face it - there’s really no such thing as “ethical” hunting - except for doing your best to make a quick kill. Don’t even get me started on “fair chase”. I’m sure the deer don’t consider it to be fair.

I just follow the laws as they are, and live with it. A good part of the laws are nothing more than arbitrary rules set up by a bunch of guys who “did things the way grandpa did ‘em”.

For instance - why is it legal to shoot a deer and catch a fish on a hook, but not vice versa? A tree stand with a fighting chair, a deep sea rod, 300 lbs test line, a treble hook properly baited - and I’ll bet a whitetail would give you the fight of your life. And who wouldn’t like to go trout fishing with a 30-06? Is one more cruel than the other, or is it simply the way it’s always been done?

If you really want to consider yourself some kind of purist who hunts “the way you’re supposed to hunt” - I suggest you get primal. Strip down naked, and chase the deer down on foot. OK, we’ll allow you a rock. But no sharpening the rock - and don’t even THINK about throwing the thing. That simply wouldn’t be sporting.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-01-2015, 10:48 AM
RE: Hunting "Ethics"
I recognize your right to hunt. Heck, I used to hunt but don't anymore. I realize the myriad of issues surrounding hunting. Have you seen:

The Cambridge Declaration on Consciousness
http://fcmconference.org/img/CambridgeDeclarationOnConsciousness.pdf
30-01-2015, 10:57 AM
(30-01-2015 08:52 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Face it - there’s really no such thing as “ethical” hunting

Hmm....doesn't that depend on what ethical system you subscribe to?

For sure, it is ethical according to Egoism.

"I don't mind being wrong...it's a time I get to learn something new..."
Me.
N.B: I routinely make edits to posts to correct grammar or spelling, or to restate a point more clearly. I only notify edits if they materially change meaning.
[+] 1 user Likes gofish!'s post
31-01-2015, 06:01 AM
(30-01-2015 08:52 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Face it - there’s really no such thing as “ethical” hunting - except for doing your best to make a quick kill. Don’t even get me started on “fair chase”. I’m sure the deer don’t consider it to be fair.

Well, there is hunting to manage the local ecology too - e.g. to prevent one species which no longer has predators from overgrazing or something like that.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
31-01-2015, 06:03 AM
Do you just mean hunting for sport, or hunting as a whole?

Saints live in flames; wise men, next to them.
31-01-2015, 08:41 AM
Try two at once.....

Hunting to control populations of certain species isn't really an ethic - it's simple logistics and convenience for the human population.

As for "sport" --- I abhor the term "sport" used for what I do. What I do, is simply predation. I'm killing, not playing basketball. I'm sure equating it with shuffleboard doesn't make the deer feel better about it. I take it seriously enough to do a good job of it.

Animals kill for sport -- ever seen a cat play with a mouse for an hour before killing it?

That's "sport".

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
31-01-2015, 09:10 AM
(31-01-2015 08:41 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Try two at once.....

Hunting to control populations of certain species isn't really an ethic - it's simple logistics and convenience for the human population.

As for "sport" --- I abhor the term "sport" used for what I do. What I do, is simply predation. I'm killing, not playing basketball. I'm sure equating it with shuffleboard doesn't make the deer feel better about it. I take it seriously enough to do a good job of it.

Animals kill for sport -- ever seen a cat play with a mouse for an hour before killing it?

That's "sport".

I use the term sport as that's what was referred to The Hunt in England before it was banned.

Personally, I'm against killing of animals unless it's for things such as culling to prevent spread of disease etc or for food.

Can I ask the motivation for your participating in such things?

Saints live in flames; wise men, next to them.
31-01-2015, 09:13 AM
Quite simple.

I love venison. Here in SW Michigan the deer are practically farm raised - they have such easy access to farm crops. Delicious...

31-01-2015, 09:14 AM
I don't usually refer to it as "hunting" -- I call it -- "free range grocery shopping"....

31-01-2015, 09:15 AM
(31-01-2015 09:13 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Quite simple.

I love venison. Here in SW Michigan the deer are practically farm raised - they have such easy access to farm crops. Delicious...

I like hunting Bambi too. Big Grin

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.