Hunting "Ethics"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-01-2015, 09:16 AM
RE: Hunting "Ethics"
(31-01-2015 09:13 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Quite simple.

I love venison. Here in SW Michigan the deer are practically farm raised - they have such easy access to farm crops. Delicious...

Fair enough then, I went to a large venison farm once but didn't get to try any because the on-site burger van was closed. Always a major regret :'(

Saints live in flames; wise men, next to them.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
31-01-2015, 09:38 AM
Venison isn't like beef, although with a bit of culinary trickery you can serve it like it is.

Beef - has fat throughout the muscle. Venison does not. I've been told that's why a deer is graceful and athletic - more density of muscle mass, versus the lumbering bovine.

If you get deer that live in food poor environments (like up north in Michigan during the winter) they'll eat damned near anything and the meat does take on an odd taste. Here where I hunt, they eat corn, soybeans, celery, apples, pears, blueberries , ect ---- and the meat tends to be very mild in flavor. I'm also fanatical about how I take care of the meat. Guys who "age" the meat by hanging it up in warm weather have a screw loose. I don't care for the taste of decay. I have a walk in freezer in my garage - and I've almost always got my deer cooling down, within an hour of being killed. I also do all my own butchering, so I know where dinner came from. I'm not a carnivore of convenience.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
31-01-2015, 04:56 PM
The last time I shot a trout with a 30-06, it exploded. No dinner for me.

The last time I hunted with a hook, the deer nibbled lightly for about an hour before it was scared away by my yelling "Just fucking put it in your mouth already! FUCK I wish I had a rifle!"

But other than those blatantly obvious reasons, I suppose you could have some vaguely resembling a crude caricature of a good point...eventually.

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Misanthropik's post
31-01-2015, 05:27 PM
I haven't been huntin' in a while. I typically will only go dove hunting - we don't have that much wooded family property. I had a patient tell me that's the one animal he wouldn't hunt because it was god's messenger of peace. Personally, I like the taste of them wrapped in bacon, smoked, and lathered in white sauce.

Deer overpopulation is a problem not just for humans, but the deer and surrounding wildlife, too. I'm not following on how population control to prevent needless starvation and spread of disease is unethical. And it's damn frustrating when they destroy your vegetable garden and eat your flowers. Unfortunately it's illegal to shoot the eight deer that have been hanging out in my back yard every night because it's in city limits. I think of it as the circle of life, or the food chain, and goddamn deer jerky is fucking awesome. Following hunting regulations, putting down your prey as quickly and humanely as possible, and eating your kill, nope, don't see a problem with it.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 4 users Like Nurse's post
31-01-2015, 05:31 PM
I love jerky... Make it by marinading in whiskey and some seasonings - then out to the smokehouse -- for 3 weeks of cold weather smoking.....

I'm out already. Never make enough...

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
31-01-2015, 10:28 PM
A lot of the hunting you see on TV feels pretty appalling. Rednecks yucking it up with no acknowledgement of the loss of intelligent life.

I'm extremely ambivalent about hunting. I love hunting dogs and I've known no greater thrill than working with a dog to find birds and walking up behind that dog who is quivering with anticipation, locked on point. The relationship between dog and Hunter is intense, and beautiful.
I believe the thrill of the hunt to be instinctual.

At the same time I always feel the sting of sadness with a strikingly beautiful still warm quail or partridge in hand. It's all the stuff of life and death in microcosm. I've learned a lot about myself through hunting.
31-01-2015, 11:57 PM
(31-01-2015 05:27 PM)Nurse Wrote:  Personally, I like the taste of them wrapped in bacon, smoked, and lathered in white sauce.

Never had Dove with white sauce. We always wrapped em bacon and marinated with Dale's and Italian dressing. Going to miss Thomas BBQ chicken with white sauce terribly now that they're gone though. Sadcryface2

Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.

[Image: anigrey.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Popeye's Pappy's post
01-02-2015, 12:16 AM
(31-01-2015 05:27 PM)Nurse Wrote:  I had a patient tell me that's the one animal he wouldn't hunt because it was god's messenger of peace. Personally, I like the taste of them wrapped in bacon, smoked, and lathered in white sauce.

... No peace treaty with the man in the sky huh? Tongue

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 3 users Like morondog's post
01-02-2015, 08:27 AM
If it tastes good I'll bathe in its blood. All kidding aside I prefer to eat wild game. I don't know how anyone who eats meat could be anti hunting. I guess their to much of a pussy to do their own killing.
As far as ethics don't let it suffer and abide by the laws. If you're not going to eat it, don't kill it. I despise so called trophy hunters, I'd rather shoot a doe than a buck they taste better and you can't eat horns.
[+] 1 user Likes Jack_Ripper's post
01-02-2015, 10:23 AM
(01-02-2015 08:27 AM)Jack_Ripper Wrote:  If it tastes good I'll bathe in its blood. All kidding aside I prefer to eat wild game. I don't know how anyone who eats meat could be anti hunting. I guess their to much of a pussy to do their own killing.
As far as ethics don't let it suffer and abide by the laws. If you're not going to eat it, don't kill it. I despise so called trophy hunters, I'd rather shoot a doe than a buck they taste better and you can't eat horns.

To me - the ultimate trophy is a full freezer.

I've got only one rack off a buck I kept - and it just hangs in a tree by my garage. The only reason I kept that one is it had a unique feature -- a chunk of the antler had been taken out by what appears to be a 12 gauge slug. Bet that rang his bell......

The antlers usually just go in the dumpster with the rest of the skeleton... I don't leave those out for the critters - because they scatter the bones all over the yard and screw up the lawn mower. (5 gang reel mower)...

[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post